“Brits at the Bilmar.”

Bilmar Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 48 Hotels in Treasure Island
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We arrived at Treasure Island in September but were let down by the management of the nearby cottages we had booked. Having stayed at Bilmar 3 times previously, we decided to check in there. The lady at the front desk, seeing my wife had an aircast ( for her recently broken ankle) found us a ground floor room with direct access to the beach. Perfect. This was the standard for the next 3 nights. The room was spotless, modern with the best bed in the world. Just what we needed on the last stop of a hectic Flydrive holiday and after a 420m long run from Key West. I asked if we could rent a wheelchair, which was in my hands within a minute. Nothing was too much trouble for all the staff we encountered. We took full advantage of the facilities at Sloppy Joe's bar, (boy, did we !) the food was varied and well presented, and is a great place to chill out and swap stories with other travellers. Star of the show was Brandon, that guy is well on top of his game behind the Bar. Fast, attentive, entertaining and great with Margaritas ! Add to that the live music and sunsets out on the decking, and that beach, we just didn't want to leave. It is on the list again for our next holiday. What didn't we like about it ? We've been home for a month now and can't think of one reason. Thank you Bilmar, from Ray and Sue from Old York, (not New York), U.K.

Room Tip: Look on Google maps. This will show where the bars and pool are so book rooms to the sides if you pr...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ray127_12
There are newer reviews for Bilmar Beach Resort

Reviewed October 20, 2012

This was a last minute booking for just 1 night (Tuesday) which was long enough .

There was a large "Unschooling" conference going on with loads of noisy kids running round with no obvious adult supervision. Only saw one small pool which was completely full of children as was the very small hot tub attached.

We had a room adjacent to the pool which had a queen bed which you could just about walk around. The bathroom, although nicely done out in marble, was miniscule and you could only just get in it with room to shut the door.

On entering the room my husband went to put on the light and the bulb appeared to blow. He rang reception who said they would send one to fix it. We went for a swim at the beach and a walk to shops and it still was not done by the time we got back. We then physcially went to complain at reception and the girl could not have been more unhelpful! We were made to feel that we were interrupting her but after some huffing and puffing she eventually radioed Maintenance to remind them. A man arrived about 1/2 hr later and was able to advise that the electric had merely "tripped out" and reset if from the hallway.

The air conditioning kept cutting in and out all night long which was not condusive to getting a good night's sleep.

Although supposedly "beachfront" the hotel is situated behind a public thoroughfare where walkers, bikers and joggers constantly go passed, and then there is a long walk to the sea. Being disabled meant a long uncomfortable walk before you even got to the water's edge. If I had known this I would not have booked this hotel.

All in all not what I expected or had paid for - would not recommend it to anyone disabled or for anyone who wanted a quiet getaway by the ocean.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Susan T
GMBBR, General Manager at Bilmar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Dear Mr. & Mrs. Tribble,

I apologize your recent visit to the resort did not meet your expectations and that several factors impacted your short stay. The first time conference for families participating in home schooling efforts did have some very “spirited” children that gathered at our north pool. I was pleased that the group leaders addressed the supervision issue when it was brought to their attention. The south pool near the resort’s tower was much quieter with some families and other couples enjoying a quieter atmosphere. I apologize if we failed to point this out on the resort map given out at check in. The room you reserved through Orbitz was one of only 6 value priced Run Of the House pool side bedrooms in our inventory of 164 units. This suite connector is not representative of our Standard and Deluxe Efficiency Rooms and Suites. We have contacted Orbitz and requested they include a detailed description of the discounted Run Of House room type including the size to avoid disappointment in the future. The maintenance issue you reported have been inspected and corrected as needed; I regret if these detracted from your evening. The public area you described behind the resort is the Treasure Island beach trail. This 1.25 mile trail is undergoing a dramatic renovation this fall that will enhance the experience of all of our travelers by replacing the existing trail with a meandering lighted path and new dividing walls to serve as gathering areas for visitors and residents alike. It will emulate similar trails that are the center piece of other resort destinations like Fort Lauderdale, Miami Beach and others that promote the vibrant active lifestyle today’s travelers often expect. It will also be fully ADA compliant with a new connector to the resort’s breezeway allowing all of our guest’s access to the activities available. The city of Treasure Island is also obtaining an additional ADA compliant beach wheelchair that will be stored on our property so visitors to the area have access to our world famous beach. Overall I believe the circumstance of your room and the family conference made for a non-typical Bilmar experience. I am confident our Reservations and Guest Services team could assist you with setting up a relaxing and enjoyable visit in the future. Please call us if you can give us that opportunity. Sincerely, Clyde Smith – General Manager

Reviewed October 18, 2012

I stayed at The Bilmar Beach Resort for ten days in October. I was traveling alone and was very impressed by the Gentleman that checked me in. He upgraded me to a bigger room which overlooked the Gulf Of Mexico. I felt safe and secure each night that I returned to my room after a busy day with my daughter and new baby. The room was always so clean upon my return.
The pool and area around it was always kept clean. I will definitely return to this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank MNgal64
Reviewed October 15, 2012

A family member who lives in the St. Petersburg area recommended the Bilmar. We stayed in a oceanview room which was nice, clean and comfortable. NO sign of bedbugs. We did not have a balcony and when we stay here again, we would opt for that type of room. The hotel was very clean and the staff super friendly. Parking is free for guests. The beach is wide and beautiful and the gulf water was warm. What more could you ask for? There are stores and restaurants closeby which we walked to. The area is nice and appeared to be safe too. Breakfast is not included so we ate at the restaurant/bar every morning. The food was great and service was excellent. We will be back here again.

Room Tip: Spend the extra few bucks to get a room with a balcony. We will the next time so we can sit outside...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank FreePJ
GMBBR, General Manager at Bilmar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Dear FreePJ,

Thank you for sharing your great experience at the Bilmar Beach Resort with your fellow travelers. The entire Bilmar Team strives to exceed our guest’s expectations and create lasting memories and I am pleased you have reported our success. Many of our guests enjoy the affordable upgrades to the Deluxe Studio or the even larger Gulf Front Efficiency for the added amenities of the private balcony and kitchen facilities. We look forward to your return to Treasure Island and the Bilmar! Sincerely, Clyde Smith – General Manager

Reviewed October 15, 2012

We have just stayed at Bilmar for 5 nights and had a lovely stay. There are 2 pools, 2restaurants brazzies and sloppy joes. We had breakfast at Bazzies which was very nice and there is live music here at sunset so you can relax watching the sunset over the sea. We had a sea view room with balcony which was great. Very clean, good sized rooms comfy beds. We had a balcony overlooking the beach which was lovely to be able to sit outside in the evening. These rooms also had a mini kitchen which was also very handy. Staff were really helpful especially Heather on reception who always made us feel welcome and nothing was ever too much. She also gave us the time to give us good directions to busch gardens. Heather is very good at her job and genuine in her interactions. If I was to return to TI I would definitely stay here again. It is not your 5* hotel but the best location an the best TI has for comfort, cleanliness and location

2  Thank lollipop9
Reviewed October 13, 2012

For this vacation, we were going to do the "Disney" thing again. Instead, we agreed to break it up and spend 4 nights on the Gulf. White sands, beautiful sunsets. Quiet and relaxing. Scenic views. What more could you ask for?

Prior to our trip, we read all the reviews and thought the Bilmar would be a great place to stay.

Get to hotel. Our check-in goes smoothly. Now, needed to move vehicle to park near our room. Oops, need to back up and go the wrong way in driveway. No double lane to pull around and 3-4 vehicles blocked the one lane. Better get a parking spot so we don't have to use the lot across the street.

Go to room in South Hi-rise. 3rd floor. Elevator is slow. Get to room at end of corridor. Open door and all of our good feelings are gone. Scenic view? Not when your room overlooks the roof of the restaurant and their rooftop A/C units. We asked for another room, but "everything is booked".

Bathroom is EXTREMELY small. Room A/C unit is LOUD. Bathroom fan is LOUD and has a nasty buildup of dirt and dust on it. Room smells musty and is old and tired.

After going to Gulf, we used the south pool. Pool was very nice, but it had so much chlorine in it, I truly thought it was filled with salt water.

Went to dinner at Sloppy Joes. EXCELLENT for both service and food.

Now we head back to room with our kids (8 & 12). The "quaint" music from the bar across the street is now louder and intrusive. Combine that with a loud ice machine right outside our door and we were doomed (Remember our A/C unit? We do since we heard it all night).

Finally fall asleep only to be noisely woken up before 8am by the dumpsters being emptied outside in front of our door.

IF, the doors and front walls were better sound barriers, we could have tolerated it. But, with 3 more nights to come, we checked out and went back to Orlando.

PLEASE NOTE:
IF, you are a young couple or single, and want the nightlife, then the Bilmar is for you.

IF, you are a family, then I suggest staying somewhere else.

4  Thank triptcb17
GMBBR, General Manager at Bilmar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Please accept my apologies for your disappointment during your recent stay at our resort. I am sorry your room location detracted from your enjoyment of your beach getaway. While most of our rooms offer a fantastic gulf front view we do, like most hotels and resorts have some locations that are less desirable due to the restaurant on the 1st floor. We try to use these as infrequently as possible but during sold out days try to accommodate everyone in the room type they reserved. I don’t know if the front desk was made aware of the noise from the fan or AC but I am having both checked and corrected as necessary. We have also checked our pool records which are maintained twice daily and do not see any day the chlorine was out of an acceptable range. As your research indicated we are known for being a family friendly resort with many families returning annually for their Bilmar vacation. 183 of our 598 traveler reviews are from families and we are proud 81% of those rated us Very Good or Excellent. I regret we could not address your concerns during your visit and would welcome a chance to regain your confidence if your travels bring you back to the Tampa Bay area in the future. Sincerely, Clyde Smith – General Manager

Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

This was the perfect place for a getaway stay. Great room price and service and best location on beach on TI. I live only 20 minutes away do I knew the best place to stay and I was completely satisfied.

1  Thank Kailuajj