“Don't be deceived by the professional photos.”

VIP Lounge & Restaurant
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Reviewed February 25, 2013

So we were seduced by the photos of fresh looking salad ingredients. This place looks dive-y from the outside and is pretty much the same inside. We sat at the bar - big mistake as you see the wait-staff/bar people ditching all the food into big bins and then worse still tipping big bins of yuck into bigger bins! Unfortunately we'd already ordered by then and I was deserately in need of some fresh salad. We waited and waited and waited, probably the longest we've ever waited for food in the States. The name is a lie. VIP Lounge and Restaurant???? firstly, it isn't anything approaching VIP so that must stand for something else. It's certainly isn't a Lounge, no idea where you'd "lounge" as the tables block the way in and then there are a few bigger tables against the wall at the back, but nothing is "restaurant"-y about it. it's just a dirty sort of bar with some tables. Anyway,t he reason for going to a "restaurant" is to eat, and I must say when it finally did arrive it was quite tasty. My husband had fish burrito Chicago Style and I had Steak Fajitas. It was an enormous serving and I took enough home for lunch tomorrow. That's if I don't succumb to food poisoning overnight from thinking about how dirty the place was. It needs a fire hose taken to it to clean out every grotty nook and cranny. The only thing clean was the bar top and it seemed to be new - maybe of some sort of laminex product, but everything else was just... I couldn't wait to get out of there. The wait staff were rather slow and not very friendly either. I think I'll be having our final meal in St. Pete's at either of the two icecream parlours that rated nos. 1&2 of 31 restaurants on Treasure Island - quite bizarre when you think about it.

1  Thank Aussiewriter

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed near VIP Lounge on our vacation recently. Both my husband and I manage a restaurant, so it's in our nature, to observe how the staff interacts with customers. We were amused by the waitress/bar lady (I'll call her D.) She was just rude, obsessively using the F-word, grumpy. But, we liked the food. Always good, large portions, good happy hour specials. We stayed in a hotel across the street, so we were regulars that week. We will be back to eat there, cause we like food, the service is just a bonus.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Recommended by several others to try VIP for Mexican and we weren't diasappointed. Food was fresh and tasty.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

A restaurant worth the wait! Delicious Mexican food and we shared the Buffalo Shrimp, excellent. The restaurant is frequented by many locals and tourists and you may walk/drive by it as it isn't the most appealing frontage on Gulf Blvd. but make no mistake this restaurant is top notch. A little tip is to ensure you are on "the list" for a table. You can be on the list by going to the end of the bar (not at street entrance) and you can also wait outside in the back patio which wasn't as crowded as compared to the bar area inside. We will return!

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Even though we sat outside, the service was still good! The food was hot and there was plenty of it. If you leave there hungry it's your own fault! Great place to go with daily specials.