“A wonderful stay at the beach!”

Residence Inn by Marriott St. Petersburg Treasure Island
Ranked #6 of 48 Hotels in Treasure Island
Reviewed August 5, 2013

My family (husband and two young children, ages 4 & 7) stayed here from Jul. 31 through Aug. 4, 2013. The hotel was incredibly crowded, but the staff handled it so well. There was always someone there to help. Like others who have reviewed this hotel, we had issues with our key cards from the get-go. I stood outside our room with my kids and all of our luggage while my husband went to get new keys. We were only standing there for a minute, when a staff member who was passing by asked if he could help. He let us into our room so we didn't have to wait for my husband to get back.

Breakfast in the lobby was absolute mayhem, but that was solely due to the sheer number of guests at the hotel during our stay. There were more than enough staff members to keep the food and drinks replenished constantly. The only problem was the lack of seating. Schlepping breakfast back to our room with a 4 and a 7 year old wasn't an option. The first morning we were there, the staff opened up the conference room for us, since there were no tables. Only 1 of the 4 mornings we were there did we get to sit down at an actual table. I've done lots of traveling, and I'm pretty good with rolling with the punches, so this wouldn't have been an issue to me had I been traveling without kiddos along. With young kids and no tables to eat at is EXTREMELY difficult. That being said, the food was great, and the coffee was always fresh.

The hotel in general is very clean. The common areas -- even with such a huge number of guests -- were immaculate. Our room (#309) appeared to be recently updated with a nice huge shower, granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, and nice ceiling fans in both the living room and bedroom.

The pool area was nice; water was warm in the afternoon and refreshing in the morning. I wished there was more shade in the pool area, though. The hotel provides pool/beach towels, which I appreciated not having to pack them. My one complaint about this aspect of the hotel is the lack of beach service. The hotel does not provide chairs and umbrellas. The going rate for two chairs and an umbrella when we were there was $30/day, and that only covered up until 5pm.

The last night we were there, we walked to the Shake Shack at the end of the parking lot, and brought them back into the lobby. The staff offered my kids to sit at the bar and turned on some cartoons for them to enjoy while they ate their treats. They really went out of their way to engage with my kids and make them feel special.

All in all, it was a great trip! Not sure we would visit again, only because this visit was funded by Marriott points, and we could get more bang for our buck renting a condo next time, since we would more than likely be paying out of pocket.

Room Tip: I'm not sure there's a bad view in this place. We weren't very high up (only 3rd floor...
1  Thank MegBon
Write a ReviewReviews (1,070)

Reviewed August 4, 2013

This hotel was a wonderful surprise - I was very impressed with the staff, and after 5 days of observing, I concluded that the manager was what made the difference. The rooms were spacious with a well-equipped kitchen, and a magnificent balcony overlooking the beach and coastline. Everything was clean and fresh. Even the stairwells were clean and well-maintained. The staff was courteous and obviously aimed to please. The breakfast buffet was quite busy and crowded every morning, but the selection and quality of foods was greater than I expected. Wifi was free. Nice pool and jacuzzi. A small exercise room was sufficiently equipped. On several occasions I observed the general manager of the property interact with both staff and guests, and it was apparent that her skills as a manager really make the difference at this hotel. She obviously took pride in her job, her staff and her hotel and it shows in many ways. This is the way I would like to see all hotels managed. Very nicely done, and my highest recommendation for a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Higher floors on the southwest side have the nicest views
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Michael L
Reviewed August 1, 2013

My family and I had a wonderful stay at the Residence Inn. Our suite was fully stocked with everything we needed, even dish towels and dish soap! The room was immaculate, the beds were comfortable, and the view from the room and the balcony was beautiful! Having 3 young children, ages 8, 6 & 1, we spent a lot of time on the beach and in the pool. The pool was very clean and a nice size. The staff were all so nice and helpful. They even had a crib and a high chair in the room ready for us when we checked in. We would definitely recommend this hotel and will be returning again!

2  Thank michmatt25
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We stayed at this Residence Inn for 5 nights. We had a terrific experience. The hotel was filled up for 3 of the 5 nights that we were there. Even though the property was full it never seemed crowded and the property was never dirty and the public areas were always well put together. There were many families with children staying while we were there but breakfast, the pool and public areas were never noisy or overcrowded.

The property looks new and is very well kept. The rooms and hallways are very nicely decorated. The staff was always helpful, even the maintenance staff.

All in all a very pleasent stay!

1  Thank Jim P
Reviewed July 29, 2013

The purpose of this email is to compliment Erica Berlepsch, Residence Inn St. Petersburg, Treasure Island. I had read very favorable comments regarding Erica and the staff at this property. Erica and Jeffrey made us fell so welcomed and did everything to make our stay and celebration of our 36th wedding anniversary wonderful! Thank you Erica & Jeffrey!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HMMmmmmmmmmmmm
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Spent a nice weekend here right on the beach. Some rooms had full kitchens. The hot tub and pool was kept up nice. The rooms and grounds were clean. The elevators were very very slow faster to walk and we were on the 7th floor .Very pricey but right on the beach. Full breakfast free and very good

1  Thank RobertaQ766
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I am a pretty loyal Marriott user, but the past few stays at different locations have left me hesitant to try another. I was traveling up to TI from Naples, FL to meet up with a longtime friend and her family that were staying in Clearwater for a few days. We haven't seen each other in 13 years, so I had to make it up there. I didn't want to spend a small fortune for a beach room, resort fees, parking fees, breathing air fees etc (you get the idea). So I was happy to find a Marriott under $200 AND have it ON the beach!

My rate was a FL resident upgrade rate of like $161 a night. There is NO additional parking fees or resort fees here! Yay! On the downside, there is no real resort here (if that's your cup of tea...no beach service, restaurant, bar, or room service).

The room was a one bedroom (pics included) and it was VERY NICE. The paint seemed new, no dents or dings as mentioned in other reviews, kitchen had granite, all new appliances, cutlery, dishes.

The living room was BIG and had newer furniture. The sofa was a pleather type material and comfortable enough. I believe it was a pull out sofa, but we didn't need it. The bedroom is on the smaller side (just a king, 2 night stands and a dresser with a tv and small closet)...plenty of room for just sleeping though. the bedroom and living room each had a balcony overlooking the beach (room 801).

My 2 complaints like most others is the elevator. Blah, is that messed up! AND THE DOOR CARD KEYS!!!!! They never worked!!!!!!!!! What a pain in the butt that was. You had to keep trying the outside door to get into the pool lobby at least 10 times hoping it would work at some point. Most times we relied on fellow quests to let us in. Forget getting into your room. I was very far from the lobby, handicapped, with a 70 year old mother and we could never get in our room. If you tried the key at least 10x it may work. I called the front desk and asked them to bring me new keys. they were great about it and I have a feeling this happens by the minute there...so I got 3 new keys....never in a purse by electronics or credit cards and one worked 1 time and the other 2 didn't work at all. Luckily, my mom was staying in the room the night I came home late from being with my friends. Otherwise I'd still be in the under-building parking area trying to get into the little lobby to catch the 10 minute elevator to the 8th floor to a room I couldn't enter LOL.

Other than that the stay was perfect for what I needed. A great view, a comfy bed and near Clearwater. Just be sure to get the staff to bring you the key because waiting for the elevator and going all the way to front of the hotel, back up more stairs to the lobby front desk would be a pain every time it didn't work. Also, try the key over and over....sometimes they worked.

PROS: view, location, price, clean and updated rooms, pool but small, hot tub (didn't use), free parking (some under building some open spaces), NO resort fees to pay! some good restaurants around

CONS: not a resort, no room service, no spa, small pool, no restaurant on property or bar, keys and elevator were horrible.

I'd stay here again for a good price.

2  Thank fififarley