Book In Advance

More Info
from $325.00
More Info
2,373 results
All reviews dog beach east beach fishing pier kayak rentals beautiful beach spanish american war egmont key sand dollars pinellas county shore birds picnic area entry fee bird watching camp store the sunshine skyway bridge favorite beach white sand
Reviewed today via mobile

I visited Fort De Soto Park very late in October, so probably off season for vacationers and beach goers. Additionally the park was affected greatly by the red tide at that time, so not a lot of visitors overall.
That however was a plus for me as I was able to spend my time in solitary walks exploring the shores and inland trails, soaking in the unique beauty of it.
The park offers exciting options for various types of visitors as there is a historical fort there, camping grounds, nature trails, boating ramps and fishing piers and great lengths of beautiful beaches.

The park is also a part of the Great Florida Birding Trail and provides an opportunity to observe a wide variety of water fowl, waders, sea birds, raptors etc. It also is on the path of many migratory birds thus being of great interest to birders.

WORTH NOTING - the highway leading to the park has tolls. The last toll plaza is not always manned and accepts EXACT CHANGE ONLY. All locals are probably well aware of that but for those of you coming from outside of that area make sure you have some quarters ready (I didn’t and had to double back to get some change).

Totally worth visiting if you are in the area.

Reviewed 2 days ago

We spent the majority of our time at the fort and park due to the red tide issue, but, even so, we wished we could return to spend more time shelling and enjoying the water at this amazing park. Ample parking, interesting information about the fort and the Spanish-American war, great beaches, and easy-to-find amenities like snack bars, restrooms, and additional parking. You can rent a bike and ride around the end of this barrier island, too.

Reviewed 5 days ago

Handicap and kid friendly fishing piers with a lunch counter and bait shop.
Self guided tour of the 200 plus years of how Tampa Bay was protected.

Reviewed 6 days ago via mobile

This island is worth the visit. We were lucky it was very quiet.
The beach north of the island is splendid. Plenty of parking spaces at this time of year.

Reviewed 1 week ago

We visited this beach during halloween this year. My entire family had troubles breathing due to the red tide. Dead fish covered the beach.
Awful place to visit.

Reviewed 1 week ago

Lots to do and see. Beaches arewhite sand. You can walk or swim, they are places to eat. A great place for family.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Fort De Soto Batteries and Military Post is located within Fort De Soto County Park on Mullet Key. The park includes, in addition to the very old US Fort, beaches; two piers; many picnic areas, hiking and bicycling trails and the small port for a ferry to the outlying Egmont Key State park.
The Fort was built at the onset of the Spanish American War and was in use until 1910 as a seacoast defense. It never encountered any military action and was built mainly as a defensive military base.
Our self-tour was very; very interesting as four of the original eight huge 12 ton Mortar Guns are still present. Many of the large storage rooms are still available to view and have a large number of old black-and-white photo.
My son and I really enjoyed our time in the county park and especially the Fort De Soto Batteries and Military Post. Trust me you will not be disappointed with your visit.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Despite some say there is nothing to see here, I contest that. There are many activities for the whole familiy. Fishing, bike riding, kayaks, swimming, bar b cuing, photography etc. That said, in recent months the red tide issue still lurks. I went fishing and caught nothing, as a matter of fact, no one did for the 2 hours I was there. Not a single bite. Then when I was living I saw dead fish on the shore and realised that probably was the cause. Its a beautiful place but this puts a damper on things. I would even go in there not knowing what lurks in the water. The park is $5 to enter plus 2 tolls totaling $1.75 if coming from I 275. Hope next year it clears. Sad situation.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We have visited Fort De Soto Park and Beaches for over seven years now. We love it. If you love being outdoor, exploring, and fishing....then this is the place for you. The beaches of Fort De Soto Park rank among the top beaches in Florida. Love to fish, then head to one of the two piers. You can even see dolphins playing around the piers on some days. There is a fort to explore, rentals for kayaks or canoes, and a great dog beach! Your dog can run freely on the beach or enjoy the fenced in dog park area. The park has nature trails, picnic areas, and concessions. You can get a wonderful view of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge from the park as well. There is camping and a boat ramp for guests who want to stay there. It's amazing!

2  Thank DebbieBuchanan24
Reviewed October 2, 2018 via mobile

Great , concessions have a good variety of food and souvenirs.
The Fort ruins are interesting and informative.
We live nearby and come here often.
Kayak rentals are very reasonable.