“What a dump !!”

Ranked #44 of 48 Hotels in Treasure Island
Keene, Canada
“What a dump !!”
Reviewed August 9, 2007

My entire family had stayed at the Jefferson many, many times over the past twenty years. While it was owned by the Schieffer family, we truly loved going and always left deposits for our next stay. The first managers that looked after the place were wonderful. They were personable, meticulously clean and very helpful to everyone. This new "manager", Neil .. what a joke. He's barely out of his teenage years, he's hardly ever there, the place is filthy from top to bottom and his attitude is astounding. He actually said "if you don't like it, stay somewhere else". When he realized I would not pay him in order to merely "stay somewhere else" he hopped to it and had the room cleaned as per my list .. and it was a long list. Everything in the room was disgusting. Linens I would barely use to clean my car, appliances I wouldn't want to cook on as they were covered in grease and grime and hair, dust an inch thick on ceiling fans, etc, etc. I am very disappointed to say that I will never return there again. And to have the nerve to increase rates!!!! What a JERK!!!!!

• Liked — Leaving to return home!
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sunshinesue666

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
tampa
Reviewed August 5, 2007

Management was very courteous and accomodating when we prepaid our stay for 4 nights, 6 weeks later upon check in we were advised that the first floor unit we were promised was not available. The floors were so dirty that our kids had to wear slippers inside, we saw numerous cockroaches. Towels were dingy and threadbare, something I would use to wash a car. There was no daily cleaning whatsoever. The manager of the property actually yelled at our children and spoke in a very deragatory tone to us. It is a shame because the location is prime and it could have been a great place to stay. I would never stay here again!

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The accomodations and Management
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank pmclori

Travelers are raving about these Treasure Island hotels

rockaway
Reviewed June 20, 2007

I was attending a wedding last weekend June 2007 and the bride reserved the rooms for her guests. I had to pay in advance by check. Now I understnad why.There was no possiblitiy of a refund. The place was terrible. The manager Neil was rude and nasty not only to me but also to others that were the wedding guests. My room had several leaks, The airconditioner, the refrig and the bathroom. The screen door was ripped and ducted taped. ( he told me it just happened that day which i am sure was a lie because of the duct tape).The towels were thin and gray and I was told to make sure that I was careful when I removed my makeup as not to ruin them!. I only was given one towel and I had to ask for more. I also was told that there would be not maid or towel service on the weekend so just hang my towels to dry and reuse.I also only had the 1 roll of toilet paper that was 1/2 of a roll. I asked for another but he never brought it. I ended up having to use napkins.
My room key broke in the door and when I called the main number Neil yelled at me as if I was a child( I am 51 years old) and told me I should have been more careful. He did come right away to look at it. Easily broke into my room through a window ( that did not help me feel secure)and did not even atempt to fix or pull out the key.( he was going out for the evening at 10:30 and was too busy). He told me that I did not need to worry since I was going to be in for the night and use the dead bolt. ! I was not in for the night and I needed to bring all my valubles to the car and lock them in the trunk. I am a single woman and did not feel safe at all .
when I asked him to check the buckets that were collecting the dirty dripping water he asked me to dump them. I refused since I had paid 244.00 for a 2 nights stay I was not going to do that.
When I complained the next day and asked for some compensation I was told that I paid for location and not service. My poor room was the luck of the draw and that unfortunately I got the worst room in the place.That as a business woman I needed to understand that these motels have different standards then the ones I usually would stay in and they did not have to abide by standards that econo lodge or days inn have. They have different rules. I said service and cleanliness are expected in any hotel business. Neil would not offer me any contact information so that I may complain and told me that I would be wasting my time to complain because I would never get anywhere. That he has plenty of customers and he doesn't need to worry.l would like to change the" I do not need to worry part" I have filed a complaint with the chamber of commerce and better business bureau.

• Liked — the beach
  • Disliked — the condition of the room
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
10 Thank rockaway54
Canada
Reviewed April 15, 2007

The Jefferson Motel and Apartments was once recommended by Florida Superior Small Lodging and had a valid AAA rating. That should no longer be the case. Since it was sold to developers the daily rate has increased by at least 30% and maintenance has decreased by at least 50%. There is dirt and grime all over the place. Previously that was not the case. Fans, vents, radio, television, bathroom tub, shower curtain. furniture, carpets, bathroom floor, stove, pots and pans were all in need of a good scrubbing. The sheets were cleaned on an as needed basis but both sheets and towels had a rather gray and well used appearance to them. The bed comforters were something one did not really want to touch and I doubt that they were cleaned on a regular basis. The fridge leaked and the sliding glass doors were held locked by two wooden bars since the lock did not work properly. The pool deck was filthy and the pool heater was seldom working. Management now allows pets in the facility and one pet owner was noticed taking his dog to urinate under the stairs that lead to the second level. Towels and clothing were hung over railings on a regular basis to dry. Almost all of the people who have stayed for a long term at the Jefferson in the past have said that they will not return. The Jefferson Motel and Apartment website still states that it is recommended by Florida Superior Small Lodging. The website should definitely be revised and Florida Superior Small Lodging should be contacted. I am certain they would be embarrassed to have their recommendation still listed on the website. It would appear that present ownership and management intend to spend as little as possible to maintain the facility until it is demolished for the planned condo that will be built on site. It is a shame that a once excellent establishment that is located on the beach has been allowed to deteriorate to such a degree.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
13 Thank rgwsco
Rochester, New York
Reviewed April 4, 2007

The heated pool was freezing. The wife of the manager spent her entire time outside your doors and was always looking at what you were doing. Very old, not very clean and smelled musty. Not worth the money - rooms were depressing. Old blanket thrown over the couch etc. Parking was annoying! Plus they had all kinds of rules for the dump!

Stayed January 2006
2 Thank Cillarella
Montreal
Reviewed February 23, 2007

We stayed at the Jefferson Motel Apts. in February 2007. The first thing I noticed was there were nail clippings on the floor near the coach. The shower curtain had large mold spots on it and we found cheese in the fridge leftover from another quest. The "heated" pool was not that warm as they turn off the heater at night. The ashtrays that were around the pool area were not emptied for the whole 4 days we were there. We have been to Florida 4 years in a row and stayed in other motels, although also older buildings at least they were kept clean and the guests comfort was the owners main priority. At the Jefferson we found that the manager did the least work possible, and spending the least amount of money seemed to be their priority.

• Liked — Convienient location
  • Disliked — DIRT
  • Stayed January 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MontrealKimo
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed January 7, 2007

If you love the small Mom & Pop Florida motels of old, you'll love The Jefferson. The on-site live-in manager, Neil, is a godsend. He makes sure you feel "at home" from the time you check in, until check out. I needed a couple of items washed, "no problem" said Neil. And, no charge. He makes you feel welcome as though you're in his home. And, in a way, you are. I'm already looking forward to next January 2008. I'll be back.

• Liked — Location and staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — If you stay i n the pool side bldg, you'll likely get free Wi-Fi Internet access. Ask neil.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled solo