“A good choice in Treasure Island”

Westwinds Waterfront Resort
Ranked #4 of 48 Hotels in Treasure Island
Reviewed July 27, 2012

We stayed at Westwinds for this past week, seven nights. We rented a one bedroom condo, Room 309, and we were very pleased with our choice. The room was immaculate and everything was in working condition and very high quality. The furniture was stylish, as were the dishes, appliances, etc, as good as anything you would buy for your own home. The bedroom and kitchen overlooked the intercoastal, a very lovely view. The managers provided initial supplies, two rolls of toilet paper, a roll of paper towels, two dishwasher tabs. There is a Publix, as well as 24-hour Walgreens, right up the block, walking distance, for any needed supplies. Great AC. It was very quiet, but the bed was a bit hard. The property had a nice pool, small, but super clean, nothing fancy, but a great view of the inter coastal. While on property, you have a guest pass for the Club at Treasure Island. We did not go there, but we did drive past it and it looked very nice. In the back of the property is a nice patio with tables and barbecues. We did not use them, but they were new and looked great. We saw many people using them. The docks were a nice place to watch the fish and birds. We saw dolphins only once, early in the morning and we did see one manatee swim by the first evening we got there. Other than that, lots of fish and birds. The property is across the street from the beach, a short walk. The beach itself was very deep, a long walk to the water, and very rocky and shelly, wear water shoes. On site parking was very convenient. They give you one spot. We had visitors one day and they were very nice about letting them park also. Many places to eat within walking distance. We ate at Ricky T's, Sloppy Joes, Sea Hags (a quick drive), Waffle House, and a number of ice cream places. Nothing was fabulous, but all good choices. A few things to note, not complaints at all, but things I would want to know: there is no maid service, the main office is only open until 6:00 p.m., after that no managers on site, the resort does not provide beach supplies or fishing poles as mentioned in previous reviews. They do have some of these items that were left behind by other guests that you can use, but they were either old, broken, or in poor condition, condo had basically all you need, but no salt and pepper in shakers. Also, the property sells their condos, so there is quite a bit of real estate sales and remodeling going on at any given time...none of which was a bother. We visited the Clearwater Marine Aquarium which was only about 20 minutes away, a little longer with traffic. We had also hoped to visit Anna Maria Island for an early morning turtle walk, but it was almost two hours away, even though the hotel initially told me 45 minutes. Overall, a very good choice, nicer than many of the places we walked by. I would stay there again. It would have been awesome if the rooms had balconies!

Room Tip: Room 309 had a very nice view.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank TarahDee

Reviewed July 17, 2012

My husband and I visit the St. Pete area annually to see a Rays game, and combine our time there with relaxing, eating, sunning and fishing. We haven’t been really happy with some of the hotel choices we have made over the past five years we have been visiting. I tried to make reservations again at another hotel that we liked, however, they were booked. So, I continued my tedious search for a comparable hotel in the area and came across Westwinds. I was amazed at the price and room size. We had a corner room which had views of the intercostal which we could see dolphins frolicking about. The photographs are usually better, but not in this case – our mouths dropped from how beautiful the room was. And, we loved the kitchen so that we can utilize a full size fridge to store food and beverages. Everything worked and was clean. There wasn’t daily room service which was fine because we felt safe with leaving our personal belongings out. Because it was right on the intercostal, my husband fished off of their docks. The only downfall is that it wasn’t right on the beach, however, it was just across the street and they had very safe crosswalks just a few steps down the road. July 4th was amazing–the fireworks on the beach– spectacular. This was a beautiful, clean, well taken care of resort. They do have condos for sale and my husband was dreaming that we could buy one. This resort truly made our vacation even more spectacular than we expected. With that said: Why Go Anywhere Else?

Room Tip: No daily room service (unless stay is five or more days) or restaurant. Any room with a view of the...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank skgrubbs7
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I stayed at Westwinds over the July 4th holiday and can’t recommend it highly enough! As a local resident who does not live on the beach, I like to play tourist in my own town and go on mini “staycations” whenever possible. I’ve stayed at numerous area hotels, and Westwinds is by far my favorite. We had a beautiful 3rd floor corner unit overlooking the pool area and Intracoastal Waterway. It had all the comforts of home: 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, a full kitchen, living room and even beautiful brand new bamboo floors. Thanks to Di for making sure our unit was immaculate and that we had everything we needed.

The property grounds are gorgeous and very well tended. There are brand new gas grills available for guests’ use on the patio and we saw several families enjoying a July 4th cookout. We enjoyed lounging by the pool during the day and walking across the street in the evening to see the sunset, listen to the bands and watch the fireworks. This part of Treasure Island always seems to have something going on, even if it’s not a holiday. Westwinds is within walking distance to everything you need: Publix, shops, numerous restaurants, and nightlife. We parked the car when we arrived and never took it out the entire time we were there.

I never wanted to leave, but alas the time came to go back to work and reality where I will daydream about my next staycation at Westwinds Waterfront Resort.

Oh, and by the way, thanks Jimmy Dean for putting in that request to have the dolphins swim by!

Room Tip: 3rd floor corner units have great views from 3 sides.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jackie S
Reviewed July 2, 2012

As others reviews said, this place is perfect! Super super clean, everything u need is there. We stayed here with our 4 kids (5, 7, 9, 11) and our 2 bedroom and 2 bathroom #304 was very large enough... Intracoastal in the back, beach in the front, just perfect!

Special thanks to Jimmy Dean for your great hospitality... and help!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Benkaralimat
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed at Westwinds for the first time. This place is first class. Jimmy Dean and staff are very friendly, accomadating and courteous. You get the best of both worlds, Beach access literally across the street and the intercoastal behind the condo. Saw 3 Dolphins one morning. Publix within walking distance. We stayed in a 2 bedroom with our 2 boys, lots of room, very comfotable. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Everett B
Reviewed May 19, 2012

This is my first time to St Pete beach (I live in Panama where I do my vacation rentals.. and usually travel the east coast of Florida) .. I booked 3 nights.. now I'm on my 2nd week! I am in the Vacation Rental business, over 25 years now, so I am usually the worst critic. The team here are so professional, happy and kind. All the units are being completely gutted and renovated with a lot of extras.. bamboo floors, stainless appliances, granite... upscale, but I think very affordable. (I was a "walk in".. and had seen many other places,.. this was by far the best value for money and quality) The view is to die for (intercoastal) and beach is right across the street. I can see both bodies of water from my bedroom. I mean, I have dolphins in my back yard! Publix is only a block away (5 min walk). I took back my rental car 3 days into the stay and have found it so easy to get around without a vehicle. I travel alone, but I have made new friends in the staff here, and lots of friendly locals at the nearby happy hours. I think I'll be extending my stay even longer! The shuttle is great, the "free beach ride" companies are awesome, easy and work for tips. Jimmy Dean, the GM here is the "go to guy" . Apparently he even painted the cute beach and turtle murals in my unit, while running this place, marketing, supervising, fixing, and making everyone laugh and feel comfortable.. .. he is the best! The supervisor is called Di Happe..how cute is that. She is just a doll ! The pool is perfectly maintained as well as the grounds. It's just a first class resort! A few of my favourite spots easy walkable.. Salty Rim (Boom Boom Shrimp and Carlos and Joe sing some great Santana songs), Middle House Grill (upscale restaurant and 1/2 price bottles of wine on Wednesdays!) , Sea Hags.., and did I mention Publix? I love this store! I live in Latin America, so we dont' have anything like this as far as grocery stores.. ., amazing! I wish I could stay forever...

Room Tip: They are all nice rooms. I personally prefer the intercoastal view. But.. the rooms on the Gulf of M...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank PanamaSarah
Reviewed April 27, 2012

We had never been to this part of Florida before. I booked a unit at Westwinds based on the reviews and photos. We were not disappointed. The staff was very friendly. We had a one bedbroom unit with a king sized bed. The unit was spacious, clean and updated inside. They don't have washers & dryers in the units but there are some on each floor at no extra charge. It was quite windy along the beach and we were glad Westwinds sits along the intra-coastal waterway where there was a milder breeze. We did enjoy sitting out and watching the dolphins give us quite a show - jumping out of the water a couple of times. There were plenty of umbrella covered tables with comfortable chairs. The swimming pool was very convenient to everything. We only had to walk about a minute to get to the supermarket. There were cross-walks everywhere up and down the main road so we could cross the street to get to the beach. The beach was very nice.
If you are considering staying here, you will receive a free pass to "The Club" nearby and their food is very good. There are also plenty of good places to eat in downtown St. Petersburg, along Beach Ave., and if you venture north on Gulf Blvd., you will find nice restaurants too.
We found a Columbia Restaurant way north on Gulf Blvd. in Sand Key and ate there twice.

Room Tip: Try to get a unit that faces the intra-coastal waterway and you can eat breakfast while watching the...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank traaveler9
JimmyDean55, General Manager at Westwinds Waterfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2012

I and my staff would sincerly like to thank you for sharing your thoughts about your stay here at Westwinds Waterfront Resort. We do strive each and every day to provide superior customer service, from the moment a guest arrives, to well after their departure. We are grateful to our family of guests where each and every one of you become a part of what we consider the Westwinds family. We wish to thank everyone who has ever stayed with us... Jimmy Dean, General Manager