“Beach, beach, beach”
Review of Seahorse Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Treasure Island
Seahorse Cottages
Treasure Island
“Beach, beach, beach”
Reviewed April 27, 2011

My brother, wife and 4 children (ages 3-13) just stayed here in cottage 3 (yellow trim one). They have the ability to stay in the nicest of places, but since I live next door they booked the Seahorse to be close to me. They had a BLAST. They loved walking out of their cottage and being "right on the beach". Every morning they set up umbrellas and packed a cooler and walked the 100 steps to the waters edge and "set up camp" for the day. At night they built a bonfire where they toasted marshmellows, while us adults enjoyed our beverages. Again, if you are looking for the Four Seasons, then Seahorse is not for you. If your kids love the beach than this place is perfect.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank hayden11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Royal Oak, Michigan
Reviewed April 21, 2011

Our cottage was clean and cozy, with good air conditioning and water pressure. The bed and other furniture were comfortable. We spent most of our waking time on the beach or on the patio (which is also on the beach). Management was friendly and professional. This is not a luxurious place, but it is well-maintained and inviting.. it is so beautiful and peaceful that we unwound completely and had the best vacation ever! We will return.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Youngat66
St. George, Utah
Reviewed April 4, 2011

Relied on other TA members for accurate and honest reviews..seriously, I wouldn't send my worst enemy here. They would only have more reasons to dislike me. At first I wasn't going to review because I had nothing good to say except for the location is great and they are pet friendly. For an additional cost which I still haven't figured out why. Also, I figure anything I say will be refuted by the management team, who I really didn't get to know after spending 22 days there, only because I didn't call to complain..if I had, they would have been out there daily. I did ask for additional cleaning of our bathroom when I saw Cherie there helping another renter.
Where do I start. If it's described as "Old Florida", that's a spin on "run down, trying to fix up, but probably should be bulldozed" Check out my photos for "updating the necessities"
Huge gripe. I was told on the phone that there was laundry facilities. Upon arrival I was told there wasn't. Was advised that there was a laundry for the staff. In the 22 days there, I observed housekeeping throw the linens in the back of her truck and take them...elsewhere? I was told by Cherie that if I wanted to use the laundry discretely to go ahead since "someone" had told me I could. Maybe I should start recording conversations or making sure I get every details in writing...anyhow, this created a problem as other residents started doing the same I imagine, But why shouldn't they. Three of the 6 cottages were rented long term...there is NO WEEKLY HOUSEKEEPING..which means, you have to take their sheets and their towels to the laundry mat around the corner!. Silly me, I didn't notice that in my rental agreement....I simply assumed there was because I was charged an additional $25.00 per week for my dog meant that housekeeping was there once a week, hence the additional cost......Now, if there was a flat rate charge maybe I wouldn't have been blindsided. When I discovered there was no weekly housekeeping....I guess that wasn't the end of the world...the place was filthy when we arrived. I do better myself. Then the last week we were there, they put a lock on the laundry room door. So off to the laundry we went. With their sheets and towels.
So many things wrong with this place. Try to keep it brief now.
Bed squeaked so loud that if either of us turned over, it would wake the other one up. and our combined weight is less that 300 lbs..do the math...male-female...divide by two..we ain't big ones.....
It's cool at times in Feb. Had only a thin quilt (which I washed upon arrival because it was pretty questionable) and a sheet. Once I looked around the laundry room, I snagged a blanket once I washed it.
Our source of heat. Tiny heater that rattled all night. Choice...try to sleep with the noise and freeze or stay awake and be warm... What a joke. These places are so old, I was told they were old Army barracks...and God knows the Army wasn't worried about insulation....up on stilts so you get the breeze from all directions.
Bathroom was atrocious. Even after cleaning by the management and myself...I just never felt clean until we left and arrived at our next destination and took a seriously long hot bath in a new tub.
The furnishings looked like they had retrieved them from a curb someplace. Not even Thrift Store quality. Two chairs that smelled and were...damp and sticky? to the touch. Upholstered chairs have no place in a humid beach rental area.
Absolutely no outside care or cleaning. Twice I emptied the outside trash, and not because we filled it up. People walking through would use it..and housekeeping never once looked into emptying it...also previous tenants, I believe my one neighbor who had been there for a couple months said all the units had been rented to a young group...anyhow, the trash was full and stinking...so I emptied it and had to throw out the extra bags in the bottom as they were trash too.
Several time I saw management come and go...and never bent over once to pick up any trash that blew in from the street.
So I know Mike is gonna reply with the same old rhetoric, "we are working to make the necessary improvements as we have been hired to manage these places and funds are limited..."
Yea, yea, yea.
I am a former owner of vacation cottages and I know how seriously hard it is...but these places are inexcusable. Management companies should tell owners like these that they can't manage something that needs to be bulldozed. Or they will take them on only after they are decent.
We had electric plugs "spit fire" (as my Mom would have said) every time we would plug or unplug the coffee pot...
No smoke detectors...perhaps that isn't a law in FL?
Little stuff that could be fixed easily. No basket for the kitchen sink drain. I bought one, took it with me. Lamp with no turn switch on it...I took one off the a lamp in the laundry room and fixed it. Pots and pans they had to be thrown out. I had brought my own...good thing. I noted the amount to time that housekeeping spent cleaning the units while we were there...in and out. No wonder there was no attention to details. And yes, we had the same envelope for a tip for house keeping. They should have paid me instead.
So I know this review will be challenged...go ahead. At least I know I'm doing the right thing by warning others. Granted, this place might be great for younger folks who are interested only in a party on the beach. Or maybe for one or two nights. And if I can say anything positive, one of the other units seemed to have "fresher" furnishings and appeared a little more updated.
Oh one more thing. We travel with our dog. She is old and lazy and never barks. We were happy to see that there was a nice park across the street for her. Gulf Blvd is very dangerous to cross. Even with crosswalks and flags to wave so you don't get run over, I nearly did one afternoon....a motor cyclist got hit there during our stay...many conversations with others using the cross walk as to how many times they were nearly hit. Tip, cross with others and watch every car....Don't worry, I'm not blaming the management for this....it's just how it is there.
Wi-fi was in and out a lot....I believe they replaced the router when they put a padlock on the laundry room door.
If you choose to go, at least you know...you can't say I didn't warn you.....

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
2 Thank BuckeyeRover
MikeMadBch, Manager at Seahorse Cottages, responded to this review, April 14, 2011
Wow! Where do I even start??

First, I will address this guests concerns in the order they appear in her review. Additional cost for pets - there is an additional charge of $25 per stay (not per week as noted by guest) for pets. The reason for this fee is that we go into the cottage after the guest leaves with their pet and fumigate for parasites. I am not saying that this guest's pet has fleas or ticks, but, in an effort to prevent anyone from having parasite issues, we fumigate after every pet occupies a unit. The $25 charge only offsets the cost of the fumigation. Next, "old Florida" - please check out other's reviews that have mentioned how much they have enjoyed the places and their ambiance. Are they perfect? No way, far from it. And yes, I will say, "We are working on them". Not rhetoric, as stated by this guest, but a fact. We are taking one unit 'off-line' at a time this summer, to go through and make needed repairs/updates. The photos provided do show items that are in need of repair/replacement, and rest assured, they will be addressed. Next, laundry - this guest signed a rental agreement acknowledging that there was no maid service of any kind during her stay. Prior to signing the agreement would have been the time to address the maid service issue - NOT after staying there for 3 weeks. All this guest would have had to do was ask for fresh linens (as many other have before, and since her stay), and they would have been cheerfully provided. Were the linens taken off-site by the cleaners? YES, we have a laundry center with high-capacity washers & dryers at another location. This washer super-heats the water to sanitize the linens, as our guests would expect clean sheets & towels. The fact that this guest was allowed to use the machines on site was simply a courtesy. We had to lock up the room because someone told all the other guests about it and they basically ransacked our supply of linens.(I guess it's true, no good deed goes unpunished) The place was not filthy when this guest arrived. Quite the opposite, as I was there just before her arrival to check on it myself. It looked and smelled clean. The bed - this is our first complaint about the bedding. Lack of a heavy blanket - again, all that was needed was a phone call to have one delivered. Lack of heat - there is a space heater in the unit (as shown in photo), again, first complaint about the heat. All that would be needed was a request for another one and it would have been provided. The bathroom - it is need of a renovation, for sure. Is it clean? - you bet. The fact that there is not a big, fancy tub to soak in cannot be overcome, sorry. Furniture - is it brand new?, nope. Is it damp and sticky - NO WAY. New sofas have been ordered for all units and will be delivered shortly (they are cotton duck covered). Outside cleanup - this guest is correct. The fact that trash cans were full is improper and will be remedied immediately. Bulldoze these great little cottages? You've got to be kidding! I guess a sterile, cold condo is more appealing to some, but, I think you will find that some love a bit of character. By the way, we have brand new condos for rent, too. Maybe they would be better suited to this guest, except for the fact that they cost a lot more than the extremely low rate that was paid to stay RIGHT ON THE BEACH, during the peak season. There have been no electrical problems with the units since our having an electrician go through them to be sure they are safe. Again, this is something this guest should have made us aware of in a timely manner as we see this as a safety issue. Since this guest felt so moved to warn others, she should have let us know right away of this potential safety hazard that might endanger future guests. Since receiving this review we have had called an electrician to come out to check on the cottage. Smoke detectors have been replaced, too. The lamp, again, just a phone call would have remedied. Pots and pans - again, if there was a problem, we should have been made aware. We look at the cooking items between guest departures and arrivals and had not noted any issues with these particular items. We went over to check on them and found them to be in useable condition. Brand new? nope, but not trash. I suggest that this traveler find a chain-hotel or luxury condo for their next visit, as it appears to be more in line with her expectations. Wi-fi has been working flawlessly since this guest's departure. Weekly housekeeping is offered, at an additional charge.

In summary. I thank all of those who take the time to write a review - good or bad. My only hope is that our guests would let us know of the perceived shortcomings when they notice them, rather than wait a month and write a bad review under the protective veil of the internet. Obviously, this stay was some version of torture for this guest. My only wish was that she had requested a refund, which would have been granted immediately, and everyone would have been much happier upon her departure.

Travelers are raving about these Treasure Island hotels

Lakeland, Florida
Reviewed March 19, 2011

I wanted to stay one night on the beach before the kids went back to school.I always admired the cottages whenever we made day trips so I was happy to get a reservation but it was for the apts not the cottages.To be fair the people who had the cottages looked satisfied and I understand they were renovated.Thank Goodness I only had to traverse the stairs leading to the apt four times.They were so old and decrepit they bounced when you stepped on them.If I want thrills I'll go to Disney. My first impression upon entering the apt was damp, and when we opened the blinds I noticed the panelling was very dirty and dingy (did someone have a mustard fight?) I staggered around untill I noticed the refridgerator was at a tipping angle and I was happy I wasn't dizzy the floors were sooo uneven.The bed was filthy, someone slept in it. There was hair and dirt on the bedspread and between the sheets.There wasn't enough room in the car for us all to sleep so we just packed up and went home,Also next to the bed was a gratuity envelope to reward the cleaning people.Please!!! I was charged $150. for the night(which of course we didn't spend there)but $50.00 of that was for clean up charge!!!! I would have gladly paid the $50. if they cleaned up before we got there.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Marythebookkeeper
MikeMadBch, Manager at Seahorse Cottages, responded to this review, March 21, 2011
I'm am very disappointed to see a review like this. First I want to address the issue of the cost mentioned - This reviewer called on the day before her arrival, during the heaviest week of spring break, so, rates are at their highest. That is just an economic fact. Also, she was told that this was a 2nd floor apartment, not a beachfront cottage, although the rates are similar.

The stairs - I am a 250lb man, and have not had one problem with the stairs. As a matter of fact, I watched as 2 large men hauled a refrigerator up the stairs, with no problems whatsoever. So, they are structurally sound. Do the stairs look perfect? No they don't, as mentioned in previous reviews, this property is a work in progress and we have had to prioritize repair/cosmetic issues. The stairs work fine, just need some cosmetic attention = low priority.

As for the cleanliness - I will take exception with all statements noted by this reviewer. I personally inspected the unit prior to her visit. It was clean throughout, the bed was freshly made (no hair, etc). This is a classic case of overreaction and possible unrealistic expectations. This reviewer was told the unit was a 1 bedroom unit, with a full bed only, and elected to bring another adult (her mother) and 2 children. So, I think a part of her frustration stems from trying to find accommodations at the last minute, during the busiest week of the year, and trying to fit more people into the apartment than it could comfortably hold.

As a further note. The flooring is new throughout the apartment, the refrigerator is less than 1 year old, the bath towels and bed linens are all new. Are the floors a little uneven? You bet. The building is almost 80 years old, there's going to be some settling. Are they dangerous? No way!

Furthermore, we were not notified of her dissatisfaction until after she elected to leave. Had we known of her unhappiness, we would have gladly refunded her money.

Future travelers - please read all of the reviews. You will see that we are improving the cottages and our guests (almost all of them) really love the place.
Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed March 17, 2011

My husband and I were looking for a cottage on the beach to stay at for our 7th Anniversary. We found the Seahorse Cottages on Treasure Island online and had a smooth experience reserving our cabin with Cherie through phone and email. Our cabin (#2) was adorable and reminded me of cabins from my childhood. We stepped out our door onto sand, and the beach continued on and on until we hit the Gulf waters. We are Floridians, so it's pretty hard to impress us with just any beach. This was the largest beachfront I've seen on the west coast of Florida. The sunset was jaw dropping and spectacular. My only complaint is that we couldn't stay longer. Warning: if you are a high maintenance traveler, you may prefer a generic highrise or condo. If you want to experience historic Florida at one of the last remaining cottages on the beach, this is the place. We plan on going back in a few months with our kids.

1 Thank rockintheflock
Brandon, Florida
Reviewed March 1, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Seahorse Cottages this weekend and were spoooo happily pleased! We were looking for an affordable place to stay, right on the beach, and that would allow my small dog....and we found it! Rates were affordable, Cherie was so personal and accommidating, and the cleaning crew was thorough and effective. We are planning another stay at the end of April and I can't wait to go back! Thank you!

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed February 9, 2011

My wife and I (and son) spent a few days at the seahorse cottage and we really enjoyed our time. Yes it is small and rustic but you can't be the view and the management staff was extremely helpful and fast when it came to fixing any problems. One of the only things i didn't like was the couch. It was very small and old and could not comfortably fit our little family. If they add a nicer couch watching those sunsets would be so much more enjoyable. All in all GREAT PLACE TO STAY...AND WE ARE ALREADY PLANNING A FEW DAYS TO GO BACK! THANKS!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple