“Not your ordinary hotel--more like an apartment”

Crystal Palms Beach Resort
Ranked #11 of 48 Hotels in Treasure Island
Spring Hill, Tennessee
“Not your ordinary hotel--more like an apartment”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We booked this hotel after seeing the positive reviews on Trip Advisor, and being familiar with the area (having stayed on Treasure Island a year ago). We stayed during Christmas, which is the first time for our family to have stayed at a hotel for Christmas (family is in the area). We really wanted something special, and it was.

It is not an ordinary hotel. Don't expect the usual pad of paper and pen with a logo on a nightstand. This is definitely more like apartment living. I was surprised how small the lobby is compared to most hotels, but it's clean and smells very nice. Our two-bedroom suite was very spacious and probably the same size or bigger than any apartment we have ever lived in. I loved the size of the kitchen and that it was a full kitchen--regular size appliances, all very new, and clean. There were many kitchen essentials supplied so that a person can prepare and serve food. They even had a small amounts of dish detergent for the sink and for the dishwasher. The washer/dryer is a stackable, so quite small, but it does the job. We brought our own laundry detergent for that.

I was very comfortable in the king-size bed, but my husband prefers very firm, and actually preferred the queen-size bed in the other bedroom, which was firmer and higher. Loved that there were two bathrooms! The living room is very nice. The couch is interesting because it appears that the sun discolored part of the couch, but other than that, it's really big and comfortable. On Christmas Eve my daughter and I used the extra blanket in the closet to cuddle up on the couch and watch Shrek 3. The windows in the living room are big so that they let in a wonderful view of the ocean across the street. There is easy beach access on 117th. The three televisions is also a nice treat, and especially that they all pull out and can be moved around. I also liked that there is a separate sink and mirror in the king-size bedroom, outside of the bathroom.

The service is the best. Anytime we had any issues, concerns, questions, or requests, the staff was happy to help and did it quickly. One of the cleaning ladies talked to us frequently, and even hugged me as we were leaving. She was so sweet--one day I noticed upon returning late that she had washed my dishes that I had left in the sink. She definitely went above and beyond.

As for a negative, I did notice that our shower had sand in the corners (before we had ever gone to the beach). It's a large shower and the water from the shower head does not reach far across to those corners, which would make it really hard to clean that out. They would be wise to install shower heads that can be moved and used to spray hard-to-reach areas. I don't think our linens were changed every day, but that is becoming a standard these days. I hate that all hotels are going that route. They like to say that it's because of the environment. I tend to think it's to keep costs down in a bad economy. I can't hold it against Crystal Palms since this seems to be the norm for all hotels now. They did make our beds every day and changed the trash/towels.

We had an issue with some crazy person deciding to do their laundry between 11:30-12:00 midnight on Christmas Eve. They obviously overloaded it and it bounced and made a lot of noise, as they kept stopping the machine and restarting it. That was super annoying. So the walls are a bit thin. Crystal Palms might want to put a note on their machines about what times laundry should NOT be done. In a traditional hotel the heating/cooling unit works constantly and makes a lot of white noise. You will not have that at Crystal Palms, because it is like an apartment. You can hear cars passing by outside, but most of the time noise wasn't a problem.

The best part about staying at Crystal Palms is the space. Because it was so big, it never felt cluttered and messy, like a traditional hotel does. I'm so glad we picked Crystal Palms for our Christmas vacation.

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean, so that's not an issue.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Billshell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
South Bend, Indiana, USA
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We have been coming here twice a year since this place opened and as expected it was another excellent stay. The property looks as good as it did new thanks to the great maintenance,upkeep and improvements by staff and management.The units are spacious, fully equipped and extremely comfortable. The pool & spa are always clean & refreshing and the dedicated parking help assure your stay will be stress free.The staff is very friendly and always ready to help make sure your stay is special. If you are planning to stay near Treasure Island, FL. this resort is a must to experience. We will be back soon.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tom1954_11
Reviewed December 5, 2012

the 2 bedroom suite is very spacious. both rooms had queen beds and a bathroom each. very nice and comfortable for family vacations. it had a living room, dining area and a fully equiped kitchen. lots of space to move around. stayed here with my cousins and booked two suites. 2 couples in each suite with kids. ended up hanging out in one for family game night and didnt feel cramped at all. the whole place is clean and well kept. the staff was awesome as well! the only drawback is the assigned parking which no one seems to know about except the staff at the desk. visible signs for guests to follow might help. all in all, id stay here again. p.s. not a beachfront but the walk was short and easy. just across the street.

Room Tip: choose the corner for bigger balcony space
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ati25_ph
WEST YORKSHIRE
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Across the road from the beautiful beach, the well appointed 1 bed unit we are in is very clean and comfortable. The staff are excellent and always willing to help. I would certainly recommend and return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JuliPWestYorkshire
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I have just returned from 10 nights here, the place was very clean, the staff were really helpful. Well equipped condo with everything you will need. Short walk to the beach. Publix supermarket down the road. The pool and jacuzzi were lovely. Allocated parking. Will definitely be returning next year.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the higher floors, the view of the Gulf is better
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed November 22, 2012

My Wife and 5 year old stayed here for 5 nights in early Oct. I have nothing but positive things to say about this hotel. Very clean, modern, safe and comfortable. The beach is a 5 min walk across the street and down a public beach walkway. There is a Publix a short drive away to stock up on groceries so you save money on eating out. If you do happen to want a nice night out, as we did on our last night you have to try Salt Rock Grill. It's a huge restaurant which has 3 fishing boats that go out daily to catch fresh fish for dinner. It is expensive, but for a special occasion just perfect. I booked through Hotels.com and ended up paying $82 a night. Guess it was the off season!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
tampa
Reviewed November 18, 2012

My family and I stayed here overnight in October and were very pleased with the hotel. We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite, and it was very clean, very accommodating. The pool was heated which was nice, and it's a short walk to the beach. My family, and the kids had a fantastic time, and we would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family