“Not at all what we were expecting as far as other guests” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Westwinds Waterfront Resort

Westwinds Waterfront Resort
Ranked #8 of 48 Hotels in Treasure Island
Safety Harbor, Florida
“Not at all what we were expecting as far as other guests”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

My husband and I booked three days at Westwinds expecting a relaxing and peaceful time. Unfortunately, the resort rented several rooms to a large number of trashy adults who decided they would turn Friday-Sunday into their own spring break. The group took over the resort and pool area with excessive drinking, screaming and loud music from morning until 11pm each day. They made using any of the facilities impossible. We had difficulty watching TV in our condo without hearing them screaming. Parking was taken every night as I swear their group multiplied with "new" friends. They congregated outside of our room smoking and drinking each night. I was extremely disappointed in the fact that management was aware of the problem and did nothing to resolve it or try to make it right for guests like myself who wanted a nice stay on the beach without that type of guest. I feel like the $600 I paid was a joke as I could have spent $80/nt. and stayed in a ma and pa hotel for the same experience.

To give a fair assessment, the room we stayed in was nice and comfortable and had plenty of room. The king size bed was a bonus. I can't really comment on any of the other resort features since we never had a chance to use them.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank NoleGirl96
JimmyDean55, General Manager at Westwinds Waterfront Resort, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
I do apologize for not having an ideal stay here at Westwinds. As I said to you when you checked out that this has never happened here before and I sincerely apologize for your dissatisfaction.
Please understand that through the course of the night I exercised several times all of my powers as the GM, stopping short of calling the authorities feeling that this would have exacerbated the situation. From now on I will not hesitate to call the authorities. These folks were informed the next day that they would never be allowed back here at the resort. I am fully confident that this type of experience will NOT occur in the future.
We at Westwinds Waterfront Resort again offer our deepest apology to you and your family.
Jimmy Dean, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Golden, CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

I stayed here last week with several other friends. The inside of the condos have been completely renovated very well with stainless steal appliances, granite counter tops, crown molding, and quality furniture and decorations. They looked beautiful and I was pleasantly surprised. We stayed in a 2 bedroom, 2 bath, with a water view. Properties in this area tend to be pricey for what you get but I felt that Westwinds was worth it, given the size and renovations of the place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank GoldenHiker
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

Stayed here for two weeks in February/March this year. We booked a one-bed unit online based on the positive reviews on this site and were not disappointed. Very spacious, very clean and very well equipped.
While the exterior looks average from the road, the apartments have been refurbished recently and ours was furnished and equipped to a higher standard than expected for a holiday apartment (by European standards anyway). The kitchen had a proper full-sized fridge, hob, oven, microwave and dishwasher; we ended up doing a lot of cooking (even a bit of baking) and found we had every utensil we needed, from a large array of pots, pans and oven dishes, to a blender, to a cheese grater.
Only complaint would be that the bathroom was quite small and having a balcony would have made this place perfect!
The beach is just across the road and the garden area, which backs onto the bay, is well landscaped with deckchairs, tables and a couple of bbq units. We did not use the pool, but it looked well maintained, though a little small. Lots of wildlife around, we saw dolphins swimming by on several occasions, there were also herons and pelicans.
Overall, the location is good, there is a big supermarket close by and a couple of bars and restaurants too, but you really do need a car to get around and make the most of the area, the nearest ‘village’ area is John’s Pass, which is a good 30/40 minute’s walk north.
Management were helpful and friendly, particularly Dy. Overall we had a lovely relaxing holiday and would definitely consider returning.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

The staff went above and beyond to make sure our stay was everything we had hoped. The location offers something for everyone. Out back there are docks for fishing and places to relax and watch the dolphins play. It's approximately two miles from John's Pass where you can shop, deep sea fish, parasail etc. It is in walking distance from the grocery store, shops and great eateries. It was an absolutely wonderful vacation!

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank Autjamalways
JimmyDean55, General Manager at Westwinds Waterfront Resort, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
We at Westwinds are very happy that you had such a wonderful vacation and stay here on Treasure Island. We do strive to make everyones stay the best it can be and appreciate that you took time out of your busy schedule to to let us know just that! Thank You again.
Jimmy Dean, General Manager
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

Condo was clean and conveniently located near Publix. The property has clearly received some recent renovations.
I booked for one night online. When I arrived reception was a little unwelcoming, I was told that I should not have been able to book one night, information I did not need to know while checking-in. There was also an additional room cleaning fee added to the nightly rate, which I learned when I arrived. It was something that you may miss while booking the condo online, I missed it. The condo was good, but the bed was very uncomfortable.
I would rate my experience as average given that it was very expensive for what the condo had to offer.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sun774
I apologize if you felt awkward at the comments about your booking when you checked in. We here in the office try to immediately put our guests at ease with that laid back "Beach Attitude". I personally refer to it as de-stressing from the journey to get here. We were just kidding and I am sincerely sorry if it was not taken in the "spirit" that it was meant.
Jimmy Dean, General Manager.
maritimes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

Stayed here for a week in late March. I was very impressed with the cleaniness of the unit. Everything was immaculate. Jimmy Dean was friendly and helpful as were everyone I encountered that was an employee. Pool was wonderful, you could watch the dolphins swimming as you tanned...beach as always was beautiful. I though the location was great, not to far from dining or shopping. I walked daily and felt very safe. We stayed in Maderia Beach last year and payed much more for a condo that did not come anywhere near to the quality of this one... Very quiet property which suited us fine as we are early to bed and early to rise. I am hooked on Westwinds. I will return for sure....LOVED IT!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sunlover86
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

I guess I should have read more into the amenities rather than trust the numerous positive reviews. The ups were the large rooms, freshly renovated kitchen (we could smell the paint) and beautiful intercostal views.. Wine fridge was a nice touch, too:)
However, for the price we paid, we definitely did not get our money's worth. I never took note of the fact that they have no on site jacuzzi ( didn't feel like driving to the fancy off site club to relax) and the pool was teeny tiny. The unit was dark, and we would have had to check out a DVD player for my daughter to watch a movie. Also, the unit itself was very clean, with s few cute decorative touches, but some of the glasses were dirty...The area itself was a little seedy- on driving up the coast to Clearwater, I really should have looked into that area. Maybe the place is competitively priced in that area, but if that's all you get for your money there, I'd choose another area and skip the deceivingly named "treasure island"

• Stayed March 2013