“Super Staff”

Bilmar Beach Resort
Ranked #8 of 48 Hotels in Treasure Island
Reviewed April 27, 2014

From the moment we checked in, the staff was superb. The women who worked the front desk should be award winning. I have over a million miles flown and stay in large chain hotels 2 nights per week for business making me a Starwood Platinum. For me, its always about how well the human interaction accomodates my situation. For example, we checked in late with two tired kids, Lisa at the front desk was completely on her game. She got us through check in so efficiently and quickly with gifts for the kids, it impressed this seldomly impressed native New Yorker.
After a day of our room growing smaller, I stopped by the fornt desk to discuss any available room change options. Ms Ramsey was absolutely awesome ! Upon trully listening to my tall order request, she actually took time to try and accomodate us. She was wonderful... didnt give the reflex response typically I get from most frost desk that seem too busy to care. Ms. Ramsey
should be given an award and certainly a raise for the way she has the ability to under promise and over deliver. She was able to help with our issue quickly, timely, politely, and best of all inexpensively. True example of the value that mature, humble, experienced staff can bring.

I wish I could say the same for some of the Bazzie's bar/staff staff.

Our wonderful stay was the week leading up to Easter. If not for Ms. Ramsey, I'm afraid our stay would not have be the memory we will now enjoy.

Room Tip: Every room has a gulf view
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,193)

Reviewed April 25, 2014

The inside is much better than the outside. Very quiet. Will stay here again. Very clean. Nice bed and great location. Get a nice sea breeze at night. The little kitchenette is all new. I love the private balcony and the staff was super super nice.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We were there the busy Easter weekend of 2014. The facility was very nice, well maintained and the staff were wonderful from the check in staff, to the other support staff around the resort.

The rooms were adequate size (we were 2 adults and 2 school age children). The beds were comfortable and they had 2 heated pools available, a bar and a restaurant on site.

The beach was beautiful, although the weather did not cooperate while we were there. There were many other shops around the hotel (Walgreens, Publix and many restaurants).

Overall, we were very satisfied. We wished we would have stayed longer and that the weather was nicer.

Room Tip: Rooms above the first floor will avoid the people leaving the bar and restaurant at night.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We spent 6 nights at the hotel. The staff was very helpful with all of our needs. Restaurant suggestions things to do on rainy day, we had several, they where just as friendly as could be. The room was very clean and had a very nice kitchenette where we would have coffee every morning and most breakfasts. There's a lot of things to do within walking distance day and night. The pools are small but that's part of the charm of this older style Florida hotel. You have a huge beach right behind the hotel to enjoy. Despite being there during the worst weather week they've had in a long time, we enjoyed ourselves.

Room Tip: Get one with the kitchenette, makes mornings much easier.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank steve s
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I was there for 5 days by myself taking care of my Mom's estate affairs and felt safe, protected, and found all the staff pleasant and friendly. They even covered my convertible with plastic when I mistakenly left the top down during a nasty thunderstorm.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
GMBBR, General Manager at Bilmar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2014

Dear KMB927,

Thank you for generous comments about your recent visit to the Bilmar Beach Resort. Please accept our condolences for your loss. I am proud our Team was able to make the experience easier for you. Although your rented convertible got a little damp we were happy to have deterred a possible wash out during the unexpected rain storm. I sincerely hope you can return soon and enjoy all the Bilmar and Treasure Island have to offer.
Sincerely, Clyde Smith – General Manager

Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

What a HORRIBLE waste of money. Our family in fl suggested staying in St. Petersburg this year (last yr we were @ Clearwater Beach). We were only staying one night coming from Disney to hang out at the beach with our kids before heading home. We settled on Bilmar Beach Resort. It looked nice in the pictures provided on expedia. Driving through to treasure Island I was feeling anxious as the area was just not getting "better" like it did in Clearwater. When we pulled into this hotel I was very disappointed. This was a MOTEL. A motel that cost over $200 /night! The pics are very deceiving. Ex: the lobby pic looks vert classy and modern. Is about 1/8 of the size and not classy at all. I pulled into the terribly tight parking space and proceeded to check in. The woman behind the counter wreaked of cigarette smoke and was very flighty. She asked for my cc 3x because she couldn't remember if she swiped it! I had to fill out forms to get Beach towels and was told I needed to inform them when I returned each towel or I'd be charged. They offered me beach chairs and an umbrella. .. But I had to carry them from the front desk to the beach (all the while juggling my kids and beach towels and bag)!!! And btw it is considered beachfront but they don't tell you it's like 1/4 mile walk! After the awkward check in we walked to our room. First floor in front of the pool. Nice, right? I suppose. .. If we didn't have to step over smoking drunken slobs laying in the walkway (who btw stayed in the room next to us). They had their beer cans lined up along the widow ledge and around the ground (classy). Drunk, loud, swearing, smoking guests littered the pool & common area. Totally not an option to let the kids swim.
When we walked into the room the smell of mildew hit us like a brick wall. It was disgusting and did not go away.
After the beach we went out to dinner w/some family off property. When we returned @ 830pm there was not one single open parking place. After driving around 2x and no valet person in sight I went in to talk to the front desk. The girl behind the counter told me that I had to park across the street at the walgreens. Huh. We had very small children w us. I told her I wasn't comfortable with that. The street is busy and full of aggressive drivers. So the girl left and came back with the valet guy (not a manager. .. The valet guy) who proceeded to tell me that "Bilmar has a shortage of parking spots. Every night someone has to park across the street and tonight was no different. ..id have to park there". That was his answer? I asked if he could valet my car then. He said no bc I was not a restaurant guest. I was a hotel guest. Um.. aren't they on the same property? I spent over $200 to stay at this gross motel. And the only advice they could give was to let my husband drop the kids off and go park the car at walgreens. He also told me that bc of this ongoing issue they will be starting valet service for this. But it won't start until next week. Therefore he could not help. What a joke.
This place sucked. It was disgusting and overpriced. The room smelled horrible and the guests were so trashy. Do NOT waste your money at this place. Never ever ever again!!!!!!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
8  Thank dissatisfied_bilmar

Dear Valued Guest,

I am very sorry to learn of your first impression of the facility and services at our Resort. We strive every day to exceed the expectations of our guests as is evident in the many positive reviews shared by your fellow travelers. Please be assured the experiences you describe are not common to a typical visit to the Bilmar. Treasure Island is known for our large beach and most guests enjoy the use of the beach chairs available for their use. Unlike many east and west coast resorts the deeper beach provides a tranquil experience away from the noise of hotel pools and activity. While it is difficult to monitor all of our guests behavior we do maintain 24 hours staffing to keep celebrations to a minimum. Also we strongly enforce the non-smoking policy in our guest rooms, interior common areas and at both of our resort pool area. As at most beach resorts parking in peak season is always a challenge; for that reason we do offer 3 parking lots for our guests to utilize. Two are “next to Walgreens” and I regret if there was any misunderstanding of the parking lot locations. The Manager On Duty you spoke with was accurate in stating we are doing a test period of offering valet parking for our overnight guests. Prior to this beginning the only valet was for our signature restaurant, Sloppy Joe’s, to prevent restaurant patrons from using any prime guest parking. Again I do sincerely regret we failed to meet your expectations but I am confident we can deliver the service and amenities that have made the Bilmar Beach Resort the landmark resort of Treasure Island for over 50 years should you choose to give us another opportunity.
Yours in hospitality, Clyde Smith – General Manager

Reviewed April 10, 2014

We stayed in one of the penthouse suites. Nothing five star about it, just a decent room with a lot of space and a nice view. Amenities and furnishings were average, not special in any way. Not worth hundreds of dollars for the room. Service was very good, especially housekeeping and maintenance. We had a minor issue with the kitchen, and maintenance took care of it immediately and professionally. Housekeeping was terrific. They are hardworking and deserve kudos.

Treasure island is great for sedate seniors and families with little kids. Others should steer clear.

Room Tip: Rooms close to Bazzie's Beach Bar lack privacy and hear music from the bar; those in the tower a...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SelectiveTraveler99

Dear Selective Traveler,

Thank you for your recent stay at the Bilmar Beach Resort and for sharing your experience with other travelers. I truly appreciate the kind remarks regarding the service and our “terrific” housekeeping team; they really do work hard to exceed our guest’s needs. Currently our Penthouse Suites do not have many of the upgraded features such as crown molding and granite features found in our Studios and Efficiencies but I am happy to report plans are under way to raise the level of quality and detail expected in that type of accommodation. I hope you will return and enjoy the resort and many activities found within walking distance once the renovations are complete; or contact me earlier and I can assist with reserving one of our other suites or guest rooms where full renovations have been completed.

Best regards, Clyde Smith – General Manager