“Excellent stay”

Whispers Resort at Treasure Island
Reviewed December 3, 2013

We recently stayed at whispers for two nights and can say that it was perfect and exactly as we expected it to be. It was clean and beautifully furnished, all facilities we required. The location was perfect, we could walk to shops, bars, restaurants and the beach within minutes. Being 5 mature ladies we felt comfortable and safe.
I would like to add my appreciation to Jeffrey, as stupidly I left a large amount of money in the room when I left, Jeffrey was of course very honest and went out of his way to assist me by finding the money and arranging for it to be sent to me to save me having to make a long journey back to collect it. We would all definitely stay here again and would recommend Whispers to anybody. Thank you Jeffrey and Sharda.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
whersuch, Owner at Whispers Resort at Treasure Island, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2013

Hi Wendy,

Thank you so much for your great review.

I am glad to have helped you get your money back.

Sharda and I look forward to having you back and hopefully you will have a little more time to explore the many wonderful experiences here in the St Petersburg Area.

Wishing you all a Merry Xmas!

Safe trip home.

Best wishes

Reviewed October 2, 2013

My husband and I booked unit 4 for 8 nights. We were unable to sleep here, as the bed was so uncomfortable! The mattress was worn out, lumpy and soft. You would sink into a hole and not be able to get out of it! We tried to sleep on the couch, that was hard with metal rods in our backs. It became so bad, we actually rented a hotel for a couple nights so we get some sleep! The room looked as it appeared in the pictures, it was pretty clean and I didn't see any bugs. The outside patio had so much dirt and mold on it, we did not want to sit out there..definitely would not eat out there. The pool was dirty. There was a nice dock where you can fish or dolphin watch. Saturday night some people came and stayed in the room across from ours. They had a heck of a party all night long! People coming and going all night and the music blaring!! Definitely would not return here. I guess if you just want a place to crash and party it would be ok for you...not for us!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank alexanders07
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We spent Labor Day weekend here and had a such a great time! The location is excellent! We stayed in the house where we slept 7 along with our dog. The beds were all comfortable. There was so much room! We enjoyed the dock in the back as well as the grill and swimming pool. Walking distance to the beach, Publix and great restaurants. Jeffrey and Sharda were extremely accommodating. We can't wait to return next year.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank domingo24
whersuch, Owner at Whispers Resort at Treasure Island, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

I am delighted that your family and friends had a great time in the Executive House.

I have you confirmed for the same time next year.

Thank you so much for the nice review, we appreciate it,

Warm wishes from Whispers,

Reviewed July 27, 2013

We had a girl’s only vacation this summer as just my three teenage daughters and I were able to go. We decided on a relaxed week at the beach at Treasure Island. I chose the Whispers Resort based in part on location and price. We were very pleased with our choice of accommodations. Jeffrey and Sharda, the owners, were wonderful to work with and made us feel welcome. Even though they do not reside on site, they responded to our requests in a timely manner and were on the property quite a bit during the week we were on vacation. Whispers is an, old resort property which has been restored in a unique and charming way. From the beautiful tropical landscaped courtyard, to the gorgeous bay front pool and dock, we felt as if we had stepped into our own little private oasis once we walked through the decorative red ornamental gate. There were few guests there during our vacation so we felt very private as well. We pretty much had the pool area and dock to ourselves, which was great! The location of Whispers is also a plus. We could walk almost everywhere we wanted to go: the beach, grocery store, shops, and restaurants. The neighborhood is very safe. The police department is just a block or so away. We stayed in the two bedroom unit (number 7, The Florida Suite). It is adorable, especially for teenage girls! They loved the bright colors and the fun Floridian themed decor. The suite was very clean and well maintained. It has a window unit for the air conditioner, but it cooled the unit more than enough. I understand there are plans to install central air in that unit this summer. I highly recommend Whispers Resort for travelers who want a unique vacation experience and are value conscious. They will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank MLTK_13
whersuch, Owner at Whispers Resort at Treasure Island, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2013

We are delighted that the "All Girls" vacation at Whispers was a huge success.

I am glad that you mentioned the security being so safe.

One of the things that travelers are concerned about is safety especially when it comes to places that they are unfamiliar with.

This is especially true for ladies who may be on their own.

Whispers is very safe, and it is very private and completely fenced and hidden behind lush tropical gardens.
Like a private home.

From the street it is tucked away from prying eyes and you feel that you are safe and are being taken care of.

We call it a Retreat.

Once common theme you will find in many of the reviews is how much people feel that they are in their own private home.

So glad that you all had a marvelous time.

Respectfully,

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I rented the "Executive House" for a week in July.

PRO'S:
For prime season, the price was FANTASTIC, house layout was wonderful; bedrooms are separated by central living room & dining room area. Sleeps 8 very comfortably. One entire side of the house (that faces the Bay) are sliding glass doors, with a very lovely view. House was clean and very welcoming! Plenty of beach towels, dishes for cooking & eating, etc. Only needed to buy things like trash bags, paper towels, dish soap, etc. Most everything was provided. Location was great, close to beach, shops, restaurants & bars. Publix grocery store is walking distance. The resort owners were very helpful & answered all my questions. Email was a great way to communicate, instead of playing phone tag. I got non stop compliments from my friends & family asking me how I found this place. The "courtyard" area that you walk to, to get to the unit is absolutely adorable. There's a little fountain right outside the front door that adds to the ambiance & a iron gate before you get to two big red doors that lead you into the house. Overall the house is very cozy and sweet. It's not top of the line appliances or modern decor, but that's exactly what we liked about it. Has central air, with the exception of one room that had a wall unit. But it wasn't smelly or mildewy like in cheap hotels. I have very sensitive allergies to mold & mildew (non stop sneezing) and ended up sleeping in there & was fine.

CON'S (SOMEWHAT)
The pool is at the back of the property and runs the length of the home rental (and the only reason I'm not giving it 5 stars). So you literally step out one of the 3 sliding glass doors into the common area; grill, dock, pool. So hopefully whoever is also renting one of the other 8 units, are not annoying or problematic. We had a couple that got way too comfortable & once they started drinking, thought they could walk in & out of our rental unit. So I had to sternly tell them to make themselves comfortable elsewhere. If you don't handle confrontation well or get unlucky with a rowdy group that's partying it up at the pool/dock, I could see that being a problem, since the unit is extremely close quarters. The same way someone has a private pool at their home. The same couple later were screaming at one another at midnight so loudly I thought I may have to call the police. Once I told them to quiet it down, they stopped. But again, I had to handle it myself. Depending on what you're expectations are, this may or may not matter. This rental is perfect for low maintenance people. There's no "front desk" or on site staff, so if you lock yourself out of your room or need after hours response, you're going to have to be patient.

The refrigerator was a slight problem, with a house full of people opening & closing it, it wasn't very cold. But there are 2 other small ones in the house, so we just ended up moving the milk & those type of things over. The washer was defective & leaked, but we only needed it once & when I informed the owner he said that he had just ordered a new one. Dryer was also broken, but was scheduled to be replaced as well. Again, none of these things were a problem for us. Just depends how high maintenance your family/group is.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sovay22
whersuch, Owner at Whispers Resort at Treasure Island, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Thanks for the nice review.

Actually the room that you stayed in does have central A/C - this is one of the European style split systems that we have just installed.

It is good that you mentioned that the 3 bedroom 3 bathroom house is part of the Whispers property and it shares common area spaces with the other guests. Such as the pool and the dock.

My family and I lived in it for many years and it was a lovely home for us.

I miss the days of sitting in the sun room that runs the entire length of the water frontage just 20 feet from the water.

That is the life.

Warm wishes

Reviewed June 20, 2013

We looked up the Whispers Resort on line and decided to stay there for our kids spring break based on the pictures that were portrayed online. What a mistake. Upon our arrival we quickly realized the mistake we had made. The place was worn out, dirty, smelled and did not look anything like the pictures. They were full and would not move us to another unit and we ended up having to wash the sheets on the bed because there was hair in it. So we ended up staying for a couple nights until my wife spotted some roaches in the silverware drawer. We moved out and went to a Hotel. The couple we were vacationing with had the same problem and they left with us. Very unreasonable people to deal with. Overall Dump. All I can tell you is if you have any expectations of cleanliness..... this is not the place for you.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank HPA67
Reviewed May 30, 2013

After a trying year, we needed a good dose of rest and relaxation. And we found it big time at Whispers Resort. Where do I begin... the unique themed units (we chose the Hawaiian), the local flora lined pathway, the various water features, the pool, the dock, the lovely pool. We didn't rent a car and rarely missed having one.The beach is a 5 minute stroll from Whispers as is the Publix grocery store. Local eateries, drug store, liquor, bait shop all within easy walk. And speaking of bait, the dock was a great place to drown some bait, make friends with the pelicans, or enjoy the balmy breeze under a moonlit sky at night. Everyone we met was warm and friendly and I credit Whispers for that. It's not the extension of a concrete jungle. It's more of an eclectic taste, with the themes and the old world Floridian charm. Don't look for new chrome appliances and granite because you won't find it. You will find caring owners in Jeffrey and Charda. You will find a lovely respite. We stayed 7 days and saw either Jeffrey, Charda, or the grounds keeper every single day. They care about their space. Jeffery continues to perform upgrades, so some of the older reviews are outdated. There is a wonderful tree near the pool so don't be put off with the occasional leaf you will find in it. I made a game of out of leaf chasing when swimming. We can attest to seeing the pool cleaned everyday. Take advantage of the Trolley system. For $4.50 get a go-card pass (from the trolley driver) and ride all day long. We visited the Salvador Dali Museum in St. Petersburg and the Chihully glass exhibits. Both are a must see. Our advice... explore the area. Then come back at night, lounge on the dock and marvel at the day. We loved our stay at Whispers and plan to return next year.

Room Tip: rooms 1 and 5 are closest to the front gate. If you can when you check in or see Jeff or Charda, ask...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank fundmntl
jeffmsolomon, Owner at Whispers Resort at Treasure Island, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

OUR PELICAN RESCUE:

I love it when someone "gets" Whispers, and I can say that Yvonne and Glen are the most charming couple and we had some lovely chats around the pool because the daily pool cleaner is me!

Thank you for your kind words. We appreciate it!

Sharda and I really look forward to seeing you again, soon!

I have to give an update on our renovations....I just put in a new Chlorine from salt pool sanitizer and I put some extra time in getting the water balance right. It kept tripping and so we put in a dedicated electrical line. This computerized device uses ordinary table salt and electrolyzes it and makes a much more healthy sanitizer than chlorine that is harsh and potentially toxic.
I hope that you all enjoy the new, soft water.

Last week we caught an injured pelican on our dock at Whispers. It was limping badly.
We found out that it had a hook in its foot and fishing line was cutting into its skin. We had to capture it with the pool net!
With 3 of us, one to hold its beak and wings, one to hold its foot and spread the webbing, and one to actually remove the hook.

The hook was right through the bottom of its foot and had lodged itself into the toe.
We had to cut the bottom off the hook that still had the line and lead weights attached, so that we could pull the hook through the foot and then to unhook it from the toe.

Dolphins and sea manatees also get trapped in discarded line and hooks. It frequently causes maiming and death in these magnificent creatures.

Perhaps this is a good time to remind all the anglers - Please dispose of your line and hooks responsibly into the trash can. Please do not leave it them in the environment, or on the dock and do not dispose of it in the water.

'Till later....