WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“Not up to par. Outdated methods of payment, needs a good cleaning and more legitimate approach” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sunset Beach House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Treasure Island
Sunset Beach House
St. Petersburg, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Shared this rental unit with another reviewer, but had a different perspective. Had an awesome experience at a location I've reviewed at Indian Shores, and maybe I'm used to dealing with hotels as I stay many, many nights in hotels. So when it comes to cleanliness, it needs to close for a week and a deep cleaning. My bedroom floor, corners, etc. hadn't seen a vacuum for a while. I wished I hadn't looked under the bed to see if I had forgotten anything. A glance behind the chest of drawers revealed the same thing.... As my grandma would say, "there was enough dust to build Adam." Additionally I had cold showers in the middle of the night when no one else was using the hot water; not sure what the cause of that was. Then comes what is supposed to be a fully stocked kitchen. Well it is, unless you actually cook; no mixing bowls, no measuring cups, spatula's etc. Sure there were frying pans and wine glasses, but I wasn't planning on bacon and wine. I even purchased a hand mixer because there was so little to work with. Then comes the issue of the stove. Now I cooked on all the burners and the owner said afterwards that there was a crack in the ceramic top of the stove so they kept the $300.00 deposit. Now my friend said he saw the crack upon arrival. I never noticed it. So either it was there before and so minor that I didn't notice and it definitely didn't impact use of the appliance. But there was certainly nothing major or damage on our part. I did request pictures of the damage but received no response. I encouraged the owner to re-visit the decision, to provide proof and/or return the deposit. It's just not right. Additionally, in today's day and age, there is no reason not to facilitate electronic payments. There was a fiasco over a mailed check. But even if you don't want to do credit cards, there's always Paypal. Now looking back, I'd opt for a much more legitimate rental. The house did have some cool décor, especially the living room, and it is right on the beach... but do you want the hassle and or something better. Also, before you sign a contract, insert terms for proof of damage and a form similar to a rental car that you mark all damage upon arrival so you aren't surprised afterwards and have no method of recourse.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
13 Thank Eureka1965

Solo
Business
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

Things went so well until AFTER the trip. The staff was friendly at first. But I should've known that the trip would go downhill based on how the caretaker fussed at my guests. I walked in the house on my arrival and found the stove cracked and never made a comment about it. Then, I spend hours cleaning the place and get an email a week later saying my deposit is forfeited. Prior to my check-in, they spent days upgrading the doors to code and the caretaker informs me the city wanted the place up to code. So I wondered why there was a crack in a major appliance. Then, she emails me saying everything was okay. Until the following weekend, she accuses my group of cracking the stove and I forfeit the deposit. So, i just want everyone to know. This caretaker (who will remain nameless here) will take your money and keep it and use it for upgrades. Find other homes on the beach to rent and skip this one. I won't be back. And neither will the hundreds of people I know as the word spreads.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank JonathanSoots
Orlando
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

We rented one of the smaller units which was perfect for my husband and myself. All the amenities we needed were there. Nothing beats parking your car right in front of your door, and the back door gives out to sand and ocean. Clean, peaceful, just great. We said goodbye to our dolphin friends but we will return!!!! Great for children of all ages too :)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Bilmar Beach Resort
#7 of 48 in Treasure Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,886 reviews
Plaza Beach Hotel - Beachfront Resort

Been to Sunset Beach House? Share your experiences!