“July 4th weekend” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 48 Hotels in Treasure Island
San Antonio, Florida
“July 4th weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

My wife and I stayed with our two kids this past weekend for the 4th. My kids are 8 months and 2 yrs old. The staff at Sunset Vistas are always nice and easy to talk with. We showed up a little after 2pm. Room was not ready. No big deal as I thought we'd walk the beach. My wife needed to use the restroom so she went to the lobby to find the nearest one. While in there she asked about how long did she think untill the room would be ready. The lady at the desk called housekeeping and BOOM, the room was ready. I live 50 miles north of Sunset Vistas and have stayed in many hotels in the area. These by far are the nicest and if you have little one, the kiddy pool is awesome! My kids loved it. Only one little hicupp. I wanted to cook Pancakes for my kids and called the front desk for a skillet. They said they'd be right up. I waited 20 minutes and called back to make sure I gave them the right room number, still no go. The kids settled for strawberrys and a waffle. It didn't kill the trip but was a little disappointed. Other than that, we will be back and thank you Sunset Vistas for a great time.

• 3 of 5 stars
ghoch, General Manager at Sunset Vistas Beachfront Suites, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thanks for spending your holiday at Sunset Vistas, and for the helpful comments and compliments. I was very surprised by the lack of a frying pan as we try to maintain consistent utensils, we are sorry for the miscommunication upon your request. We are glad you will be back soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Most importantly: we rented through an owner at VRBO or HomeAway websites. The unit was managed by a local company who communicated with us prior to, during, and after the visit. I am over-zealous in my research and spent several weeks pouring through HomeAway and VRBO for the perfect vacation spot for my husband, 6-year old daughter and I in late October 2012. We were pleased with Sunset Vistas and we will definitely return.

Our owners prepared us by stocking the kitchen with basic amenities as well as beach necessities - bag, toys, chairs, pool noodles, etc etc. There were several sets of extra sheets and towels and starter kits of kitchen cleaning supplies in addition to the stacked washer dryer which we used daily.

As soon as we checked in I checked the bathrooms and kitchen for cleanliness, which weren't terrible although not spotless. The carpet and tile floors were free of debris but not sparkling clean. Considering the resort is on the beach, you know - with sand, I didn't expect it to be pristine. However, the dishes had debris on them so I put them all in the dishwasher and ran it while we unpacked. Luckily, I checked again before we left to figure out that the dishwasher was broken. I did NOT want to deal with a repair person, so we picked up more dish soap and some disposable stuff as well as trash bags. Problem solved!

We were 2 doors down from the elevator which is one of my very few complaints - the windows facing the courtyard are very thin and did not keep out the hallway noise so my daughter (sleeping in that bedroom) was forced to keep her window closed, and was still bothered by noise. The Gulf-facing windows were extremely effective at blocking noise, particularly when a gaggle of young people gathered on the balcony below us to talk loudly. As soon as I shut the door, I heard silence! The sliding glass doors afforded a nice view, but silent if it was needed. A nice breeze came in at night too! The drapes were heavier, and light blocking although not 100% (can anything be). The small balcony was perfect for morning coffee or an afternoon book. I only wish there had been a hammock :-). You could comfortably seat 2, maaaaybe 3 if your unit had another chair.

The pool was awesome, and had 2 shallow ends / entries. My daughter had a great time in the large pool and the toddler pool (which are on opposite sides of the resort). The hot tub was broken during our visit, which was fine because it seemed that only kids and teenagers wanted to use it. There was ample seating and chaise lounges around the pool but I would recommend more umbrellas or shade options. The lower level bar by the pool had very friendly staff who made great drinks and great conversation.

The boardwalk to the beach was well-maintained, although the shower area could stand to be raised up so that sand actually has a place to go when you rinse off. I do understand that it's a beach, but I hate tracking sand in. We opted to leave a bucket of water at our door and a towel right inside the door. There was also a community box near the boardwalk where you could leave toys etc for others. We found a sand pail there, and a floatie ring, which we left behind at the end of our trip.

The on-site cafe had some great snack and light meal options for us, and we found them to be on the healthier side too. Priced as moderate as could be expected for a beach front resort, the convenience can't be beat, and the staff helpful and friendly. They had a few basics too - dish soap, deodorant, toothbrush. We never had to deal with staff at the front desk so I cannot comment to that.

We had a rental sedan that fit very comfortably in our assigned parking spot - but if a truck or full-size SUV were next to or across from us it could be difficult to reverse out. Just be patient and pay attention! There was an event on the beach while we visited and the hotel had on-site parking attendants to protect the assigned parking and limited visitors spots. We actually did have visitors (friends who happened to be in the area) and they parked easily, LOVED the set up. In our 2-bedroom unit, we had 6 adults and 2 kids for lunch one day and felt there was ample space to sit, perch, converse, and prepare food.

We never utilized the beach chair rental, instead using our unit-provided umbrella and towels. It was a clean beach and we had a lot of fun. Lots of fish but not many shells in the shallow area (my daughter's input). Beautiful area.

We walked to John's Pass one evening and really enjoyed visiting all the little shops. It was a moderate walk for the 6-year old, so stopped for ice cream on the way back. The streets, sidewalks, and pedestrian crossings were clean, well-lit and felt safe. The area pedestrian crossings are controlled, and include neon reflective flags for you to carry as you cross - extremely impressive!

At the end of the vacation I sent a very detailed letter to the management company about discrepancies in the unit - broken dishwasher, certain untidy nuances etc. I was not unhappy with these things, but certainly noticed them and wanted to provide feedback. Not only did they respond within 24 hours, they followed up a few days later to say that the owners had authorized a new dishwasher as well as several other suggestions I made. When we return to FL next year, I know we will consider Tampa airport and Sunset Vistas at the very top of our list.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank DMAHayes
We appreciate such an informative review. We encourage booking directly with the hotel and the on-site rental program to ensure immediate response to any issues in the future with staff on premises. We are so happy to have met your expectations and that you enjoyed Sunset Vistas.
Pinellas Park, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Just returned from a long Fourth of July stay-cation at the Sunset Vistas. No complaints other than the rain but it is summer in Florida. The condo was nice, roomy and the six of us were quite comfortable. Never ate at the little cafe but the drinks at the beach bar were great. Staff was very friendly and helpful and they kept the grounds clean and safe. The beach has umbrella and chair rentals which are well worth the $30 to sit in the shade all day. Both pools along with the jacuzzis were packed but workers kept the areas clean and organized. All in all it was a great weekend..

Room Tip: Every room has a small balcony with a view of the Gulf. Full kitchens with small washer and dryer.
1 Thank Vicky7065
Such nice comments, thanks! Unfortunately we did experience an unusually rainy holiday.
We are happy you had fun and that our staff was efficient on the busy holiday as well. Hope to see you again soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We love Sunset Vistas. We have stayed there many times, and it's such a nice place. The staff is always friendly and helpful, and they will go above and beyond to make their guests' stays enjoyable. The two bedroom condos offer full kitchens with granite countertops and two full bathrooms. The decor is up-to-date, and the gulf front condos have absolutely breathtaking views. And of course, the sunsets are magnificent! They have a very large heated pool, two hot tubs, and the best kid's pool, complete with little fountains. There is also a tiki bar facing the beach, and a cafe for those times when you just don't feel like making breakfast or lunch.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank KD1016
It is very gratifying to hear such nice comments, thank you. Our staff appreciates hearing when they hit a home run!
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Myself, my husband, daughter, son-in-law and 2 grandchildren stayed here 4th of July week. It was our 1st time here and we rented suite 612N from a Treasure Island realty company through VRBO. Since we rented through a realty company, there is no maid service and any issues you have with the unit itself, you contact the realty company. The one issue I had with Sunset Vistas is regarding the lack of enforcing the pool rules. Non-enforcement of these rules makes it difficult for those who do follow the rules to get a table/chairs. The pools open at 9 a.m. and the sign at the pool entrances specifically states that reserving of chairs/tables at the pools is not allowed. Four of the seven days we were there, we witnessed one guest going to the pool area once the pool gate was unlocked for the pool man, reserving 5-7 lounge chairs and a table with 4-5 regular chairs. Then she would disappear until way after 9 a.m. There were numerous others that also reserved a couple of chairs or a table. Then some would actually get into the pool (roughly around 8-8:30 a.m. while the pool man was cleaning the kiddie pool or the hot tub). I called the front desk and informed them and was told they would get their pool staff to ensure the people were told to leave. When the staff arrived, they only told the people in the pool to get out but let them stay in the pool area. They did nothing about the reserved chairs/tables where no guests were present. The staff member at the front desk actually told my husband when he called, that he could go move their towels....REALLY??? and that certainly wouldn't start a fight, would it?!?!? Another issue is our reserved parking place was in the covered parking area. There were guests across from it that literally tailgated EVERY DAY and EVERY NIGHT, RAIN OR SHINE that we were there making it very difficult to park. They had numerous chairs set up beyond the parking space and one night they had a PIZZA PARTY with a table blocking the entire roadway. Besides those things, the unit we rented from the realty office was very nice, very clean and had a spectacular view of the beach and pool. We brought our own blow-up mattress for the kids because we have had bad experiences with poor mattresses in the pull-out couches in the past at other places. While neither bedroom had floor space for the kids' mattress, there was plenty of room to put it in the living room or the kitchen area outside the 2nd bedroom.

Room Tip: 612N gets the sunset views. We had a couple of days with high winds causing a lot of sand blowing a...
cincinnati
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Five adults and a two year old...all family members enjoyed our stay in the lovely decorated 2 bedroom condo. Beds were comfortable and rooms were quiet...enough for a toddler to nap, even during the 4th of July week.The beautifully landscaped courtyard and sparkling clean pools and hot tubs really added to our ocean escape. Our granddaughter loved the fountains in the kiddie pool. What a great convenience to have a borrow box of pool and ocean toys (even a few donated beach chairs!) so that we didn't have to lug so much from our room each day. Service was quick and efficient. We had two minor issues in our room which were corrected immediately upon request. We also appreciated the convenience of the reasonably priced café right on the property...visited it 3 times in 5 days. Our only request would be to speed up the internet connection. Thanks, Kathy, for spending so much time helping us plan our Getaway. We'd love to revisit sometime. :)

• Liked — our balcony with a lovely view of the pool and ocean
  • Disliked — slow internet
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here as part of a group for a family reunion. I enjoyed my stay. The room was clean and spacious. The kitchen was nicely stocked with cooking supplies. We also had beach chairs, floaties, and beach toys in our room.

I also really liked the cafe. It was reasonably priced and they had a nice selection of food and drinks. The cafe service was wonderful.

One of the few downsides to our stay was the pool and bar closes at 10pm.

Overall I liked it and would go back.

• Stayed July 2013