“Old Florida Wilderness in the City”
Review of Canoe Escape

Canoe Escape
More attraction details
Owner description: The leading canoe outfitter on the Hillsborough River offers trips anywhere from two hours to all day long.
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I have done this trip probably 20 times, and every time I go I think I enjoy it more. Just minutes outside of Tampa, this leisurly paddle down the Hillsborough River takes you back to what Florida looked like hundreds of years ago surrounding you with cypress swamp, tree canopies and tons of wildlife. The folks that own the company couldn't be nicer and the guys that work for them follow suit. They do an excellent job of keeping the river cleared of downed trees so you rarely have to portage around one. We do the 9 mile trip which gives you a lunch/bathroom stop at a county park halfway. This trip, we counted 75 alligators with the largest right at 10 feet. It is a totally fun, relaxing and safe way to escape the city and enjoy a slice of real Florida outdoors for less than a casual dinner out. I highly recommend this experience!

1  Thank Steve C

Reviewed November 21, 2013

What an incredible experience. This is an opportunity to get close to the gators. I never thought you could get this close. This is a true outdoor nature experience. James put us in the canoes and set us off. We were out in the remote all by ourselves. I had no idea that you could have an experience like this. Great company and a great value.

1  Thank Shane293
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

My 11 year old son and I did trip 1 and it was outstanding. We saw 40-50 alligator, 100+ turtles, and multiple species of birds. We really had a great canoe trip.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

The staff were friendly, river beautiful and great value! We went as an office outing to celebrate the end of busy season and had a great time. We will return!

Reviewed September 21, 2013

We travelled from Scotland to Florida for my girlfriend's 21st birthday. We'd had this trip recommended to us by a friend, and I'm so glad we went on it.

I'm a very outdoors person (rock climbing/mountain biking/etc), so had no qualms about getting in a canoe.

Our guide was terrific. We'd paid for a private tour and it wasn't cheap, but it was well worth it. He was relaxed, knowledgeable, and went at our pace. He was on hand to answer any questions we had.

I'm used to being up close with wildlife, but not Floridian wildlife - so it was really cool to be in amongst so many interesting creatures and animals.

Before writing this I looked at the two negative reviews that have been written. One of them comments on being 'too' close to wildlife, and the gators in particular. What a joke. It's made perfectly clear on Canoe Escape's website that you'll be venturing out and coming very close to some of the animals which inhabit the river, so to go ahead and book on the trip and then complain about being 'too close to the gators' is ridiculous.

If you're in the Tampa area, are interested in nature, and love the outdoors, then I'd highly recommend you book off a few hours and plan a trip with Canoe Escape.

OTHER POINTS: Rather embarrassingly as an outdoors person, I was completely unprepared in terms of provisions. Make sure you take plenty of water with you. I didn't and regretted it. And - depending on the weather - sunscreen, waterproofs, mosquito repellent, a hat, sunglasses, etc.

Make sure you take your camera.