“Nice place for the price”

Bilmar Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 48 Hotels in Treasure Island
New Orleans, LA
“Nice place for the price”
Reviewed October 9, 2009

We read the reviews on the Bilmar and wanted a place on the beach. We were visiting the Tampa area to enjoy a Red Sox game so we wanted the best of both. It was on the beach but the distance from the water was a little far. The view was great. The room was exactly like the pictures which was ok. Not extravagent but acceptable. The small kitchenette was good for snacks, reheating and coffee in the mornings. After arrival we went over to the Publix and bought some snacks, lunch items and coffee fixings. It was really nice to be able to leisurely get up in the morning and have coffee on the balcony watching the ocean view and the morning people. The people at the reception desk were nice. Sloppy Joes was good and the cafe on site was good for breakfast. There are lots of good restaurants within driving distance for dinner or lunch away. If you are there on Sunday, dont miss the Festival of the Sun on the beach. It was definitely interesting and very spiritual. We also visited a couple of the parks for other beaches which were nice. I think it is a good place for the price and very centrally located. Would visit again!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (758)
Florida
Reviewed September 27, 2009

We had a good stay at this hotel. The staff were friendly and accommodating. The views to the Gulf are fabulous. The restaurant and bar is good and provides for a nice dining experience. Additionally, a Walgreens and Publics are just across the street.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed September 9, 2009

My husband and I traveled to the Bilmar recently from Ohio and had a wonderful time. The hotel was beautiful and the view from our room was awesome. The staff was great, starting with the front desk right down to the housekeeping/maintenance staff that always had a smile or a friendly hello whenever they saw you. Our room was clean and anything you needed or had a question about, someone was there to assist any time of day. The hotel was basically right off the beach and everything and anything you needed was within walking distance or not much further. Bazzies Beach Bar ajoining the hotel was great for a nice drink or two before relaxing and watching the sun set. We ate a few times at "Sloppy Joes" at the Bilmar and the food was fabulous! You couldn't ask for fresher seafood and wonderful, friendly service at a reasonable rate. A definite must if in the area! I think my favorite thing was walking out to the beach in the morning and seeing dolphins swimming right off the shore and then just walking for miles up the beach, it was so relaxing.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rosebud62
Sevenoaks Kent
Reviewed August 20, 2009

We loved the location of the hotel which was directly on the beach. There were fantastic views from our room which was beautifully cleaned each day. Two pools, slightly on the small side, but perfectly adequate for sunbathing and a dip during our short stay. The children loved the beach and sea. Treasure Island is quiet with a few lovely restaurant. We would recommend both Gigi's and Sloppy Joe's (attached to hotel). Although it is an older hotel it had a relaxing and safe atmosphere. The staff were extremely helpful when we couldn't get into our room safe. We wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Florida
Reviewed August 20, 2009

I had just had surgery to remove a lump from my breast and needed to get away. My husband suprised me with a trip to the Bilmar Beach Resort for 2 days of nothing but relaxing...It was wonderful!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed August 5, 2009

When we arrived at the Bilmar; we were supposed to get a discount for a wedding. They forced us to upgrade, but assured us the price would stay the same, as they had run out of rooms for the wedding party. When we got to our room, we began unpacking and noticed my daughter eating a cracker. We looked at the carpet and saw it was covered in filth, including many pieces of crackers under the bed. The room had not been vacumed. We spoke with the front desk, they sent a cleaning lady up, who vacumed everything but under the bed, after telling her that was where the mess was, leaving all of the cracker pieces, which I had to clean myself after she left. We During the week I came to ask about the bill. I was told that I was not in the computer for the wedding party. The manager on duty, Chris Ringwald actually increased my room rate to his highest price and told me that if I was supposed to have that discount it would have been written down, because his staff doesn't make mistakes. Then insulted me, but discussing my reservation with another woman, and both saying that I never said that it was a wedding rate. We were supposed to pay 99 dollars a night; but he told me that I have to pay the weekend rate of 189, and 165 per day during the week. I explained the problems with the room's cleanliness and he told me it wasn't in his computer and I had to be lying. Then I explained that the wireless internet wasn't working, and was told it had to be my computer, which is rediculus. - Guess what I'm typing on.
All in all, our vacation wasn't bad, but this hotel is. There were rarely ever towels for the pools, the restaurant's food made me sick for an entire day and couldn't leave the room, the wireless internet didn't work, the room was filthy, the staff were horrible, not to mention gave away the bridal sweet, after being resereved for over a year by the bride and groom. Treasure Island is a beautiful place to vacation, but do yourself a favor and stay far away from The Bilmar.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank austinp365
GMBBR, General Manager at Bilmar Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 18, 2009
Thank you for bringing your experience to my attention. I sincerely regret the condition of your carpet upon entering the room. That was certainly not up to the Bilmar Beach Resort standards and I sincerely apologize.

I would like to clarify the matter of your room rate. Our records indicate you booked the reservation for the same day you arrived. Before that time the wedding block had been released for general sale according to the contract and it appears you confirmed a Gulf Front Efficiency for $169.00 which is an upgrade from the contracted wedding rate and the only room type available at such a late date. It also appears we honored your request for a discounted room rate; please review your receipt again. Our copy clearly indicates that Mr. Ringwald discounted all of your room charges to the group rate; considerably less than your confirmed rate. I apologize if the adjustment, per your request, was not made clear to you but if your check you final receipt you will see you paid $420.00 less than you confirmed at the time of your reservation and check in.

I regret you did not feel well during part of your stay. I hope you pointed out any concerns to our restaurant team during your stay so we could address any issues and assist you during that time. Pool towels are a challenge at the beach and I am happy to report we are implementing a new exchange program to ensure fresh towels are available by request for our overnight guests. Also we have been having trouble with our complimentary wireless internet signal. In fact Mr. Ringwald is the manager working with the provider to have repairs made to the system so we can provide a more consistent signal.

I will agree there was an error on the reservation for the wedding party and we were happy to provide them a complimentary room until the Penthouse was available the next day.

Please be assured we strive to exceed the expectation of our guests, especially when joining us for a special occasion. While we obviously did not meet your expectations we have used your valuable input to improve our service and amenities. Thank you.
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed July 21, 2009

During my stay at the Bilmar Beach Resort, I experienced a couple of hiccups throughout my stay. It first began when the resort charged my credit card twice for my visit. After getting with the front desk manager, this issue was resolved. Secondly, maintenance had to switch out my refrigerator 3 times since it would not cool properly. However on the flip side, the resort is located within walking distance of a Publix and it save me money on food expenses versus eating out. Also, the beach experience was quite lovely with cooperative weather.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank FPiccolo
Thank you for sharing your experience during your visit to Treasure Island. I apologize for the error in your room charge. The certificate used for a complimentary stay was entered into the system after obtaining the authorization from your card upon check in which was a mistake on our part; thank you for helping us correct the matter. I am also sorry it took us 3 tries to repair your refrigerator. That is very unusual and we will monitor this to ensure there is not a trend with faulty units in our gulf front efficiencies.

I am very pleased you enjoyed the beach and amenities the Bilmar Beach Resort and Treasure Island has to offer. It is certainly a piece of paradise to enjoy for vacation or a quick get away. Thank you again for your valuable input.