(The following is just my opinion, remember it’s all opinion, until it happens to you.)
Wow, what can I say. This place is Terrible! We booked three units for Christmas week in December of 2006. We were all extremely disappointed. My family, my brother’s family, my mother, two more brothers and one or two other families moved to different resorts. One of the other guests left and stayed at ThunderBird’s down the street and called their credit card company to dispute the charges (don’t pay with a check, like I did). I (and other non-related guests) had several conversations with Jeffery. I asked for full refunds for my entire party and was denied. He came to Whispers and offered to let one of the other families stay in a different unit, unfortunately he did not stop to talk to anyone in my group. To resolve our complaints, Jeffery did kindly give us two (not three) units in Bermuda Bay. Altho not fantastic, these units were much nicer. The pool and spa at Bermuda Bay are perfect and the bay view is very nice.
When we first arrived at Whispers we were surprised to see a car-wash directly across the street and a vacant lot next door. There seems to be a lot of construction in this area right now. The pathway to our separate rooms had some beautiful plantings but was very overgrown. When we opened the door to our unit we were surprised to find the rooms rather small and the furniture somewhat worn but upon first glance they did appear neat and clean. The other two units also appeared clean and neat at first glance. We were greatly disappointed as we walked to the pool/pier. The pathway to the pool is a cracked, uneven, dirty sidewalk that takes you past the supply closet and mechanical systems for the pool. As soon as we saw the pool we knew we had made a huge mistake. The small pool is in serious need of a new paint job and some maintenance. I called Jeffery and he said he cleaned it that morning. I have a pool and I would not want my children to swim in the pool at Whispers. I spent the next one and a half hours hosing the dirt off the pool deck in an attempt to make the best out of the situation. I would not recommend sitting on the metal furniture around the pool, most if it is so rusty that the bottom two inches of each chair leg is corroded or missing. Jeffery told me to sit on the plastic and cement furniture when I called him to complain. The pier would benefit from some some maintenance as well, there is no beach. When the other members of my party arrived they began to unpack. As they inspected their rooms more closely they all began to find problems. Some of the beds, in spite of having feather covers, are terribly worn out. Through tears in the plastic mattress coverings we found holes, tears, rips and stains on some of the mattresses. Jeffery offered to replace the worn mattresses, (that’s nice, but who wants to wait a day or two for that?) The more we looked the more problems we found. The air-conditioning is very inadequate, some of the furniture has passed it’s prime, and some of the rear doors don’t lock well. I also bought $23.00 worth of ant sprays and traps from the Ace Hardware around the corner to treat our room. One of our biggest complaints was some of the electrical wiring seemed unusual. I am NOT an electrician but when wires are running through air ducting, stapled to walls and hanging out of water heaters, I get scared for my family’s safety. When I mentioned these electrical concerns to Jeffery, he mocked my concerns stating that I was being “nit-picky and unreasonable.” O.K. maybe I was going “overboard” with my inspection, but when you find one thing wrong, it leads to more discoveries, the more I looked the less comfortable I became. I took a great deal of pictures. He did say all the plumbing was updated and that his units are inspected all the time. Unfortunately, we had several other issues and really felt that Jeffery had misrepresented Whispers in his internet ad and also his brochure. After several heated discussions, one overnight stay at some distant relatives, and a message left with the Better Business Bureau we decided to accept Jeffery’s offer of two units at Bermuda Bay. I figured we might as well get something out of the deal. We are now waiting to see what will become of our security deposits, I am afraid we will have difficulty obtaining them as well, I’ll update this site when I know. What a nightmare! From now on we will be staying at larger corporate run facilities or obtain first hand recommendations from friends.
I wish I found this site before I stayed there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bright and Cheerful Unique Themed Decor Boutique Resort.......Your choice of One and Two Bedroom Condominiums Plus a 3 Bedroom House!.....Fabulous waterfront location in the heart of Treasure Island..... *** Close to Shops, Dining, Supermarket, Water Sports, Beach Trolley.....This Unique Heritage Property has been Updated in Fall 2012..... *** Full Kitchens with full size Appliances, Stove, Microwave, Fridge. *** All Appliances, Cookware, Dinnerware included. *** Iron, Hair Dryer, Linens, Beach Towels. *** Tiled throughout *** Large Size Feather Beds offer a Luxurious Sleeping Experience. *** Pull Out Sofas in Living Room *** Free Wi Fi *** Free Cable 70+ Channels *** Large Flat Screen TV's *** DVD Player, Stereo System *** All Ground Floor Suites with Private Patios..... Water Front with Lush Tropical Gardens....... *** Heated Pool *** Large Fishing Dock *** Bay Front *** Dolphin Watching *** Boat Mooring *** BBQ *** Very Private and Secluded. *** Fully Fenced. Children and Pets Welcome. *** Free Parking.......Beach Access take your car or a short six minute walk....... *** Close to Historic Johns Pass Village - 1 mile *** 20 minutes to Down Town St Petersburg and Tropicana Stadium *** 35 minutes to Tampa International Airport and Clearwater Airport *** 45 Minutes to Busch Gardens *** 45 Minutes to Hard Rock Casino *** 90 Minutes to Disney, Universal and Sea World. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda and TripOnline SA so you can book your Whispers Resort at Treasure Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Whispers Resort At Treasure Island Hotel Treasure Island
- Whispers Resort At Treasure Island Florida