“This was a really great surprise!!”

Bilmar Beach Resort
Ranked #8 of 48 Hotels in Treasure Island
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for one night in December and we were very happy that we chose it! It was like taking a step back in time when we entered the lobby area and we Loved it! We stayed on the 3rd floor in a very nice updated gulf front room in the building away from Sloppy Joes. We had a wonderful view of the water and our room was very clean and had a microwave and refrigerator. We had a great night's sleep in the really comfortable bed and it was really really quiet! The heated pool was really nice - almost seemed like a hot tub but unfortunately it closes at dusk and they are sticklers about that. Parking was tight the night that we were there but I think that there may have been a wedding reception there also. We would happily stay here again if we are in the area. Thank you!

1  Thank NcSunlovers
Write a ReviewReviews (2,181)

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Have to climb over orange plastic fence to get to the beach. Staff was rude and not at all helpful. Place is rundown and needs to be torn down. I don't think you can even renovate to get rid of the mouldy smell

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank carpenter112
GMBBR, General Manager at Bilmar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Dear Carpenter,

I sincerely regret the impression you left with of the Bilmar Beach Resort. Your fellow travelers share a vastly different impression from their experience at our resort and our many repeat guests compliment the continuous upgrades we make each year. I welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in greater length (I did send you a direct response requesting a phone call). The Bilmar has won numerous awards for facility and service and we are listed as VIP accommodations by several national and international organizations. The temporary orange fence you encountered is located on the beach owned by The City of Treasure Island. It is a result of the 1.5 million dollar replacement of the mile long beach trail behind the hotels on the beach. The central beach access area is conveniently located at the center of our property and is marked for easy identification. Upon completion this winter it will feature a meandering trail with lighted wall and numerous themed access points to enter the beach. I encourage your fellow travelers to consider the overwhelming positive reviews of the Bilmar Beach Resort and to contact me directly if there is any question about the facility or service available to them at our AAA 3-diamond resort.
Sincerely, Clyde Smith – General Manager (727) 360-5531 ext. 776

Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed at this hotel recently and unfortunately we were disappointed. We were given a room on the third floor directly above the restaurant/bar Sloppy Joes. This meant we had to endure noise late into the night from patrons, garbage trucks at 8am every morning and beer deliveries etc. throughout the day. The stairs leading to our floor smelled of grease from cooking!! The bathroom was really small and we were given a disposable dish cloth that wasn't new. The Internet service was horrible (they said they'll be making improvements). The view from our room included having to look past the top of the restaurant and hotel air conditioners before we could see the beach. Once they improve the Internet, you may be okay staying here, but make a special request not to be on the third floor above the restaurant. I think we had the worst gulf side room in the hotel. Just unlucky, I guess.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
GMBBR, General Manager at Bilmar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Dear Thomas L,

Thank you for staying at the Bilmar during your recent visit to Treasure Island. I sincerely regret your room did not meet your expectations. While over 90% of our rooms have an outstanding beach view we do have a few rooms located near our signature restaurant Sloppy Joe’s on the Beach. During sold out nights we do utilize these rooms to accommodate our guests in the room type reserved. We also have a variety of rooms and suites that feature larger bathrooms, kitchenettes and locations in buildings away from restaurant. Please call our reservations department or visit our web site to learn more about these options. I have addressed your concerns regarding the stairs and the dish cloth with the appropriate team members. These issues should not exist and I apologize to you that we fell short of our standards of outstanding cleanliness and amenities. I am happy to report that we are proceeding immediately with a new internet system. It will include a fiber optic feed from a national cable/internet company and we are assured a consistent strong signal and 24 hour customer support. I have sent you a direct response offering assistance with your next visit to the Tampa Bay Beaches and I look forward to the opportunity to providing you the experience you expect. Sincerely, Clyde Smith – General Manager

Reviewed December 20, 2012

This was our 2nd visit to the island but the first time in the fall. We stayed 7 nights the first week in December. The prior week was the sand scupture contest. As it happened all the scuptures were still intact. What an interesting experience to see the sand art. We had beautiful weather all week. Spent everyday on the beach under a cabana. The cabanas on the beach are rented thru a private vendor. We also spent time at the heated pool at the pool, the other pool was undergoing construction, which will be completed in time for the warmer weather. The hotel has 2 fine restaruants. Sloppy Joes is our favorite and we ate their twice. The hotel is located in a convenient area for shopping and transportation. We took the bus to Clearwater (40 minute ride), bus stop right outside. We also took the bus up to Johns Pass (5 minute bus ride) Lots of shops and restaruants at Johns Pass. Also a good place to book a tour for Dolphin Watching or fishing excursions. They also had a Casino Cruise leave out of Johns Pass. Seemed to be a popular place.
The hotel staff is wonderful, our hotel was spotless. The bed is very very comfortable which is important. We did not have a room with a balcony but the widow we were able to open our screened window and look out over the beautiful beach.
You won't be disappointed staying at the Bilmar.

Room Tip: Suggest you ask for a room not across from Jimmy's as it can be noisy when they are playing musi...
2  Thank nangefv
Reviewed December 16, 2012

My wife and I stayed here just before and just after the Thanksgiving Holiday and it was a wonderful place to stay. Our rooms were modern, clean, and quiet. The staff was always pleasant and helpful. The location right on the beach in Treasure Island makes the Bilmar a great place for relaxation and fun. The Bilmar is our hotel of choice when visiting our son at nearby Eckerd College. We have stayed here several times now and each experience has been a joy.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank hockeydadpdx
Reviewed December 9, 2012

"Would you like help with your bags?" the front desk asked. Seeing it was on the 6th floor, and I didn't know the lay of the land, I said sure. Two bell boys eagerly followed me to the car, showed us where to park, and loaded all the suitcases and golf bags on the luggage cart. They were so happy to help, I gave them a $10 tip to split. They got my ice, extra keys because I left mine at the front desk.

When I needed breakfast the next day fast...the waiter said you'll have it in 5 minutes and voila, there it was. I change my mind about eating to go vs. restaurant, and always it was his pleasure to accomodate my whim. Housekeepers smiled, I got late checkout. This is what you get from an independent hotel...extra service and extra effort to feel welcome.

Our 6th floor room looked out over 400 yards of fine white sand, dotted with fantastic sand sculptures. Nothing compared to the sunsets we witnessed over the gulf. The beds were some of the best I'd ever slept in, and we didn't have to suffer those all too thick pillows which look fantastic in magazines but give me a stiff neck the next day.

Great value!

6  Thank GeorgeDick
Reviewed December 7, 2012

My husband and I spent three nights at the Bilmar Beach Resort just last month while house-hunting in the area. Upon driving into the hotel's parking lot I wondered if we had made a mistake choosing this resort. However, upon entering our oceanfront room, WOW! Updated, very nicely decorated, great bed, great air conditioning and immaculate. If we weren't purchasing a home in the area, we'd definitely return. We will recommend this hotel to overflow friends and family visiting us! The staff we had interaction with were great! Thanks for a great stay!

Room Tip: Can't go wrong with oceanfront rooms!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank GinnyAlamo
GMBBR, General Manager at Bilmar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Dear GinnyAlamo,

Thank you for sharing your pleasant experience at the Bilmar with your fellow travelers. Throughout the Resort’s 50 years we have strived to exceed our guest’s expectations and I am so pleased our commitment to continual property upgrades, modern amenities and décor and of course staff hospitality made your visit even better than expected. We also are extremely committed to the community and are confident you will love your new home in the Tampa Bay area – Welcome! We look forward to hosting your family and friends when they come to visit.
Sincerely, Clyde Smith – General Manager