“Nature and Trees”

Hillsborough River State Park
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience the Florida wilderness just outside of Tampa.
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I love to be out in nature and this park is IT ! Lots of trails and trees and water. There are picnic tables , pavillions restrooms and playgrounds.It is a camping park and we did not camp, but the camp sites looked shady and welcoming.There is a HUGE pool that is open when weather permits. People were fishing the river, but we didn't get to see any fish caught, though they said they usually get fish.There is a charge per car to get in the park ( $6-$7--I think , it was )

Reviewed March 14, 2013

My wife and I took our granddaughter and great niece here and we loved it. The area is beautiful, the park is welcoming with pavilions for gatherings, plenty of picnic tables and grills, playgrounds, a small store, and trails that let you enjoy nature and the beauty of the Hillsborough River. One trail provides a great view of the rapids and another takes you across a suspension bridge. Plan to bring along the food and enjoy the entire day with a small or large group. There are spots for campers from tents to RV's and you can reserve the pavilions for large family or group gatherings.They have a large pool which will open when the weather permits. This is a must see spot in the area and for $6.00 per car it is a bargain.

1  Thank Phil G
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I recently camped for 2 nights here. I last went about 3 years ago. This park has changed a lot. The management is extremely overbearing. There is a volunteer who is everywhere, trying to find the tiniest "infractions" on everyone. They have reduced the size of the campsites, putting up fences and large log barriers, to prevent people from pitching their tents deeper into the campsite for privacy and noise control. So you feel like you are on top of each other. They have raised prices dramatically as well, charging $7 for a tiny bundle of wood that might last 3 hours. I spent over $40 just on wood. Ridiculous. This is a beautiful park that is being ruined by overzealous staff that make you feel like you are encroaching on their "nature". I will come back for a day hike or kayak trip, but I will no longer camp here.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

There were nice facilities here with picnic tables, grills and bathrooms. The best part was the hiking! A lot of nice trails through natural areas. Lots of Cypress knees, river crossings, and natural surroundings. Great Florida scenery! Just watch for poison ivy.

1  Thank jujujudy
Reviewed March 5, 2013

My fiance and I love hiking here. We bring the dogs and pack a lunch. It's gorgeous. Best park in Tampa Bay!