“A wonderful place!”
Review of Seahorse Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Treasure Island
Seahorse Cottages
Lawrenceburg, Kentucky
“A wonderful place!”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I used to go to Seahorse when I was little with my family. Went back 8 years ago, and just got back last week from staying 10 nights their. We absolutely love it. My husband is from Florida, and says there is no other community like Treasure Island. We are actually thinking about moving now. The cottages have everything you need. There isnt anything like being able to just walk out your door and be right out on the beach. It was mine and my husbands first vacation in 6 years of marriage and it was wonderful. It's our own little piece of paradise. ANd until we decide for sure to move down there, we will continue to come back to Seahorse Cottages for our annual vacation. We are hoping to bring our whole family next year to start wonderful memories with our kids and grandkids.You cant ask for a better place, the beauty will always remain the same, no matter how old I am.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank saundra c
, Manager at Seahorse Cottages, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Saundra,

You have no idea how much we love to see reviews like yours. We are so glad that we are a part of this little piece of paradise, and we're working hard to preserve it. There are so few places like this left. I'm glad you had such a nice time, and we hope you will come back very soon.

Mike

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Tampa, Florida, United States
Reviewed May 6, 2012

We stayed for three days and enjoyed every minute walk out your door and there is the beach like the old style florida cottages just kick back and relax. You have everything you need in walking distance public, restaurants, bars etc. We are customers for life

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Jessica B
, Manager at Seahorse Cottages, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Jessica,

I'm so glad you found us!! And, I'm glad you had such a great time at the Seahorse Cottages. We hope to see you again soon.

Best wishes,

Mike
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed April 9, 2012

I basically grew up in cottage 1 with my dad and sisters (2bedrooms, pull out couch, nice kitchen.) We had family reunions at Seahorse every year the entire week of Memorial. We did this up until my high school years. We stopped due to economy and expectations of the cottages dwindled. What I can remember is having our whole family in one little are of the beach. And it was nice. I can't imagine a better time to bond with family. I have years of memories at those cottages. I always pictured returning with my kids, and this summer 2012 we will be. We are having another family reunion and I cant wait to see the changes the new owners have been doing. I know things will be different from when I was a kid but that doesn't always have to be a bad thing.

To those who are looking at these reviews to help make their choice... If you are someone who has high expectations and like maid service and breakfast delivered this isn't for you. These cottages are just that, COTTAGES. They are rustic, small and "Do it yourself" style. I always had an "at home" feeling while there.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Juli R
Niagara Falls, Canada
Reviewed April 2, 2012

My husband and I take a couple of trips a year. This was our 1st trip away with our daughter ( she is 11 ). We started in Orlando, Disney of course. We couldn't wait to get to Treasure Island. We stayed in cottage 3. Yes, it is rustic. It is a COTTAGE ! The place has everything you need. When we arrived I took a quick inventory of the place...ran across the street to Publix ...stocked up and I joined my family on the beautiful white sand beach all within 30 min. Our daughter had her 1st taste of the ocean....3 dolphins swam right by her !
The Seahorse is not a 5 star resort. It is what you make of it. We cant wait to return !!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank kim3556
MikeMadBch, Manager at Seahorse Cottages, responded to this review, April 7, 2012
Thank you so much for letting others know of the great time you had while staying at the Seahorse Cottages. Don't you just love these little cottages?! I'm happy to hear your daugter's first visit was a memorable one. Please hurry back for a visit!
Hebron, Kentucky
Reviewed March 30, 2012

Our family used to vacation here for years in the early 70's. My parents continued the tradition until a totally unqualified manager turned it into a dump. However, he's gone, and the new folks are fixing the little cottages up, so it was especially nice to introduce my husband/ daughter to the Seahorse Cottages earlier this month. The 3 of us stayed in #5, the efficiency. My husband and I are used to a king size bed so we didn't sleep too well on the double. The couch does not roll out, so our daughter slept on an air mattress. It was definitely a tight fit, but since we didn't spend much time indoors, it didn't matter. It was perfect for our needs. The view from our bed was the beautiful beach, which is incredibly spacious...plenty of room for flying kites! The sunsets are the best in FL. There were no bugs out during our stay. We brought our own beach chairs/towels to sit down by the water. The weather was perfect - no need for blankets - didn't even need the A/C...plenty of breeze through the windows. The beach is nice cause it's not packed with tourists. There's a boardwalk that starts just to the north of the cottages and goes up about a mile (?)...great for morning walks. And in evenings you can see some of the entertainment at the venues that it borders. Sunday evenings prior to sunset and continuing to about 10, "drummers" of all kinds gather down by the water and play for hours...great entertainment! Publix food store and a liquor store ;-) are conveniently located within walking distance. John's Pass (touristy shops/restaurants) is about a mile north...easy walk. Kids will love the freedom and open space to run around outside. At night you can sit outside under the wooden open-air shelter and turn on the little white lights that decorate it. WiFi was rather weak, but we weren't there to sit on the computer. TV was old...no "plug-in" capability for gaming devices...not even sure if there was a dvd player...we didn't turn it on. Mgmt was very accomodating - even brought us a blender for our happy hour! We'll be back!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank yvonne w
Tampa, FL
Reviewed February 10, 2012

We rented bungalow number 3, with 2 beds and 1 very small bathroom for a Bachelorette Party because it's within walking distance to bars, restaurants and the beach trolley (right outside the front door at Publix!). The cottages are "old florida" with bare miniumum kitchen aids (bring your faves if you're staying a while) and wooden without insulation or heat, so bring a blanket if you go during the "winter" (we couldn't find any in the cottage)! Hey, it's not like we're going to cook during a party, so this place was absolutely PERFECT for girls on a budget.

Parking is at a minimum (1-maybe 2 cars per unit) but there's plenty of metered parking a block down. Publix grocery store is directly across the street and the bars and restaurants are approximately 2 blocks down the street. The inexpensive beach trolley goes pretty far up and down the coast, so do your homework on where you want to go, unless you just want to ride. The property has outside grills, a small pavillion, lounge chairs and our cottage had plenty of towels. You may want to bring an extension cord or a multi plug to plug into an outlet if you have a lot of electronic stuff to recharge. There weren't too many outlets in our cottage. Bring ice, too! Light sleepers may want to bring earplugs. The main drag is pretty busy and you're sort of close to it. You will be on perfect white sand beaches as soon as you step out your back door!

We rented through Vacinity Vacation Rentals. This was the perfect place to relax, watch the beautiful sunsets with a cocktail and get a little sun before the fun! I will be back, with or without my girls!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank travelbuni01
MikeMadBch, Manager at Seahorse Cottages, responded to this review, February 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and help future guests that may be considering a visit to the Seahorse Cottages. We appreciate all feedback, especially the "good stuff".

I'm sorry you didn't have enough blankets. In the future please just call us and we will deliver extras to you. We have purchased additional heaters, based on your review, as well.

We hope to see you again in the near future.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 30, 2011

In reference to those from 2008 who said this was a dump...you were right. We had been going to the Seahorse Cottages (we've stayed in #2 and #3 and my parents have been in #4 and #5) for 9 years for two weeks at Christmas time. Then they were sold and were really allowed to decline. The last year that we stayed here (2006) it smelled musty and had obviously not been kept up that year. Sadly, the next year we moved up to Madeira Beach to the Starfish Cottages for the next 5 years. Last Christmas we came down to see if the Seahorse was still there and saw fresh paint and work going on. The new property managers let us see the changes and we very excitedly booked this year's trip. Today is the last day and it has been really good to be back "home". There is new flooring, new kitchen cabinets, wifi and many other changes. The new property managers (islandpropertiesbycheryl.com/) are very happy to be maintaining the property and have been very responsive to any needs we had.
The plusses are the location - step outside onto the beach. The beach area is private from the public beach area, but just across the sand if you want to get to the water. It is pet friendly with the private area near the cottages accessible to them to be "on the beach". The dog beach at Ft DeSoto is a short drive away for their swimming pleasure. The sunsets are awesome and right outside your window or pavillion area. Publix grocery and Walgreen's Drug Store are right across the street. There are no massive high rise condos right next door.
The minuses - well for us there are very few. Yes it still needs work and the managers are doing that as quickly as funds allow. It is rustic and "old Florida" feeling. If you prefer the feel of a new modern condo with maid service and laundry facilities and lots of rules, this just isn't the place for you. Not a bad thing, just your preference.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank JuneVan5455
First, I'm so glad you decided to "come back home" to stay at the Seahorse Cottages. Second, I want to thank you for taking the time to write your review. I know that future guests will appreciate your insight, especially considering you've been a guest at the Seahorse over a long period of time.

We are continuing our work on the cottages and are very pleased with the results we are seeing. I hope our guests will be pleased as well.

We look forward to when you come back "home" for another visit.