“Horrible Customer Service! Room was filthy!”

Bilmar Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 48 Hotels in Treasure Island
Baltimore, Maryland
“Horrible Customer Service! Room was filthy!”
Reviewed August 5, 2009

When we arrived at the Bilmar; we were supposed to get a discount for a wedding. They forced us to upgrade, but assured us the price would stay the same, as they had run out of rooms for the wedding party. When we got to our room, we began unpacking and noticed my daughter eating a cracker. We looked at the carpet and saw it was covered in filth, including many pieces of crackers under the bed. The room had not been vacumed. We spoke with the front desk, they sent a cleaning lady up, who vacumed everything but under the bed, after telling her that was where the mess was, leaving all of the cracker pieces, which I had to clean myself after she left. We During the week I came to ask about the bill. I was told that I was not in the computer for the wedding party. The manager on duty, Chris Ringwald actually increased my room rate to his highest price and told me that if I was supposed to have that discount it would have been written down, because his staff doesn't make mistakes. Then insulted me, but discussing my reservation with another woman, and both saying that I never said that it was a wedding rate. We were supposed to pay 99 dollars a night; but he told me that I have to pay the weekend rate of 189, and 165 per day during the week. I explained the problems with the room's cleanliness and he told me it wasn't in his computer and I had to be lying. Then I explained that the wireless internet wasn't working, and was told it had to be my computer, which is rediculus. - Guess what I'm typing on.
All in all, our vacation wasn't bad, but this hotel is. There were rarely ever towels for the pools, the restaurant's food made me sick for an entire day and couldn't leave the room, the wireless internet didn't work, the room was filthy, the staff were horrible, not to mention gave away the bridal sweet, after being resereved for over a year by the bride and groom. Treasure Island is a beautiful place to vacation, but do yourself a favor and stay far away from The Bilmar.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank austinp365
GMBBR, General Manager at Bilmar Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 18, 2009
Thank you for bringing your experience to my attention. I sincerely regret the condition of your carpet upon entering the room. That was certainly not up to the Bilmar Beach Resort standards and I sincerely apologize.

I would like to clarify the matter of your room rate. Our records indicate you booked the reservation for the same day you arrived. Before that time the wedding block had been released for general sale according to the contract and it appears you confirmed a Gulf Front Efficiency for $169.00 which is an upgrade from the contracted wedding rate and the only room type available at such a late date. It also appears we honored your request for a discounted room rate; please review your receipt again. Our copy clearly indicates that Mr. Ringwald discounted all of your room charges to the group rate; considerably less than your confirmed rate. I apologize if the adjustment, per your request, was not made clear to you but if your check you final receipt you will see you paid $420.00 less than you confirmed at the time of your reservation and check in.

I regret you did not feel well during part of your stay. I hope you pointed out any concerns to our restaurant team during your stay so we could address any issues and assist you during that time. Pool towels are a challenge at the beach and I am happy to report we are implementing a new exchange program to ensure fresh towels are available by request for our overnight guests. Also we have been having trouble with our complimentary wireless internet signal. In fact Mr. Ringwald is the manager working with the provider to have repairs made to the system so we can provide a more consistent signal.

I will agree there was an error on the reservation for the wedding party and we were happy to provide them a complimentary room until the Penthouse was available the next day.

Please be assured we strive to exceed the expectation of our guests, especially when joining us for a special occasion. While we obviously did not meet your expectations we have used your valuable input to improve our service and amenities. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (750)
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed July 21, 2009

During my stay at the Bilmar Beach Resort, I experienced a couple of hiccups throughout my stay. It first began when the resort charged my credit card twice for my visit. After getting with the front desk manager, this issue was resolved. Secondly, maintenance had to switch out my refrigerator 3 times since it would not cool properly. However on the flip side, the resort is located within walking distance of a Publix and it save me money on food expenses versus eating out. Also, the beach experience was quite lovely with cooperative weather.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank FPiccolo
Thank you for sharing your experience during your visit to Treasure Island. I apologize for the error in your room charge. The certificate used for a complimentary stay was entered into the system after obtaining the authorization from your card upon check in which was a mistake on our part; thank you for helping us correct the matter. I am also sorry it took us 3 tries to repair your refrigerator. That is very unusual and we will monitor this to ensure there is not a trend with faulty units in our gulf front efficiencies.

I am very pleased you enjoyed the beach and amenities the Bilmar Beach Resort and Treasure Island has to offer. It is certainly a piece of paradise to enjoy for vacation or a quick get away. Thank you again for your valuable input.
The Villages, FL
Reviewed July 17, 2009

We are Florida residents, so we have a lot of choices not too far from where we live.
We were very pleased with our stay. The rooms are beautifully appointed and are clean.
Maintenance staff and resort personnel were highly visible and always at work cleaning, cleaning, cleaning. And everyone on staff was interested to make sure we were as comfortable as possible. Loved the experience.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
louisville, ky.
Reviewed July 16, 2009

My sister-in-law and I stayed July 9 - 15 '09. We were very pleased with our 7 th floor room with balcony. View was great. We were over the pool and Sloppy Joe's restaurant and it still was pretty quiet. The room , all the staff of the hotel and waiters and waitresses at Bazzies and Sloppy Joe's were great. Everyone was so friendly.
Housekeeping was excellent. Even the public restrooms were spotless! I couldn't open the safe 1 day so I called . Someone was there in 5 min.The food was excellent at both restaurants and reasonably priced.and large portions! We enjoyed laying on the beach . We rented an umbrella and 2 chairs. Well worth the $ 20.00 a day.We saw a BIG Stingray come up out of the water one day while we were in the ocean. So neat! Went parasailing. Loved it! We went to relax and we did. We would recommend it highly and hope to return in the future.Thanks in particular to Shauna, Ken at the front desk, Stephanie at Sloppy Joe's, Debbie & Doris ar Bazzie's & the others who made our stay enjoyable.And please give our thanks to the housekeeping staff. Also enjoyed the drumfest on the beach on Sunday night.

• Stayed July 2009
Jacksonville Florida
Reviewed July 16, 2009

What an excellent property! I have visited the Bilmar several times and have always had a fantastic time. The Gulf of Mexico is just steps away from the room! The pool area is very nice and clean. The staff is always so accomodating and friendly, never too busy to say hello or strike up a conversation.

The general area is also very upscale and clean. There are many places to eat a great meal or have a relaxing drink at a tiki bar. Traffice in the area is almost nill. I especially enjoy the overall feel of the area too.

This is my last day here and already my thoughts are of returning next year!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Pa
Reviewed July 9, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights. I loved the area but it rained a lot during our stay so we traveled to Siesta Key’s Beach about an hour away, I loved that beach. The hotel is not a resort by any means, I have stayed at resorts and this hotel is not even close but it is ok, we stayed on the 4th floor in a deluxe room right above Sloppy Joes Restaurant, the room looked nice when we arrived, but it smelled of fish the whole time we were there and we contributed that to the fact we were right above the restaurant. The parking is terrible and most of the time we had to park across the street that is very busy and hard to get across. I do have a good piece of advice take a pair of shoes to wear in the room because the carpet is very dirty and your feet will get very very dirty, and one more thing the internet is awful in the room.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank dixiegrlinpa
GMBBR, General Manager at Bilmar Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 13, 2009
Thank you for your recent visit to the Bilmar Beach Resort on Treasure Island. I appreciate your taking the time to comment on your stay. I apologize for the condition of your carpet and the crowded parking conditions your experienced. We will address the carpet condition immediately. With beach parking at a premium we are excited to have purchased the additional parking lots immediately across the street. The new lighted crosswalks installed will definetly make the short walk much more safe for our guests. With two pools, a hot tub, game deck, banquet facilities, two on site restaurants and one of the largest beaches in Florida we proudly name ourselves a Beach Resort. I look forward to your return and the opportunity to improve your opinion of our resort. Best regards.
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed July 8, 2009

Very nice modestly-priced motel. The beach here is great--very wide. The location is good--right off the main road that leads into Treasure Island. The rooms are decently sized, especially for the price ($99/night for a room with a balcony). We would definitely stay there again. For a great meal, try Keegan's Seafood Grille, up the road about 10 miles (in Indian Rocks Beach). We also had dinner at Sloppy Joe's (very good) and an Italian place about a block away (good, but a bit over-priced). The only problem was that there was a lot of rain during our stay, but that wasn't their fault!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family