“Sunset Vistas - decent place to stay”

Sunset Vistas Beachfront Suites
Ranked #6 of 48 Hotels in Treasure Island
Philadelphia, PA
“Sunset Vistas - decent place to stay”
Reviewed January 21, 2009

My wife and I and our 2yr old daughter & 1yr old son stayed here for the week of Jan 10th-17th, unit #307N. We have traveled to the Tampa/St Pete area for vacations several times over the past couple of years, and this is our first stay at the Sunset Vistas hotels/condos. These units can be rented (similar to a hotel) through the main office, and provide hotel-like services (daily maid service, etc). Some of the unit owners (they are condos, after all) prefer to rent their units on their own (through sites like" vacation rentals by owner" [vrbo.com]). We rented unit #307N through vrbo.com; the owner was providing a $675.00 special for the week, which came to about $850.00 total after taxes and cleaning fees. I've researched rates in this area quite a bit, and for what we got this was a really great deal. When renting through owners and not the hotel, you have to expect that you DO NOT get daily maid service. You make your own beds, and do your own laundry (if necessary), the unit we stayed in had its own washer/dryer, which was nice. the furnishings were very nice and the entire complex appeared to be relatively new. There is a beautiful and large heated pool for adults in the right rear of the complex on the beach; on the left rear, there is a separate kiddy pool (not heated) with fountains and only about 18 inches deep that the kids will love. During January however, it can be cool and the kiddy pool is not heated. Also, it is nice that the adult and kiddy pools are separated. In the kiddy pool area, there is a in-ground jacuzzi hot tub just a few feet from the kiddy pool, so mom & dad can enjoy a good hot soak while the kids splash around in the fountains. The cafe on site is decent and not rediculously overpriced, they serve breakfast as well. There is a fitness room with several pieces of equipment, and though it is not a gym by any measure, you can make do and get a decent workout on the treadmills, ellipticals, or unversal weight machine. Also, in the same area as the fitness room is their internet access, a small room with two computers and printers. Having access to a printer was great for me, as I like to print out my boarding passes the day before I fly, saves time and aggravation at the airport. The wifi that is available within the complex may not be strong enough to reach your laptop in your room. You may have to go out into the courtyard with your computer, this is a little bit of an annoyance if you spend a lot of time on the computer. I found a free wifi site that was accessible from within my 3rd floor room, but it was not the hotels wifi, and the signal was a bit weak but usable. There were no child/infant items (cribs, high chair, etc) available for use at this particular condo we rented, so it was a bit of a hassle for us to get that stuff... but at the price we paid, we felt that this was still worth it. Some items were available, like beach chairs and such, but it was too cool during this week to go in the ocean, so we only ventured on the beach a few times to let the kids play in the sand. Overall, I think the Sunset Vistas is a very nice place, it fills up on the weekends (from the locals inland who come to rent for a couple days) so it can get a bit younger & louder on the weekends.

• Liked — price
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank feelcurious

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed January 8, 2009

Really nice place. I had originally booked through the hotel site, but found many owner renting through VRBO, and wound up saving a lot of money. Also knew which unit and what amenities (beach chairs, toys, etc) we had prior to getting to the hotel.

The place was great - entire property was clean and nice. Pool was warm. We stayed on the south side, which left us in the shade early afternoon, and could not see the sunsets from the balcony. My fault - but check that out, may change seasonally.

The hotel bar area was a little weird. Not like we expected. It was basically under a low ceiling in a garage. Sort of beach front, but couldn't actually see the ocean. Very small. Nice friendly people though.

We found it too far to walk to Johns Pass - quick easy car ride. After seeing what I saw, I would say beach side in TI - this is the place to be. Further south, the beach gets too wide and would be a hassle to get to the water.

Overall a very nice place. TONS of kids. We didn't have a problem with that as we had our own - but not the place for a quiet or romantic get away.

Shake Shack was great.

1 Thank serialportme
Fredericksburg, VA
Reviewed January 7, 2009

We really enjoyed this property. The pool, hot tubs are large and well maintained. The tiki bar is fun - sample Mudslides were a treat! The beach is beautiful. Great location to St. John's Pass - an easy walk over the drawbridge. The units are nice. We had a two bedroom Gulf-view unit. The bedrooms aren't huge, but we weren't in there much. The washer/dryer is nice for drying beach towels. The bathrooms are modern with nice toiletries. The kitchen is well-equipped. Staff is available and very helpful. No daily housekeeping, but we were only there three nights, so it wasn't an issue. It is close to Publix for groceries and there is a cute "Shake Shack" out in front of the property.

I would return in a heartbeat to Sunset Vistas - it is a nice mix of beachy & nice enough without being stuffy. We actually moved to the Sunset Vistas from the Residence Inn next door and are very glad we did. Sunset Vistas is a very nice property with good amenities and is well priced.

We were able to get to Fort DeSoto and Clearwater easily. Parasailing is fantastic on the Gulf. We had a great time on the Pirate Cruise from St. John's Pass. Oh - TIME OUT - the restaurant at John's Pass has great food - the best kid's menu I've ever seen and $1.99 draft beers.

ENJOY!

• Liked — Pool
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
Edmonton
Reviewed January 6, 2009

We stayed here through Christmas holidays with 6 adults. The staff were pleasant and helpful, all requests were filled promptly. I had read that noise from chairs moved in above suites were a problem and yes we experienced that. If they put felt on the bottom of the very heavy kitchen chairs,it would solve the problem easily. The parking was free and yes you do have to clean the place yourself as if it is your own condo ,but they bring you towels and supplies every second day. I found out that for 50 dollars they will do your housekeeping. It would be nice if they had salt pepper and sugar on site but the Publix is not far and there is a store across the street. They supply dishwasher soap, bar soap ,shampoo and kitchen linens. The pull out sofa mattress was brand new. The bedroom carpets were brand new and the place was clean. The beach and view are fabulous and even though the place was full at Christmas, it did not seem noisy or crowded. It has a relaxed homey feeling and Johns pass is really close for boat and tour rentals. Try to request a top floor close to the front, but all suites have a view.

• Liked — on the beach for a good price
  • Disliked — noisy chairs on tile floors no night tables on both sides of beds
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 3, 2009

We have literally just returned from 2 glorious weeks at this Resort. My sister lives in St. Petes, so I have known about Treasure Island since I was little, and have always loved it.It's been one of those years, and we really needed a vacation,(I am now a Cancer Survivor)..I really wanted to stay on the beach so I picked sunset vistas from the Internet. I could not have picked a better condo for myself, my husband and my kid's 21 and 17. The size of the Condo was perfect for the four of us, I especially liked the patio acess from the bedroom.This place had something for everyone, but I think the best thing was the proximity to the beach, shops and the most friendly staff. (The Staff at the Cafe is awesome)We were back and forth from day to day visiting family and such, but everyday when we returned, it felt like home. We were there over Christmas and it was unusually hot for that time of year, which made the setting just perfect..especially, since the day after we left Toronto(Canada) they received a foot of snow!!! I would highly recommend this Hotel/Condo to everyone, it truly has something for everyone...I''m sure we will be returning some day.

• Liked — So many things.
  • Disliked — nothing
Arkadelphia, Arkansas
Reviewed December 28, 2008

We stayed at the Sunset Vistas (suite 608 S) for three nights and absolutely loved it. We have stayed at several other Condos on the Atlantic side of Florida and in the Panhandle. This was one of our better experiences, and was a great value for the money.
Sure the furniture was a little dated, and the drinks at the poolside bar were expensive. But we didn't go there to lounge around on rich Corinthian leather. There is a convenience store right across the street and many fantastic eateries close by. I can't wait to go back.

• Liked — Value-Large space for not a lot of money.
  • Disliked — Slightly dated.
Branson, Missouri
Reviewed December 9, 2008

Our family stayed at Sunset Vista the week of Thanksgiving. We have 3 children 15, 12 & 5 and stayed in the 2 bedroom ocean view. The beach in front of the resort is wonderful. The kids enjoyed the pool area. The room was ok. It was nicely decorated and of nice size. I did find a empty beer bottle under my bed. The fitted sheet is not fitted on the bed and comes off the bed with every turn, next time I think I will bring my own. Also they do not give you any more paper towels (so if you start out with a half a roll you make ask for a full one) or go by some when you shop. Only 2 packs of dishwasher liqud is your limit. No salt or pepper if you plan to cook bring your own. The Publix was great. The fresh seafood they have was amazing.

• Liked — View
  • Disliked — hated sheets
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family