“Take your insect repellant”

Hillsborough River State Park
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience the Florida wilderness just outside of Tampa.
Reviewed October 24, 2012

This park has lots of great trails to walk. There are bikes available to rent, and a large swimming pool. We were there in October, while we were there they were setting up for their Haunted Trails, it looked like it would be a great activity to do with children. The Halloween decorations were fun to look at in the daytime, I can only imagine how much fun kids would have in the evening.

1  Thank Dorothy B
"camping trip"
"great camping"
"dry season"
in 3 reviews
"plenty of picnic tables"
"playground area"
"spanish moss"

Reviewed October 15, 2012

This is not so much about the general park or campground but about their safety and security. Nothing else like this has ever happened to me camping but if it does you hope the rangers would make you feel safe!
We were awoken by 2 drunk women at 3 am screaming and running through our site hitting our vehicles. We all woke up and told them to stop while they threatened us and we tried to figure out what the *^&$ was going on and they women claimed we were in their site. (Wouldn't any normal person call the ranger not wake up the whole park and confront the people???). They were like get out right now or we will call the ranger so we were like ok WE WILL CALL THE RANGER FOR YOU. So we grabbed the number for after hours and explained the situation. While we were waiting the women continued to yell and curse and I questioned why they didn't call the ranger before waking us up and causing damage to our vehicles and they were just like shut up *&%&^....clearly mentally unstable or under the influence. They suddenly told us they were leaving because they realized their site was 113 not 13 as if everything was ok. We took a picture of their plate as they drove off and waited. The ranger got to them first and they were like oh nothing happened we politely asked them to leave and realized it was a mistake, totally denied all the inappropriate behavior. Ss when he got to us he was like oh haha how funny. We angrily explained what happened and he was like hm I don't know who to believe. Really?!?! Ok here are all the hand prints and marks they left on my truck, EVERYONE nearby woke up and heard it but he refused to ask anyone else. I asked they be removed from the park which he wouldn't do. All he said was he would follow up in the morning. He did and it was just a 30 minute argument with him about why he refused to remove them or enforce park rules. He just said not to let it ruin our trip because everything seemed fine now. We felt like we could just go retaliate and he wouldn't do anything anyway. We didn't because we are normal rational people but it did not make me feel very safe the next night and I barley slept the whole trip. I'm assuming he was too uncomfortable to confront them but that is his job. Next time we will call law enforcement because it seemed like the ranger's only authority was to be able to drive the park truck.

1  Thank FLcmpr
Reviewed October 6, 2012

This place is good for bike riding or for just a little walk, many geocaches in the area. Bathrooms are clean but only one location to see the river.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I enjoyed this park. Plenty of nature. I like the river and the wildlife around it. I will be going back.

See more reviews
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Love the campsites (we have special ones picked out for each of our stays). Though it rained over the holiday weekend, we happened to pick a site that the water flowed through and out of quickly and dried up fast too. Many were under water the entire weekend and we were sorry for them for that. The nice clean pool was very refreshing on those hot summer days. Always love a fire pit and our campfires are always lit the entire stay...breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert! We were smart and brought our mosquito sprays...went through a lot of it, but still enjoyed our stay.