Ok I must admit that after reviewing the reports on Tripadvisor my heart sank.
I had already made my flight reservations and was booked in at Whispers when I read the reviews on Tripadvisor.
To cut a long story short, I was ready to cancel but I thought better of it and I called the owners of Whispers, Jeffrey and Sharda.
They were very forthcoming about it and they told me that there were several negative comments posted by some very difficult guests, and there were equally comments posted by very satisfied guests.
Most of the negatives were from overseas visitors who had expectations of America as chrome and glass and high rise modern.
Now I will say this, if you expect a cookie cutter vacation, like a Sheraton Hotel or a Hyatt or Holiday Inn then this is not for you.
Whispers is absolutely the most charming of places, a pure delight, as only a small mom and pop operation can be when the owners have poured their heart and soul into it.
You can be as personal or as private as you wish to be. Jeff and Sharda like to mingle with their guests and chat with them, as we did. However if you want to be private and disappear into your own world you can do that to.
Personally, Stan and I, loved the people we met there and we enjoyed sitting at the pool chatting and having a drinks with them.
The property is very small with only seven or eight condominiums and I had a chance to see most of them at one point or another.
They are absolutely darling. Every one is fresh, clean and decorated in a style from a different country or part of the world. We stayed in the Southwestern one that has very warm colors and a USA desert Southwest feel. Our neighbours had the Florida one and it was completely different, having pastels and Florida decor.
Across from us, there was a British couple in the Oriental and it looked very rich with Eastern fabrics and ornaments.
Personally I loved the gardens. They are very lush so you really feel like you are in the tropics! Again I contrast this with an institutional hotel that has a token palm tree in the driveway!
I was amazed at the butterflies that were attracted to the garden!
Some of the reviews said that they are overgrown, but I saw Jeff working in the garden, trimming and so on and it is truly a labor of love. It takes a lot of work to make it look natural, if you know what I mean.
I could go on and on because my expectations were low before we arrived but we feel so blessed to have found this little gem of a resort. We will definitely recommend it to our friends and we hope to be back.
I truly feel for Jeff and Sharda, they DO NOT deserve the harsh comments posted on this website. I do not know what expectations these people had other than they must have wanted Las Vegas style glitz rather than an authentic Florida experience.
Speaking of which, I hope that Jeff and Sharda manage to hang on to Whispers because all the small hotels up and down the coast are getting bought up and turned into huge condominiums.
I think that the Whispers advert says that Whispers is "An Oasis in Paradise"
It certainly is.
So I hope that I have reassured the readers of this website and we wish Jeff and Sharda continued success.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bright and Cheerful Unique Themed Decor Boutique Resort.......Your choice of One and Two Bedroom Condominiums Plus a 3 Bedroom House!.....Fabulous waterfront location in the heart of Treasure Island..... *** Close to Shops, Dining, Supermarket, Water Sports, Beach Trolley.....This Unique Heritage Property has been Updated in Fall 2012..... *** Full Kitchens with full size Appliances, Stove, Microwave, Fridge. *** All Appliances, Cookware, Dinnerware included. *** Iron, Hair Dryer, Linens, Beach Towels. *** Tiled throughout *** Large Size Feather Beds offer a Luxurious Sleeping Experience. *** Pull Out Sofas in Living Room *** Free Wi Fi *** Free Cable 70+ Channels *** Large Flat Screen TV's *** DVD Player, Stereo System *** All Ground Floor Suites with Private Patios..... Water Front with Lush Tropical Gardens....... *** Heated Pool *** Large Fishing Dock *** Bay Front *** Dolphin Watching *** Boat Mooring *** BBQ *** Very Private and Secluded. *** Fully Fenced. Children and Pets Welcome. *** Free Parking.......Beach Access take your car or a short six minute walk....... *** Close to Historic Johns Pass Village - 1 mile *** 20 minutes to Down Town St Petersburg and Tropicana Stadium *** 35 minutes to Tampa International Airport and Clearwater Airport *** 45 Minutes to Busch Gardens *** 45 Minutes to Hard Rock Casino *** 90 Minutes to Disney, Universal and Sea World. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and Booking.com so you can book your Whispers Resort at Treasure Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Whispers Resort At Treasure Island Hotel Treasure Island
- Whispers Resort At Treasure Island Florida