“The worst day!”
Review of Dolphin Marine Rentals - CLOSED

Dolphin Marine Rentals
Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

Steer very clear of these guys they are a failing business and will try to take you for way more than your rental fee! My husband son and I rented a small boat from them for the afternoon. Yes they took us out into the channel then we had to take them back. That took an hour out of our trip while he was with is he didn't really show us how to work the boat. When we dropped him off as we were leaving that's when he had us lift the prop to see if it was good. He kept saying it was brand new. That should have been a warning there. We couldn't really see the prop from in the boat. He said we were good so we left. As we were out my husband noted the steering was really poor. Then the boat over heated and gave warning sounds we immediately slowed we weren't going fast to begin with. The boat was in poor condition the seats were held together with duct tape the interior side had a panel
Missing. We had the boat for 4 hours but after an hour out we decided to head back as it was not fun nor relaxing. We stayed in the channel never ran aground didn't hit anything. When we got back they immediately had us raise the prop as we were trying to tell them the steering was faulty and the warning sounds went off. They weren't listening and instead went straight to the prop said there was damage and we ruined a new prop so they said. They then got into a screaming match with my husband right in front of our ten year old swearing saying they would call the cops that we were swindling them. But we wanted to make sure we got our deposit back. They were yelling threatening us one even said its people like you that make me want to kill myself. He kept saying that over and over demanding we just leave. Again we were not leaving until we got our deposit back we finally got it but the yelling continued. Their business is going under the guy said as much during his trip to the channel and it became very clear they were not interested in talking to us but rather they make more money off the deposits than the rentals. So seek your boat and all water craft elsewhere these guys are scam artists.

6  Thank Nicole D
Mark M, Owner at Dolphin Marine Rentals, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

I would like to respond to the review point by point.
Yes, they took us out into the channel then we had to take them back. That took an hour out of our trip while he was with is he didn't really show us how to work the boat. When we dropped him off as we were leaving that's when he had us lift the prop to see if it was good. He kept saying it was brand new.

Your party arrived slightly after 2pm, and we did a typical orientation. You told me, you had not boated around here, so I did take a little extra time showing you the boat channel. I went over the maps with you, for a good bit. When I had you look at the propeller, when you looked at it, you didn't say anything about it not being new. Why not just say it then, if that was true? The propeller was most certainly new.

Frankly, you guys didn't even hit the bottom that bad. This is the type of situation where if when you came in, you were like "oops, it is different, sorry." Im gonna guess we might have charged you anything for that, which would be rare, but if you had been honest, and really, like I said, you didn't catch the bottom that bad.

The things I shared with you, as far, why we need you to be careful, along with your safety, is we have seen a lot of boats, this year, coming back messed up. We are trying to do everything we can to articulate how to have a good time, see dolphins, while not damaging the equipment.

The boat ran more than fine, when we drove around in it, and again, if you didn't like the boat, why not saying anything before leaving? Everything was very pleasant, honest and open, during that orientation.

After all that work and effort, I come outside and I'm being called an expletive scammer, when I just everything humanely possible to show you what to do, that game is getting old.

We never debated giving your deposit back. I went inside, immediately and voided that charge out and even gave you free gas because I was so insulted to be called a scammer.

All you had to do was be honest, just like I had been with you, and i bet you, for that slight bit of paint, the honesty would have been appreciated and we wouldn't have charged you anything. We get mechanic bills that are often and not cheap, it is because the engines are being run aground and run around hard. You guys barely touched some sand, and mistakes happen, but i don't understand how, after showing your everything I could, for about 35 minutes, you could suggesting I'm an expletive scammer and I had not said a word, since you returned.

In fact, from the time you landed, till you had your voided receipt on the deposit, was a world record, it had to be within 3 minutes, and there was no debate involved. I was insulted to the point I didn't even bother to collect for the gas. I gave you about 60 dollars worth of free gas, and you got your deposit back in 3 minutes, of landing, but Im the scammer, and Im taking everyones deposits, as you suggest but on the other hand, as you suggest I'm going under.

My point is, once again, 95 something % walk away happy and barely post anything. It is the people who are not nice or honest, who bother to post this stuff. There posts are riddled with inconsistencies, because they are not telling the truth. My story is consistent, because the truth is easy to remember.

The is no duct tape on the seats.
There is no side panel missing.
No one ever said you ruined the prop. My partner said it wasn't new anymore, and that was it. Instead of being honest, you guys exploded and starting cursing in front of your child, before I even was at the dock, but i could hear it from my office door way.

If all these alarms were going off, you never thought to call us and ask us what was going on? That seems really odd, I know I would be calling, since I told you about 10 times to call me if you needed anything.

But yes, I did lose my cool, because after 5 years of owning this place, to see how some people behave and lie, just has taken a large toll on me. Ive been in business, for myself, for over 20 years, but this year, I have had too many customers be like this.

The last thing I am is a scammer, you scammed me out of the gas money, with insults and lies. Most people are honest, and they have a great time, more often than not.

I frankly don't know what more I could have done with you guys, in the beginning, to show how everything worked and how to navigate the channel. Then to be insulted like this, and now review riddled with false statements.

In my 21 of business I have noticed the people who cry foul, early, fast and hard, for no reason, are usually the scammers. The scammers know what they would do, and just think thats how everyone thinks, but there are some honest people out there, to. I am an honest person who gets very upset when someone impugns my ethics, and this business seems to really bring the worst out in people, for whatever reason (not most of my customers, but people like this). I don't understand why it is so difficult to comprehend if you break something you need to pay for it, not to mention I can't rent the boat, when people break them. You guys touched some sand, and there was no way that should have been a big deal. Just simply agree it's different, say I'm sorry, that would have been about that. Any worse than that, then yes, you really are doing damage to the engine. But we are as fair as we can be with people, until some customers just get unreasonable. You were totally unreasonable upon landing, but still in less than 5 minutes you had your deposit back and got comped the gas, but Im the scammer? Looking at the facts, I don't see many consistencies in your story, other than I did lose my cool, on you guys and I have to just accept the fact when people like you take advantage of me, I can't let my emotions get to me. I have to accept there are just bad people out there, and I can't always catch them during the orientation, and at times I am going to regret having a certain customer. I have to learn to be nicer to unreasonable people.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

Awful service! Very irresponsible, unprofessional owner and personnel! Very disappointed! We planned to give this boat rental as a "Gift" for my brother's birthday we drove 2 hours away, whenever we got to the place, they stated they didn't have the paperwork, keep making excuses didn't know about the reservation, after that we told them that the money have already come out off the account they stated the boat broke down sometime this week and were not able to do anything about it, not only that the owner refunded the money and didn't care about it, we told him that the money will not be in the account for the next 3 business days and we didn't have that kind of money at the moment to go to another place and rent, we had to drive back for another 2 hours because of this irresponsible unprofessional people! Won't recommend!! Do not make any bussiness
with Dolphin Marine boat Rentals at treasure island!! A

3  Thank EmmyHappacher
Mark M, Owner at Dolphin Marine Rentals, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

we made an error in scheduling and the boat was damaged and put out of commission on top of that. we apologized to the customer and refunded their money (of course) and we called around and found them a boat at our competitors. Obviously this wasn't enough, and we wish it hadn't happened. we cannot make a living refunding money instead of renting boats. I'm not sure what else we could have done, except the obvious, not make the mistake in the first place.

The boat was damaged which was why it could not be rented. Because we had made an error in the scheduling is why the customer didn't get a call ahead of time.

Reviewed June 12, 2014

We originally booked a boat rental at Johns pass as they told us they were the only one in town until we did some searching and found Dolphin Marine. When we called the owner Mark he was cheaper than Johns pass and the deck boat was in excellent condition and very clean. It was also fairly new unlike some of the other rentals places we had seen. Mark was very helpful and showed us the ropes. We rented the boat for 4 hours and saw dolphin, stingrays and did some fishing at shell key. We went with our two small kids and they absolutely loved it. We will certainly be returning to rent again from Mark. Even returning the boat was quick and painless and there was someone to guide us in and help us dock.

1  Thank Tina M
Reviewed June 6, 2014

We rented two SeaDoos for two adults, one 16 year old and a 10 year old. Everything was in great condition. The staff was friendly and helpful. And Mark answered all our questions. We will definately be returning.

2  Thank Tiffeny K
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We rented a boat for half day. The owner Mark was informative and helpful. We had a terrific time,and even saw dolphins. Itwas a beautiful morning and although there were lots of boats out on the intercostal everyone was courteous.

2  Thank amin505