“My happy place”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Canoe Escape

Canoe Escape
More attraction details
Owner description: The leading canoe outfitter on the Hillsborough River offers trips anywhere from two hours to all day long.
Tampa, Florida
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My happy place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

Thanks to wonderful staff at Canoe Escape, my family, friends and I have enjoyed dozens of trips on the Hillsborough. Each trip has its rewards and each is slightly different depending on the season, the weather...the wildlife. I take binoculars to see up close, but because there are so many large birds (egrets, herons, roseate spoonbills, anhingha) it's easy to be amazed. I love the river because it is so close to Tampa, but once we launch, I always feel far away from the city. It's a great outdoor adventure for young and old. I appreciate the friendly people who make sure everything is comfortable.

Visited August 2013

Williams, IN
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Want to see an alligator up close in their natural environment?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

This was an awesome trip. We canoed down the very peaceful river. Saw the wonderful wildlife, alligators, turtles, birds, and snakes (ooo, big spiders too). Stopped for a picnic (restroom at the stopping place). Back on the river for another round and had a fun time with our family! The staff are very friendly and gave us good tips for the trip. Picked us up at the end of the tour for a ride back to our car and even carried the boats for us. Could have spent even more time, but afraid of an upcoming storm so we kept a good pace. Will do this again! Why pay for an airboat ride when you can enjoy the beautiful quiet river?

Oxfordshire
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Best thing to do in Tampa area?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

Don't miss Canoe Escape! I had been to Canoe Escape many times, but that was 20 years ago. I came back this year with my teenage son and we were not disappointed. We had a great time. Exciting and peaceful at the same time! The river is just beautiful and in late May it was alive with bird life (egrets, herons, even a spoonbill), a few turtles (not as many as I remember from years ago) and many small alligators. The 2-hour run starting from the canoe rental office goes through a mixture of shady and open water, and is easy paddling. Try to go on a weekday morning when the river is really quiet, as it gets busy at weekends and it is less peaceful.

Visited May 2013
Denver, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great river coupled with amazing staff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

My family and I went to canoe escape this past weekend and had an amazing time! The river is absolutely beautiful! If you are new to paddling or maybe it has just been awhile, listen to the paddling tips. The guy who helped us was Hunter. He was very young but very knowledgable, he gave great paddling tips, which helped make our trip very easy. While on the river you'll see many turtles, alligators, and birds that are very photogenic. There were a few challenges with some logs but they were very minute interruptions to the beautiful Hillsborough river. At the end of our trip we pulled our boats up and waited for the bus a few minutes to come pick us up. Our driver was Mike and he had Hunter with him. Mike and Hunter were quiet the dynamic duo on the way back to our car. They answered all our wildlife questions and even gave us some fun facts about the wildlife. If i was the owner, i'd think about making one of them the manager if there isn't one already. Overall this was an amazing trip with amazing staff and would definitely do it again! Tip the guys for their great hospitality and service!

p.s. if you get a chance, have a chat with the man with glasses inside, he's very nice and loves to joke.

1 Thank kenny g
burke, va
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great Time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

We chose to go with the company because of all the great reviews on trip advisor. Was not disappointed. Since this is July and it rains a lot, the river was higher so no having to slog the kayak and canoe overland. Our friends got a canoe and we a kayak. It was peaceful, even with the dull hum of traffic in the distance in places. A great amount of alligators, about 25 and other birds and turtles. Loved that! They aren't really afraid of you so there is picture taking opportunities with out feeling like you are in danger. They are still wildlife so don't do stupid things. The lushness of the cypress trees and haunted feeling looking deep into the swamp was cool. Wished we could have explored more in that. The staff was helpful before our trip and after we got picked up, they answered any questions we had. I would go again on another leg of the river.

1 Thank artgirl45