“My honest opinion”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Seahorse Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Treasure Island
Seahorse Cottages
Orlando, Florida
“My honest opinion”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

It was our 20th Anniversay and we were looking forward to a few days away. We love camping and staying in rustic syles places when we travel. The Seahorse cottages looked like a good optionl. Wrong!! There is a difference between rustic and dirty. These are quaint little cottages right on the beach. Great location. Four cottages face the beach. Knotty pine all inside. What a great place if someone gave it some TLC. There was an inch think dust and dirt in all the window sills. Old (I mean old) and dirty furniture. I tried to sweep the floor and the broom had so much hair and dirt on it I had to clean it before I even used it. There was a cute turtle made out of towels on the bed when we got there. I though the turtle had eyes until I got closer and realized it was a stain on the towel. The towels were so old and worn. Like "hello" Target $4.99???? We couldn't even eat at the kitchen table at night because the cord to the hanging light above was cut and hanging on a hook on the wall. Sitting outside by the Gazebo looking at the ocean seemed like a good idea until we looked down to find red ants all over our feet. These cottages could be a great place to stay if the owners would only take the time to give them a good cleaning. They are cheap enough to stay there but I wouldn't pay a penny to stay there again. Like I said old and rustic does not have to mean dirty. It's too bad because they could be something special.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Sandy B
MikeMadBch, Manager at Seahorse Cottages, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
I must say that this review was a tough one to read for me, as the descriptions of the condition are quite exaggerated. First off, I will say that the light cord noted in the review was indeed broken, and I'm not sure how it got that way, nor do I know how/why it was not brought to my attention for repair. That one is totally our fault, and has since been repaired.
However, the other items are simply not as this guest stated. First, an "inch thick layer of dust"?. That's a bit of an exaggeration, and I have personally inspected the cottage since this guest's stay and did not find dust/dirt on the window sills. The "old" furniture - the sofa in the sitting are is less than 1 year old, and the loveseat was reupholstered last year as well. Granted the dresser and dining table have seen their best days, and are scheduled to be replaced soon. Regarding the towels being worn out and dirty, I will strongly disagree - we contract with a professional linen service to clean our linens (they also do most of the major hotels/condos on the beach). They will not allow a stained/torn/worn towel to find its way into one of the rental units. The broom - again, a bit of exaggeration. Unless this guest did a terrific job of cleaning the broom during his/her stay, there is nothing wrong with the broom in the cottage. Fire ants - I've got no control over them - talk to God. We have a licensed pest control company that treats the cottages and property each month.

It is extremely surprising to see a "Terrible" rating on a review when the last 9 reviewers gave us 4 or 5 stars (six of them were 5-star, and 3 of them 4-star). Yes, the cottages are still a work in progress. Previous management let them go for quite some time. We are now working on the cottages, one at a time, and doing a lot of work on them. This past week all of the flooring was replaced in cottage #2, and new bedroom furniture is being delivered this week. We have also just acquired a new table & chairs for the kitchen. Next project is the bathroom in cottage #2. Once completed, we will move on to cottages #4 & #5 (#3 has had quite a bit of work done on it recently, as well). Landscaping has been improved/enhanced and a sprinkler system installed. Things are continuing to improve all around the property.

New photos of cottage #2 will be posted when the work is completed and new furniture brought in.

Finally, we request of our guests that if something is amiss that they please let us know and give us the opportunity to address the issue, instead of leaving us a bad review. We will make every effort correct any issue brought to our attention. It should also be noted that the previous reviewer, who stayed in the exact same cottage, only a few weeks prior, noted how clean the cottage was.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
North Port, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

These cottages are older then your grandmother, but in Real Estate it is all about location. If you rent one of these, you will be sitting directly on the beach. Unlike the other resorts in the area, you will not be bothered by people walking past constantly. The cottages are old, but very clean, and seem be be one of the best prices on the beach. If you are looking for rustic, you found it. Each cottage has the everything you need including stove, frig, microwave, cable tv, Internet, and microwave.

Room Tip: There are 5 cottages, and some are bigger then others, so ask about what is currently available. Som...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TWS1161
MikeMadBch, Manager at Seahorse Cottages, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
You are so right about the location concept! These little cottages are set on a wide stretch of beach, and within a very short walk to a grocery store, restaurants, shops, etc. It really doesn't get any better than this! Well, not true... it is getting better at the Seahorse Cottages. We are continuing our work on these little gems to make improvements wherever possible. I hope you will come back soon for another visit. Thank you for taking the time to help others understand more about these great little cottages.
Lawrenceviile, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

If you miss the Florida of the 50's-70's, do not by-pass this place. The cottages are refurbished 1938 units (four face the beach and gulf). It bought back memories of when I was a child and my family would rent a cottage for a week on the beach. No frills but that does not mean run down rustic. Each unit has a modern kitchen, comfortable beds, hot water showers, and air conditioners that have no trouble cooling you down after a long, hot day at the beach. If you are like me and wish to cook your own meals, a Publix is right across the street. The only problem was the rude guests that took more than their one alotted parking space. But all I had to do was call the management office and the problem was solved.
If you are looking for a luxury, 5-star hotel, go to the Hilton. But for a wonderful get-a-way with lots of charm and atmosphere, check the Seahorse out. The location is perfect for attractions in St. Pete and Tampa. And the price is soooo right. Mike, one of the managers, is very patient and helpful and will answer all your questions.
I loved this place and I will return.

Room Tip: You can rent beach umbrellas, chairs, etc. But $20 a day is alot. Since we flew down, we shipped o...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Richard M
Thank you so much for your kind review, as well as the positive feedback and information for future guests. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit. It's nice to see someone appreciate the charm of these nearly 'extinct' type of properties as much as we do. I'm sorry your stay was marred by guests who commandeered additional parking spots, but, I'm glad you gave us the opportunity to correct the matter. We hope you will come back for another visit real soon.
New Port Richey, Florida, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

Im a St. Pete native who now lives in a beachless area of Florida. I know why bother? I have spent a great deal of time on the Pinellas beaches and Treasure Island has always been my favorite. As for the Seahorse Cottages, this is beach living. If you are looking to be pampered and have all of your needs attended to you should look elsewhere. If you are looking for a real Florida beach expirence than the Seahorse is the place. My family has stayed here many times and we've seen it go down hill to the point of closure and it was sad to think that this slice of old Florida was probably going to be torn down and up goes another ugly condo blocking the view of the beach. Thankfully it has been takin over by Vacinity Property Management and they are really doing a lot of improvements without killing the charm. In our cottage there were many improvements like a new floor and kitchen. The only reason that i did not give this trip an "Excellent" is due mostly to the beds. The bed in our cottage was extremely uncomfortable. We unfortunately were there at the same time as a large group of very rude people who basicly took over the limited amenities such as the outdoor eating spaces and all of the back common area behind the cottages. You can often meet some very nice people hanging out behind the cottages in the common area which is by the way where the beach starts, this just was not one of those times. Overall though I higly recomend The Seahorse cottages, if you're here for the beach this is the pace to be.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Scott P
Scott,

Thanks for taking the time to give us a nice review. We also appreciate the feedback on the bedding situation. We put those beds in there when we took over the management (you should have seen the old ones!). It appears that they are now in need of replacement again. We will be putting new beds in that unit quickly, based on your comments. I'm sure future guests will also appreciate your taking the time to let us know. We hope you'll be coming back soon.

Regards,

Lawrenceburg, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

I used to go to Seahorse when I was little with my family. Went back 8 years ago, and just got back last week from staying 10 nights their. We absolutely love it. My husband is from Florida, and says there is no other community like Treasure Island. We are actually thinking about moving now. The cottages have everything you need. There isnt anything like being able to just walk out your door and be right out on the beach. It was mine and my husbands first vacation in 6 years of marriage and it was wonderful. It's our own little piece of paradise. ANd until we decide for sure to move down there, we will continue to come back to Seahorse Cottages for our annual vacation. We are hoping to bring our whole family next year to start wonderful memories with our kids and grandkids.You cant ask for a better place, the beauty will always remain the same, no matter how old I am.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank saundra c
Saundra,

You have no idea how much we love to see reviews like yours. We are so glad that we are a part of this little piece of paradise, and we're working hard to preserve it. There are so few places like this left. I'm glad you had such a nice time, and we hope you will come back very soon.

Tampa, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2012

We stayed for three days and enjoyed every minute walk out your door and there is the beach like the old style florida cottages just kick back and relax. You have everything you need in walking distance public, restaurants, bars etc. We are customers for life

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Jessica B
Jessica,

I'm so glad you found us!! And, I'm glad you had such a great time at the Seahorse Cottages. We hope to see you again soon.

Best wishes,

Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

I basically grew up in cottage 1 with my dad and sisters (2bedrooms, pull out couch, nice kitchen.) We had family reunions at Seahorse every year the entire week of Memorial. We did this up until my high school years. We stopped due to economy and expectations of the cottages dwindled. What I can remember is having our whole family in one little are of the beach. And it was nice. I can't imagine a better time to bond with family. I have years of memories at those cottages. I always pictured returning with my kids, and this summer 2012 we will be. We are having another family reunion and I cant wait to see the changes the new owners have been doing. I know things will be different from when I was a kid but that doesn't always have to be a bad thing.

To those who are looking at these reviews to help make their choice... If you are someone who has high expectations and like maid service and breakfast delivered this isn't for you. These cottages are just that, COTTAGES. They are rustic, small and "Do it yourself" style. I always had an "at home" feeling while there.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family