“Exterior needs some work but rooms are very nice”

Bilmar Beach Resort
Ranked #8 of 48 Hotels in Treasure Island
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Visiting family members we decided to spend the night at the Bilmar. The building is very old but we were pleasantly surprised how nice the room was. Very clean and a great view of the gulf. We used the pool by Sloppy Joe's after we checked in and that pool needs some serious work. Their are chunks of concrete missing from the bottom of the pool and lots of hair floating around. The next day we used the other pool and it was VERY nice. A lot cleaner and a nice sunny location. They charge you a $15.00 resort fee and this enables you to rent a kayak or paddle board however after waiting 40 minutes nobody showed up for us to get the paddle board. I voiced my opinion at the front desk however their explanation was the outfit that rents them out is not employed by them. Lame excuse cause I still was out the $15.00. Would not return.......

Room Tip: We were on the third floor by the elevator and it was very quiet.
2  Thank lovetotravel0075
Write a ReviewReviews (2,192)

Reviewed July 22, 2014

The Bilmar Beach Resort is an institution on Treasure Island, having been there as long as anyone can remember. The exterior has a 70's vibe that continues into the lobby and, yes, right into the rooms. We had a beachfront, first floor room with a full kitchen. Be warned, however, that the beach is extremely wide so you still have a trek to the water.The furnishings were nice and the tile floors were clean as were the bathroom and kitchen.

As someone said earlier, the people at the front desk are as warm as the beach itself. Our early check-in was handled by a delightful woman with a handful of coupons for free drinks, discounted food, free kayak rentals and beach chairs. This set the mood for our entire visit. Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful in every way. We also had no problem arranging for a late checkout to give us more time to enjoy drinks at the inviting Sloppy Joe's bar and the wide uncrowded beach. The Bilmar is nothing fancy, but a great value and a great place to relax. Very family-friendly too.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Roadwise_10
Reviewed July 21, 2014

We were in Treasure Island visiting with friends. We stayed 2 nights. The front desk check in was a great experience. We got to check in about 2 pm, 2 hours earlier than expected with no hesitation. The woman was wonderfully pleasant.
The room was beautiful. It was spotless and the view of the beach was incredible. The beds were very comfortable too.
If we go back to Treasure Island, we'd definitely stay at the Bilmar again! Thanks so much to the staff!

1  Thank Anonymous12852
Reviewed July 20, 2014

The room was clean and comfortable. It was nice to have the kitchenette. The bathroom was tiny, but in great condition. The hotel is right on the beach with a great view!!! The common areas of the hotel were kept very clean. A housekeeping or maintenance person was always around picking up or sweeping.

However, we will probably look for a hotel further from the strip next time. Its a very busy area and the onsite restaurants are open to the public. Good spot though if you don't want to be far from the action.

The hotel elevators are also easily accessible to people passing through to the restaurants or beach. Didn't really feel safe. The parking lot was a real challenge too. If you find a spot, its best to leave your car at the hotel and walk to restaurants.

Room Tip: Couples should choose an upper floor in the Tower. We had an end unit and it was very insulated from...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SWFL-WineSnob
Reviewed July 19, 2014

This is the second time we stayed here. The first time the only issues was that the bathtub was someone dirty. This time things were different, they were going to give the wrong room and the only proof I had that help me was my printed reservation. They were downgrading my reservation. As we where going up on the elevator we got stuck in it. We got out ok, but management did not bother putting a sign for the four days we were there and the next day someone else got stuck also. They new about the problem before I got there and did not bother indicating which elevator had the problem.
The bathtub again was dirt, this time the coffee maker was dirty too. At times we found roaches and ants in the room. The bathroom door is small as well as the bathroom area.
We stayed in a gulf view room with a balcony. The room has a small kitchen with a microwave, coffee maker and fridge. There are two restaurants in the hotel, one of them is Sloppy Joe's (good food), the other restaurant we have only had breakfast.
For the price we will not stay there again. We will definitely go back to Sloppy Joe's.
The hotel is in front of the beach but you still have a long walk to the beach. This is typical for this section of treasure island.
If you go there and want good eating suggestions as the older gentleman that tend the parking lot by the hotel.

Room Tip: If the tall building ask for a room above the second floor and away from the restaurant.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Suzy C
GMBBR, General Manager at Bilmar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2014

Dear Suzy,

Thank you for returning to the Bilmar for your beach getaway. I sincerely apologize we did not meet your expectations on this visit. Our elevators are under a full maintenance program with a national company and while they do malfunction on some occasions due to constant use and the beach elements that are hard on the metal parts the company is quick to address any issues and return the elevator to service. We did have a series of issues with one elevator in the tower recently but were assured the problem was addressed. Anytime we know a unit is not working properly we manually shut it down until the service technician gives us permission to put it back in service. I am embarrassed that the tub and coffee maker were not cleaned to our standards. We take pride in our cleanliness as noted on many other traveler’s reviews and will work harder to address this with all team members. I am glad you enjoyed Sloppy Joe’s, our signature gulf front dining room and the beach bar which boasts the best breakfast on the beach. I hope you will choose the Bilmar Beach Resort again and allow us to prove we can exceed your expectations in service and cleanliness.
Sincerely, Clyde Smith – General Manager

Reviewed July 19, 2014

We just got home from a 7 night stay at the Bilmar and had an awesome time. We stayed in a Gulf view efficiency and had an awesome view of the ocean. The beach was a short walk, maybe 5 minutes. Clean and tons of space on shoreline. With the resort fee we had use of two beach chairs every day, coupon for kayak or paddle board every day, beach towels, coupon for Bazzies restaurant , and a few other things. Location is super, McDonalds, Walgreens, Publix, and lots of other local places to eat and shop for souvenirs within walking distance. Two great pools, sun deck with games, and plenty of games that can be checked out from lobby. I highly recommend the resort and would go back in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Gulf view rooms are worth the extra money!

Dear Ann,

Thank you for spending a wonderful week at our resort! Your generous comments are appreciated and will be shared with all of our team members. We look forward to you returning to Treasure Island and the Bilmar soon.

Best regards, Clyde Smith – General Manager

Reviewed July 18, 2014

This was our third visit to the Bilmar in the past four years. We stayed six nights in July, in the Palms building, Gulf front deluxe studio on the sixth floor. We arrived around 9:30 a.m. on our first day and I went in to see if there was any possibility of an early check in (knowing check in was 4:00 pm). The lady I spoke with wasn't the friendliest by any means, but she said she would see what she could do and would call us when our room was ready--I have her my phone number to call or text. We went to the beach and had lunch, then I called around 1:00 pm to check the status--was told no room available yet. We waited around and finally I went in the lobby at 3:40 to check the status and was told "oh sorry, we forgot to call you". So, we checked in a few minutes before the stated 4:00 pm check in time. Not a real big deal, but I thought the situation could have been handled better.

Our room was clean and what we expected. We did not have housekeeping services during the week, but the housekeeping staff on our floor were always very friendly and asked if we needed anything. The area experienced a hard, driving rain the day before we left and water seeped in under the patio door, soaking the carpet. I called the front desk around noon that day to let them know and they said they had several calls and would get to it. We checked out the next day at 10:45 and no one had come to take care of the soaked carpet. Again, no big deal to us as we were leaving, but I would think the soaked carpet would cause some issues if not taken care of timely. I reminded the front desk about the situation.

Many previous reviewers have commented on the resort fee. We booked several months in advance and at check in I told the person I didn't want the resort fee. I don't know if it is "optional", but I hate to see fees such as this tacked on. I know it is disclosed on the web site, but I feel it is a nickel and dime gimmick. And understanding the hotel is under new ownership.

We enjoyed our stay, but any future visits I will spend more time searching for comparable quality and value accommodations in the area.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple