“OK” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #41 of 48 Hotels in Treasure Island
Chicago
“OK”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

If you have to save money, this place is ok. We stayed in an end room on the second floor overlooking the shuffle-boards and the awesome beach. Beautiful views of the gulf! The people are very friendly and helpful. The pool is awesome. It was very clean, and the water was at a perfect temperature. People were grilling every evening, and there were a lot of people who came with other families. This made the Easter week lively. There were people of all ages.

The "ok" part was the room. They did not supply dishwashing soap (I bought some, as well as paper towel and a box of tissue), and the kitchen utensils and appliances were less than clean. I only made coffee 1 day and did not feel well later that afternoon. (It could have been any number of things, but it struck me as odd that it was the only time I used the room coffee maker that seemed to be old and moldy. My husband brought me coffee from the store down the street the other days, and I had no other issues.) The house keeping person was very friendly, but she simply wiped out the sink with our towels, made the beds, and vacuumed every other day, if that. We never saw any cleaning solutions used in the kitchen, sink area, nor the toilet and tub.

We usually pay twice the cost of the Sands and stay at the Bilmar. We wanted to save the money this time. I guess it would depend on our financial status to determine if we would return again, but I'm thinking probably not unless they upgrade the cleanliness of the rooms. We will never know unless others add to these posts in the future....

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank swa737Chicago

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Parrish, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

Just spent an amazing weekend at The Sands.....Although an older hotel, everyone is friendly, pleasant and right on the beach --- what more can you ask for. We had a poolside room which had a full kitchen, living room and bed room. We'll be back again next month! Thanks to everyone who made our stay wonderful!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank djm6107
Springfield, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

Place is very old, sign says built in 1947, and not up dated since. Great location on the beach, very nice pool area and great place to watch the sunset. However the room was a little edgy. Beds a little rough, fitted sheets kept slipping off because of the plastic mattess pad. Sink, stove, frig., which didn't work so we had a dorm frig., combination was from the original construction. Carpets dirty and tattered. Very wierd was not screens on the windows to enjoy the gulf breeze. Staff was very friendly and very helpful but the other guests, all seemed to know each other, were very rude. Parking was a problem as you parked across the street about a block away. For what I paid I have had better in the area. Doubt if I will go back. Sorry Sands Resort.

Room Tip: Front desk guy and housekeeping are the highlite of this resort.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Out_of_towner448
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

If you're looking for a cheap place, on the beach... this is definitely it!

Yes it's dated. It looks like it's never been redone since the 60's, but it doesn't show wear. The rooms are super cheap, including the bed, with a kitchenette in it. They also have apartment style rooms with 2 bedrooms, a fold out couch and a kitchenette as well. And when I say on the beach i mean On. The. Beach. You walk under a cross section of rooms, past the pool and Bam! Sand and ocean.

Just a warning if you're younger, if you try to check in during the day and are under 25 you'll have a hard time, unless the old people that run the place have moved on. But after peak hours we had a nicer lady who warned us that they wouldn't be happy but we were 18-20 (at the time-3 of us) and had a credit card, so she would let us.

The beds are comfy the views can't be beat, and the availability to the water front at all times of the day and night is amazing!! There is no breakfast, and you will either have to take a drive or walk a bit to get food. There is a little grocery store about 2 blocks away, which the rooms with kitchens are handy for. The rooms do include a few pots and pans and mismatched dishes (also dated), but seriously it can't be beat, especially if you're spending a whole week there!

It's quiet and seems to have quite a few regulars most of the time, staying in the larger rooms. I don't think I've ever seen the pool being used either, but when the beach is 30 ft away I guess you can't blame people. The cleaning persons have a sense of humor too. They cleaned and restocked everyday, and folded clothes and laid them on the bed if we had them strewn about, propped and stuffed animals near the pillows and occasionally folded towel animals.

The only downfall is its a local run business, where I believe the owners live in one of the rooms, so if you need room service in the middle of the night or anything, you need to go out the lobby area and ring a call box outside of it. Like I said... very dated, but way way cheap well under $100 for beach side hotel. My parents had stayed there, and loved it when they were younger, and I make it a point to stay there every time I'm in the area.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank iagomega
Charleston, SC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

My lovely bride and I decided to spend a week or so traveling for our 25th anniversary. First stop was New Orleans over Christmas 2012. We always love NOLA but after 3 nights we were excited to get down to Treasure Island, FL. We are in the antiques business and wanted to find an old retro '50's motel. The Sands fit the bill perfectly. When we drove up I was taken back to my youth when traveling with my family throughout Florida in the 1950's.
The Sands is a really cool place if you like retro and the family feeling of chatting with people who have been going to the Sands for decades. We managed to get a room facing the ocean and up stairs over looking the shuffleboard courts. Next to the room is the heated pool which came in good use as we stayed the end of December and the weather was on & off for three days.
I'll be honest, the room itself was nothing to write about and I didn't enjoy a good sleep due to the mattress needing to have been retired at least 10 years ago. My wife on the other hand slept very well. All the room needs is a good refit of furnishings and some routine maintenance to bring it back to it's comfortable glory days.
The beach is just fabulous with a wide, 500ft or more, of soft white sand dotted with small "islands" of vegetation and palms. There are cabanas set up out near the shore, and the sunset is just beautiful even with the clouds we were having. Our day trips included going down to Passe a Grille at the south end of the island and going up north about 45 minutes to the Greek village of Tarpon Springs with all its sponge shops.
One afternoon while my wife enjoyed a 90 minute spa in downtown St Pete I enjoyed an excellent cigar and Port wine at Central Cigars. Back at the motel breakfast was just down the street from The Sands at Ricky-T's. we also enjoyed some evening drinks and a dinner all of which was excellent with great service. At first glance Ricky-T's looked like it might not be for everyone but we quickly warmed up to the place and made it a stop every day. Did I mention the service was great!

Would we go back to The Sands?..................Yes, as the look and feel of the retro motel is just in our blood. If you need high maintenance and a plush atmosphere then I can recommend the Don CeSar on St. Pete Beach down near Passe a Grille.
Next stop, Daytona Beach and the New Year. What a great anniversay!

Room Tip: At the back of the motel there are two sets of two rooms up stairs each with a shared balcony facing...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank EDGE_of_America
clearwater beach, florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

After a very stressful few weeks, I needed a place to get away for the night and stumbled on this place by accident. I wanted a retro looking hotel that was quiet and empty where no one would bother me. I drove up and down the beach, from Clearwater to Pass-A-Grille, but no place seemed to have that 'lost-in-time' feel where I could just loll around, not worrying about wasting money, cleaning my house, or thinking about the kids.
I pulled into the Sands parking lot at 11:00 a.m., and the desk attendant let me check out a room before I committed. The second floor room was large and bright with a direct view of the beach and it overlooked the pool. I had two queen sized beds, both of which were comfortable... so comfortable that I accidentally fell asleep. I woke around 2 p.m. and went for a long run. After the run, the afternoon sun hit my hotel room so awesomely that I opened up the sliding door to let some air in and fell asleep again!
After waking, I took a shower; plenty of hot water and water pressure.
I went back to the office to ask about places to eat, and a second desk attendant recommended Foxy's. "This is where all the locals go," she said. I went there and sure enough, everybody seemed to knew each other. My meatloaf was good and the Magic Hat beer was cold.
Afterward, I stopped at the cigar bar across the street and ended staying a couple of hours, talking with friendly people.
Went back to the Sands and fell asleep till the morning. About nine a.m., I heard a knock on the door. I got up and said that I'd be there in a moment, but the woman's voice on the other side of the door just said "That's all right. No need to open up. I was just checking on you." She was probably a housekeeper, but she was so cheerful that it sounded kind of nice to be checked up on even when I was hiding out.
I left about 11 a.m. completely well-rested and relaxed. The hotel was built in 1947 and retains those clean lines that define that 'sky's the limit' feel of the atomic age and definitely served the purpose I so needed! Can't wait to go back again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank b4beachwagon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

My family and I stayed at the Sands June 15-17, 2012. We had a wonderful time! The rooms were spacious, clean and very well maintained due to the age of the facility! After seeing the pictures and reading all of the reviews prior to our trip, I was apprehensive (due to being used to modern facilities) but convinced this place was worth a try since this was our first "beach vacation".

Upon arrival, I was afraid of how my kids would react but immediately, we felt very comfortable! We met other families who visit the Sands annually and have done so for over 20 years!!! That alone to me, spoke volumes!!! If your looking for 5 star appearance, this isnt the place for you. But if you're looking for a GREAT family spot and totally feeling like you're at home away from home, then pack your bags and head to the Sands! The staff is great! The location couldn't be better! Minimal traffic and totally "family friendly"!!! When I checked out this morning I told Patty that we will be booking for next year. My husband quickly said, "we'll be back way before then"!

• Stayed June 2012