“Great value, great pool!”

and 1 more site!
John's Pass Beach Motel
Ranked #26 of 48 Hotels in Treasure Island
Reviewed April 29, 2008

I have lots of family in Pinellas County/Treasure island, so am familiar with the whole area. This motel is exactly what I want when I go there: not luxurious, but perfectly OK, very clean, roomy, and well worth the cheaper price compared to the rest of the Gulf Blvd./Madeira Beach strip. My room had a kitchenette, dining table, and a separate bedroom area for less than $100 a night (in the summer). The pool is absolutely wonderful... super clean, free of noisy kids, (but we can't always be guaranteed that, can we?) and a cool, un-sandy option from the beach, which is a few steps away.
I look forward to going back (almost for that pool alone!) next time I visit my family! Ahhhh....

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank MummaGirl

Reviewed October 13, 2007

We stayed at the John's Pass Beach Motel from October 2-7 2007, and were very pleased with the property and the service. The last time I stayed at JPBM was in 1989, and although it has been sold a couple of times since, it is essentially the same great little motel it was back then.

Location: Located next to the beach with only a small alleyway between the main building and the pool & beach, and directly adjacent to the John's Pass bridge, marina and shopping complex. There is construction going on at the bridge right now which does create some noise and traffic congestion, but never at night time. All the popular gift shops & restaurants along Gulf Blvd are all within walking distance. Plenty of parking if you have a vehicle.

Pool/Beach: The pool is warm, and a decent size for a smaller motel (roughly 20 rooms). Plenty of chairs, umbrellas and pool toys, but unfortunately no city-owned rental beach huts in the area, they're about a 5-minute walk away, no big deal. Plenty of fishing action along the beach (mostly smaller fish, but an occasional mackeral). High tides can bring in seaweed and some sharp seashells, so wear your sandals or keep a close eye to the ground, although this usually washes out in the tide again as the day goes on. There are also warning signs for stingrays, but we never heard of any incidents. Boat and jet-ski rentals are available at the John's Pass marina, and dolphin sightings are common when you're on a jet ski. Fun indeed, although prices are high for off-season.

Room: A little dated, but clean with daily maid service. Our room had a full-size fridge, 2-burner stove (no oven), microwave and toaster. Apartment-style rooms were also available. Lots of towels & soap, but no shampoo provided. Large tv with 70+ channels, and great pool & ocean view from our balcony.

Service: Prompt & friendly, although I must add we pretty much dealt with just the one guy (the owner) all week. He was always on-site, saying good morning to his guests, cleaning the pool, helping the maid, etc. Check-in/check-out was quick & smooth, although they do ask that you pay in full at check-in, not check-out.

Overall: Can't believe we went this long between visits. We have also stayed at the Sunrise Motel in 1998 (great price, service & amenities, but too far south on the island), and at the Tahitian Resort in 2001 (nice property, but a little expensive, and 90% of guests were 70+, making us feel out of place). We will definitely be back to JPBM again. It has everything you're looking for in a low-cost motel; location, cleanliness, service, price. It may be a little dated, but certainly in better shape than most other similar properties. With so many "mom-and-pop" motels being tore down to make way for condos, I only hope JPBM survives. It's Treasure Island's best kept secret.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank Troutandsalmon
Reviewed March 11, 2007

Good value for the excellent location. Property is right in the HEART of Treasure Island fun. We booked the room for a week and had no real issues to complain about. The owner was friendly to us each day and appeared to be constantly working hard.(laundry/towels/trash etc.) The motel is older but overall not in bad shape. If you are going to Treasure Island for fun and need a clean , decent priced room then this is the place. We parasailed and went to ballgames and shopped so we really never needed more than we had. Not fancy but gets the job done!

Stayed: March 2007
5  Thank MRINSANE
Reviewed August 6, 2006

Was ABSOLUTELY great for the price. Was a little leary after reading some of the previous reviews but am so glad we gave it a try anyway. We stayed from the July 23rd - 28th. Was clean, roomy and had the pool and beach just as advertised. Only about 8 steps to the pool and beach is right there at the end of the pool. Had grills for cooking out and inside of room was wonderful. I did not get charged for extra sheets for the couch as someone posted in an earlier review. We took Unit #2(right next to the pool) and it was wonderful. It had one bedroom, pull out couch and kitchenette with kitchen table which was more than enough room for the five of us. We had two doors and the one by the pool had screened in porch sitting area with table and chairs. The porch screen was ripped in a couple places but not big deal. Outside could use some paint but inside was really nice. Had everything we needed except should have brought coffee. The room had a coffee maker but I didn't bring any coffee(my fault). Owner and everyone else was very nice and they were never not friendly. Other reviews were upset the owner didn't mingle but never have I stayed somewhere where the owner mingled with the guest. Having the beach right there was great for the kids. We constantly went from the pool to the beach and back to the pool. Kids had an absolutely lovely time and we even found a dollar gift store down the street in Treasure Island which the kids loved. On the beach we found several sand dollars and of course buckets of shells. Beautiful sting rays could be seen early at sunrise and the birds were beautiful. Room, grounds, and pool were all in wonderful shape and very clean so I am not really sure what the earlier review were talking about. Wasn't a high rise elaborate establishment so if that is what you are looking for then this is not the place for you. If you are looking for a reasonable priced place to relax and enjoy the gulf coast then this is perfect. Plus just down the road is St. Johns pass with all the shops that was great to browse through.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
7  Thank tms05
A TripAdvisor Member
Brandon, Florida
Reviewed July 3, 2006

I have stayed here several times...now i live in florida and wanted to stay there on July 4th for the good spot it give the fireworks.....the owner answered the phone (after like 7 times I called).....I asked him if he had a room, he said yes....but after I told him I just wanted to stay one night....he got rude, said he couldn't make money that way....told me he didn't have any rooms (after telling me he did)...and hung up.
I have to say, he doesn't give foreigners a good reputation. You will never see my money again Haji.

• Stayed: July 2004
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 30, 2006

I booked this hotel for my in-laws but when I went to see the facility, changed my mind. The motel was dated and in need of repair. The pool is across a street/alley. The front fountain was broken. There is construction that makes it hard to get into the parking lot. I called to cancel the reservation 10 days prior to arrival and was told that the hotel needed four weeks advance notice of cancellation or I would be charged one night stay. I only booked the room last week! I told the man that I would not authorize a charge and that I felt 10 days was a sufficent notice. The man again stated that my credit card would be charged and then hung up on me. I immediately called back and got an answering machine. I proceeded to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I find it interesting that even the positive reviews, indicate that the manager is thought of as rude and not very pleasant. There must be some truth to that. There are way to many friendly people to waste vacation time dealing with this man.

• Stayed: June 2006
3  Thank Kristen B
A TripAdvisor Member
Tampa, FL
Reviewed June 27, 2006

Called to make a reservation and spoke to the owner, who was barely able to speak English. He was emphatic that we have NO visitors, stating that the holiday weekend was too busy for any visitors at all, whether for an hour or more. When I questioned that, he SCREAMED "Your reservation is Cancelled!" and slammed the phone down.
Do not go to this place where there are so many other nice establishments on the beach.

Stayed: June 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Treasure Island
The Tahitian Resort Treasure Island
The Tahitian Resort Treasure Isl...
#17 of 48 in Treasure Island
#15 of 48 in Treasure Island
The Bungalows
The Bungalows
#9 of 48 in Treasure Island

Been to John's Pass Beach Motel? Share your experiences!