“People Are Crazy, This place is Wonderful!”

Whispers Resort at Treasure Island
Lincs UK
Reviewed November 27, 2005

Ok I must admit that after reviewing the reports on Tripadvisor my heart sank.

I had already made my flight reservations and was booked in at Whispers when I read the reviews on Tripadvisor.

To cut a long story short, I was ready to cancel but I thought better of it and I called the owners of Whispers, Jeffrey and Sharda.

They were very forthcoming about it and they told me that there were several negative comments posted by some very difficult guests, and there were equally comments posted by very satisfied guests.
Most of the negatives were from overseas visitors who had expectations of America as chrome and glass and high rise modern.
Now I will say this, if you expect a cookie cutter vacation, like a Sheraton Hotel or a Hyatt or Holiday Inn then this is not for you.

Whispers is absolutely the most charming of places, a pure delight, as only a small mom and pop operation can be when the owners have poured their heart and soul into it.

You can be as personal or as private as you wish to be. Jeff and Sharda like to mingle with their guests and chat with them, as we did. However if you want to be private and disappear into your own world you can do that to.
Personally, Stan and I, loved the people we met there and we enjoyed sitting at the pool chatting and having a drinks with them.

The property is very small with only seven or eight condominiums and I had a chance to see most of them at one point or another.

They are absolutely darling. Every one is fresh, clean and decorated in a style from a different country or part of the world. We stayed in the Southwestern one that has very warm colors and a USA desert Southwest feel. Our neighbours had the Florida one and it was completely different, having pastels and Florida decor.
Across from us, there was a British couple in the Oriental and it looked very rich with Eastern fabrics and ornaments.

Personally I loved the gardens. They are very lush so you really feel like you are in the tropics! Again I contrast this with an institutional hotel that has a token palm tree in the driveway!
I was amazed at the butterflies that were attracted to the garden!
Some of the reviews said that they are overgrown, but I saw Jeff working in the garden, trimming and so on and it is truly a labor of love. It takes a lot of work to make it look natural, if you know what I mean.

I could go on and on because my expectations were low before we arrived but we feel so blessed to have found this little gem of a resort. We will definitely recommend it to our friends and we hope to be back.

I truly feel for Jeff and Sharda, they DO NOT deserve the harsh comments posted on this website. I do not know what expectations these people had other than they must have wanted Las Vegas style glitz rather than an authentic Florida experience.

Speaking of which, I hope that Jeff and Sharda manage to hang on to Whispers because all the small hotels up and down the coast are getting bought up and turned into huge condominiums.

I think that the Whispers advert says that Whispers is "An Oasis in Paradise"

It certainly is.

So I hope that I have reassured the readers of this website and we wish Jeff and Sharda continued success.

Bernice P.
Lincs UK

Stayed: November 2005
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Baltimore
Reviewed April 20, 2005

We have to say that Whispers has become part of our hearts.

We stayed there for two months and did not want to leave. So we extended our stay for a week. That was all we could do beacuse they were full after that so we had to head home to the North (Baltimore area).

Whispers is truly a place of tranquility.
There are wonderful gardens and fabulous secluded nooks and crannies to sit and be at peace.

We needed to keep in touch with our business, so the owners allowed us to install high speed Internet service in our room for our laptop.

Ray, found himself wanting to potter around in the garden, which the owners, Jeff and Sharda, were agreeable.
We brought our little Dachshund, Gretchen and she got friendly with Leela, Jeff and Sharda's Labrador. The property is fenced in, so no problems with safety or Gretchen getting lost.

In the event, Jeff and Sharda, "adopted" Gretchen and she could be found poking around in their house! Ever inquisitive, she is!

One thing led to another and we formed a really close bond with Jeff and Sharda, and by the end of our stay, we felt more like family than strangers.

They really opened their hearts to us. Their son Nathaniel, is 12 years old and he would visit us in our condo from time to time whenever he saw us sitting out on the patio.

All in all we cannot wait to return. This is a very lucky find for us and we cannot say enough good things about Whispers and our hosts.

Patti and Ray

• Stayed: January 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 20, 2005

It was with great excitement that we booked Whispers. The web-site looked fantastic. Unfortunately the magic did not last long as we were harassed for the holding deposit the next day (we are in the UK) and had to spent £20 for a special transfer. Doubts set in. On reading the bumpf again, I realised that there were no dishwashers (how could I book somewhere with no dishwasher)? I had looked at so many on the internet that I missed this detail. When we arrived we were very disappointed. The outside space they described was a dark back alley that nobody would want to sit in, complete with rusty dirty bar-b-que and dog excrement. There was only the children at home to complain to as Jeff and Sharda were 'away chanting'. The kids, bless them did their best to tidy up and brought us another rusty, dirty bar-b-que! Inside was not much better. There was a very old air-con unit (only in the lounge) that made so much noise it was better to endure the heat. We had to replace four light bulbs, and the ancient microwave smelt of hot dogs. You are expected to sleep on a bed with a 'European style' feather duvet on the mattress, which is covered with a plactic fitted sheet for hygiene. Well, this makes you sweat like mad, and I have lived in Europe all my life and have never come across this practice. The pool is supposed to be heated by solar panels. It was FREEZING, nobody went near it. The pool and yard furniture is old tatty and mostly broken, and the covers are left out in the open so when it rains they all get wet. There was only one toilet roll and trash bin liner and you have to ask for replacements. The cleaning fee of £65 (that is English pounds! not Dollars) is totally unreasonable. I have delayed writing this as I was not sure I would get my damage deposit returned. I have just received it, we have been home five weeks.

• Stayed: February 2005
14  Thank Burcottbabe
Woodberry, Minnesota
Reviewed July 17, 2004

Reading the reviews regarding this place, it would seem that the Brits have more integrity and taste than we Americans sometimes give them credit for.
This place is the pits,the rooms are tiny,dirty and ill maintained.The gardens are overgrown dirty and ill maintained.The pool is overgrown and ill maintained.

Notice a theme here???Maintainance is NOT the Solomons mainstay,overpricing and writing their own reviews seem to be more their thing.
Somebody with the skill/will could make Whispers a great vacation residence, but untill those people buy it...STAY AWAY.
How the S.S.L.A. can let this place sully their name beats me.
Hell,with the stuff on their website,this guy should be a Disney imagineer..........

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Milwaukee WI
Reviewed March 24, 2004

We have just stayed at Whispers and both we and our next door neighbors who we met down there have booked for next year.

We have been coming to this area for 40 years - and this is the nicest and most friendly places we have stayed. A real charmer.

When we retire in a couple of years we will be back for 4 weeks

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
uk
Reviewed March 7, 2004

Hugely disappointing experience. Brochure makes it sound like a tropical oasis. In reality it was overgrown, run-down and poorly maintained.

The condos were small, dingy and in poor decorative order. Cleanliness was also sub-standard. There was only one air conditioning unit which was old and inadequate (none in bedroom).

The patio area 'suitable for dining and grilling out' according to the brochure was in fact a narrow, cracked pathway strewn with leaves.
Patio furniture was dirty, old and worn out.

The walkway to the pool was also cracked and badly maintained. The pool was covered in foliage as there was no screen cover. Furniture there was also in need of replacement. We have the pictures to prove the above.

The central courtyard was overrun with greenery which meant it felt claustrophobic.

Whispers was so bad that our travelling companions deemed it so bad they left after one night with no refund. On pointing out our concerns we were told that it 'was just a place to sleep' and we were being 'pedantic'.

We note there is a glowing review from Roz and Ira. When we stayed there the owners were on holiday and his sister was in charge. Her name was Roz, she was South African and newly married - coincidence? We will never return.

12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ohio
Reviewed February 29, 2004

I have just had the best time ever at Whispers with my husband and two children 12 and 7 years.

We loved our room and the great location.

We found it easy to get a round and close to everything. I recommend Johns Pass fro Dining and Shopping and the Ma Thai Thai Restarant there.

Our room was comfortable , clean and the property was very private. The owners were very friendly and helpful.

Whispers is very family friendly and we became very attached to the chocolate lab who the kids played with whenever they could.

You dont find many resorts like this anymore - they are all chrome and glass chains these days - but we love Whispers.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member