“A little disappointed in this place!”

Bilmar Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 48 Hotels in Treasure Island
MA
“A little disappointed in this place!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2009

The room was pretty small adn the bathroom felt clostrophobic. We were in the beaches building, directly over Sloppy Joe's, which is okay, but with the entertainment on weekends, don't try getting any quiet until at least 10 or later. You have to keep the sliders closed and A/C turned on. Our balcony had a condensation issue on one side, and the constant drip, drip, drip almost drove my crazy! Especially at night as I liked sleeping with the slider open for the fresh air. The room also had a funny smell when laying on the left side bed....can't quite decide what it was but it definitely bothered me while trying to sleep. The room was surface clean, but if you walked on the rug with bare feet, you got black on your feet. We did have fun at Sloppy Joes - especially with the $10 margaritas! Highly recommend them...so big, but good! The hotel folks were all very nice, but after being told all the rooms had been redecorated, I was a little disappointed in what we got. Also, there was not one comfortable place to sit and relax. Balcony chairs were okay, but that's it. This is my second time there and I'd have to think twice about going back.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KZKAT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (734)
new england
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2009

After reading every hotel review under the sun for Treasure Island, I chose the Bilmar based on price and the fact that there was entertainment and a restaurant on site. We booked ahead and requested a first floor room with walkout to the beach. We had to pay a premium for this type of room in order to reserve it up front. It led directly to the beach which was nice, however, the beach in front of our room was not maintained in any way. It would have been nice if the sand was raked and the trash was picked up each day. Another negative was that our room was directly next to a VERY noisy generator that kicked on and off all day and night. Not at all relaxing when you are sitting outside trying to enjoy the sights and sounds. That really aggravated me that the hotel thought nothing of sticking us in that room and yet still charged a premium for it. The pool and hot tub are pretty good, nothing spectacular. It was a bit noisy around the pool the days we were there; lots of kids jumping in and out of the hot tub so we could not relax in the hot tub due to that. One very disturbing thing: One of the maids dropped off her 5 year old niece or daughter and left her unsupervised for hours at the pool. My husband and l were shocked that this child who was as cute as could be, was just left to swim in a pool with no adult to keep an eye on her. Very dangerous and very odd that someone would do something so reckless with a child. The sand isn't really sand on this beach; but rather broken little shells so you need sandals to walk to the water. We took a ride to Clearwater Beach which is where I would go next time. White sand like sugar. John's Pass was a great shopping destination. Fort DeSoto was a fabulous day at the beach, but I digress....The pros of the Bilmar: the staff are very friendly, the room was clean, the kitchen was handy. Live entertainment. But even so, I probably would stay elsewhere next time. Rooms and pool area were a little too "motel" like for my taste and I didn't appreciate having the generator blasting noise all day and night and not being told up front about it. I think Treasure Island is somewhat honky tonk and lower class then the other beach areas.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank floridatrip99
Chardon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2009

We stayed at the Bilmar in February this year, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Our room was lovely, and had all the amenities you would need, including a small kitchen, and a beautiful ocean view. We were close to Bazzie's Beach Bar and could enjoy the evening music as well as beautiful sunsets from the room's patio. The location is great, so you could either rest and enjoy the 2 pools, or swim in the ocean, just read a book, or go to local sites which were close by, such as Heritage Village, Florida Sunken Gardens, as well as shopping. Sloppy Joe's Restaurant was also great, offered good food and views of the ocean and sunset. Had something for everyone. Jazz concerts were at Bazzie's on Wednesday which was a pleasant surprise. Friendly and helpful staff were also a plus. Good value for the money, and we would definitely go back.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GrandmaY
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2009

If you think that the Bilmar is like any of the motels at the Jersey shore then you haven't stayed at one lately, I stayed at The Aztec last year, that is a dump and they call themselves a resort. We stayed at The Bilmar two years ago and it was great. I would recommed it to anybody. The Jersey shore or the south Bronx it's not

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2009

We like the stay. The rooms are clean, and well taken care of. The service is good. We like to stay on the beach. It is nice to have a restruant at the hotel. Know one bothers you.
But as I said before, you need new windows. They look bad from both the inside and outside. Other then the windows I have no other thing to complaine about.
I do wish your prices were lower, and that you would honar the coupons more often when they are in the books.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
new jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2009

after reading most of the favorable posts here on the Bilmar, we booked a spring break trip with my wife and young daughter..and upon our arrival i could only mutter these simple words, "You gotta be kidding me." this place is a dump..for those of you from the northeast, this place had too much of a jersey shorish feel to it for my taste..the room was cruddy and the carpet stank of wet feet and mildew.. the pool was just ok but my backyard pool is in better condition.. the lounge chairs were faded rickety and old..and the gym (if you can call it that. more like a converted storage room) had not been cleaned in ages. the equipment was filthy the floors was covered with rust colored stains from the leaking air conditioning ducts that ran through the room..this place sucked and the only reason i didn't check out was because i didn't want to disappoint my little girl..I asked for an upgrade to the tower but there was nothing available. The Bilmar is in serious need of a complete upgrade before it can be called a resort of any kind. I stayed drunk the whole week to keep my mind off of what a complete waste of money this dump was.. Stay at the Sand Piper, the Tradewinds, the Marriot or the Don Cesar Resorts.. this place is a dump stay away

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2009

It was just nice. Me and my fiance stayed here for a week at the end of May. I didn't have too high of expectations for this hotel, seeing how outdated it looks, but it ended up being alittle better than I had expected. The beach is huge and looks amazing from your room, but it is hardly even sand. It is basically broken up shells and can be painful to walk on, so wear your sandles until you are closer to the water. The pool is alright, you cannot see the beach from the pool because the hotel surrounds it, but it can actually be nice because it shelters you from the whipping sand on a windy day on the beach. Once the sun goes down it gets kind of boring. There is Sloppy Joes which is nice and a few other little places within walking distance but kinda gets old after 3 nights. The drive to St. Petersburg isn't bad and there are lots of shops and food options. Overall the hotel its itself was nice but if you want a good beach go to Clearwater.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business