“Not worth the trip”

Gators Cafe & Saloon
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Scenic view, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Gators Cafe & Saloon is ready for your vacation in Treasure Island, Florida! What was once a small beach bar has grown into a 400 seat sports bar and restaurant complex, with waterfront views of historic John's Pass and the Gulf of Mexico. Our second floor comes fully-equipped with the Gator's Saloon Tasting Room, The Tiki Lounge at Gators and a sunset view that will make all of your Facebook friends jealous.
Reviewed April 8, 2013

When we arrived (after sitting for 5-10 min waiting for a server to approach) we were told 3 servers had just quit and the kitchen was pretty 'backed up'- even with that kind of warning we thought we'd stick it out- they are a pretty famous local place, right? Bad decision! Our server ?Gabby? was lovely but the food was totally mixed up, out of order, - I could go on- but let's just say if it weren't for the dolphins it would have been a complete loss!

Reviewed April 1, 2013

This is NOT a fast food joint, you will wait for your food but it will be worth it. You go there for the experience....if you want fast food there's a mcd's down the street. The staff are excellent. The evening we went it was chilly and the staff found us a huge table (party of 6) and brought over a heater! They made sure we were comfy the entire time we were there. We never had to wait for refills. Food was good, atmosphere is relaxing. We had 4 kids, 1 five yr old & 3 teens. Gator fans will be super pleased with the upstairs and the bar is gorgeous (inside) even to a tea drinker like me. Worth a stop in. Not our first visit, we will return. :)

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Much improved. Shrimp appetizer is awesome! The location is perfect and the prices are very reasonable.

Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

Sitting here waiting on food and refills. They are way too busy for the number of people. The view is very good. The wait is making the kids frustrated. It has been an hour waiting to order and get food.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

My friends had been to Gators in the past year and said I would be abe to see the dolphins at John's Pass. We agreed to go for happy hour because their previous experience and timing was for the dolphins. I was not disappointed (yet). We sat on the patio and enjoyed the attentive, friendly service from Erica and the pulled pork nachos (plenty for sharing!). There were several dolphins in the waters including a baby and I loved it! Our party had not yet decided on a dinner option for the night so we cruised the menu at Gators. An insert was in the menu announcing a Lobster special for the evening so we decided to do some shopping in John's Pass and return for dinner. That was the biggest mistake !!!! We returned and sat inside because it was a tad chilly. We sat in a room with another couple and a family group of about 8 people. I had to use the ladies room and I noticed as I walked through the place that it was not busy at all. No one came to acknowledge us for about 10 minutes,,,we should have left! Finally Madison came and took our drink order, nothing special, a beer pitcher and 2 mixed drinks. After about 10 minutes the mixed drinks came. Again, we should have left! the beer came about 5 minutes later. Madison came to the family group and took their order....ignoring us. So now we have waited about 15-20 minutes, cruised the menus and had a beverage...no dinner order taken. Madison finally got her act together and came to take our order. I promptly asked for the lobster special and Madison informed us that the special was not happening because there was not enough lobster...REALL???...so I asked why are the inserts in the menu????? Her reply was that the manager had a "fit" because the reverse of the lobster special was the previous evenings family pasta special and the inserts HAD to be in the menu...REALLY??? Okay, now I will admit that we are idiots for not leaving but collectively after a long day, we were just too tired to walk anywhere else. The men in our group ordered the beef, I had the cuban and my friend ordered the mac and cheese. We did some uncomplicated substitutes, my friend wanted mashed instead of the mini bakers and I wanted french fries not chips..sounds easy right...GATOR FAIL! The dinners came seperately served by staff other than Madison and if they had on a uniform of any kind I didnt notice. They were unfriendly, uncommunicative and I initailly thought they were other patrons except they were carrying my dinner! The beef looked microwaved and the substitution didnt happen, the men said it was good but I didn't try it. My cuban (with chips..FAIL) had 3 slices of meat, too much sauce and no flavour. The mac and cheese was good! (shocker), very cheesy and a huge serving. I did steal a nibble of it and enjoyed the cheesy bacon and it had lobster too...there's my lobster! I watched the other diners and the family group left before us and the older gentleman was clearly irrate. I overheard Madison ask if he wanted to speak to the manager and he gruffly said no (at this point I understood how he felt). Their party quickly left and the clean up crew swooped in (finally Gators did something fast). Madison said to her coworker "that guy was pissed" to which her coworker quickly hushed her. Servers speaking about patrons in the dining area is unprofessinal restaurant behaviour I detest. I noticed a flurry of activity and running when Madison opened the payment card, again, the staff spoke loudly enough for me to hear that the family group gentlemen didnt sign the charge bill and the raced after him! I wished he had gotten away! (yes I am at this point supporting dine and dash). I could not wait to leave! Madison finally came with our bill and we took off ASAP. The only things we took from the experience was pleasant memory of dolphins at happpy hour, great company and the knowledge that I can hopefully deter anyone else from wasting their money and appetites on this waste of resaurant space...go for the dolphins at happy hour and LEAVE!