“Could be better”

Hilton Garden Inn Tampa North
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Temple Terrace
Reviewed July 4, 2014

I stay at this hotel 3-4 times a month. The hotel itself is okay, althought the rooms could use some serious updating. All of the rooms are very dark - just not enought lights in the rooms. I rarely stay when there isn't some sort of a problem. While the staff is very friendly and accomodating to try to resolve the problem(s), the problems should not exist in the first place. Pool is very dirty (I was told it is very hard to keep a pool clean in Tampa, although I know from stays at other hotels that this is bull) and the A/C units sound like a jet taking off (unless you're in a suite or one of the rooms in which they have updated the A/C unit). Decent breakfast and restaurant.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Gregory K

Reviewed July 2, 2014

I adored the decore of this Hilton Garden Inn. It was so homey.. with nice seating, furnishings, lighting, bar/restaurant. Comfy outdoor seating area for a glass of wine.
Staff was excellent, polite, service excellent. Room perfect with GREAT coffee.
LOVED the bedspread and sheets, pillows.
Just a gem!

Room Tip: We were facing toward I-75 I believe but all we could see was green space and woods.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cath34243
Reviewed June 29, 2014

I've stayed here a couple of times before, so was familiar with the hotel. Check in was easy, the staff was pleasant and friendly. The lobby has been redecorated since I was last there (Had been a couple of years), and I like the new decor! The cookies served in the evening were really yummy, especially when they're warm.

Had dinner in the cafe both nights we were there, and breakfast once, the food was tasty, if slightly overpriced, but the staff was great! Very friendly and attentive without being pushy, they allowed us to just relax and enjoy our meals and conversation and unwind.

Our room was clean, bed was very comfortable, as always, and the room was nice and quiet. I love having a Keurig coffee maker in the room, the k-cups are much nicer than standard hotel coffee!

There were a couple of issues that make me think that the hotel is starting to show it's age a bit. The A/C in the hallways on the higher floors wasn't working, so it was really hot when you got out of the elevator, but the in room A/C was nicely cold. (There was a notice at the front desk informing guests of the problem.) The hot tub, was more of a warm tub, but every time we've been to this hotel the spa has either not been working, or just not very hot, so this was almost expected...

The most annoying thing was an issue with the shuttle service. We chose this hotel from the many others in the area for it's shuttle service to Busch Gardens. When we arrived we were told that it runs "On the hour and the last one leaves at 9pm". I confirmed this before we took the shuttle in for the day, as well as that if we needed to change our time back, that I could call and do so. After an afternoon in the heat, we decided to come back a bit early, so I called the hotel and asked if they knew the approximate time that the next shuttle would be arriving at the park. (This was approx 4:45, figuring on catching the shuttle that left the hotel at 5pm) I was told that the next one wasn't until 6pm. When I questioned the person on the phone, I was told that the shuttle runs every hour, except 5pm due to traffic. If that was the case, why weren't we told "Every hour except for 5pm" when we first inquired about it? I could understand it if it were a weekday, but this was Saturday. We ended up catching a cab back, and the traffic was not bad. (Took us a whole 12 minutes and that was catching red lights as well.) When we got back, the shuttle was sitting there, and the person at the desk really didn't want to make eye contact when I asked to be removed from the schedule for the later pick up. I just think it was a moment of pure staff laziness, and very surprising for a Hilton hotel.

Aside from that the stay was pretty good. I can't say enough about how pleasant the staff was. I might stay there again, but with there being another Hilton hotel a short distance away, I might not.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank gpisces
Reviewed June 27, 2014

Every staff member that we came across was genuinely kind. From the front desk agents to the housekeeping ladies to the restaurant bar/servers. I will definitely return to this hotel next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 26, 2014

Really are no words... it was great!
Hotel staff super friendly and hotel itself was very clean and well maintained.
Only issue was the AC not working in the hallway on the 5th floor but, it did not impact the temperature in our room. Very close to MOSI which my children loved. My kids also loved the pool and warm cookies in the lobby! Would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: We enjoyed the view of our room on the back of the hotel. We overlooked what appeared to be a natur...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 24, 2014

My stay here was only for two nights, but I noticed that the facility was very clean and the room was immaculate and had everything I needed. The housekeeping staff were all very friendly and did a great job. My only complaint was that the bed was a little hard for me and the adjustable softness mechanism didn't seem to work correctly.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Great staff, great breakfast buffet, clean rooms, great value! The made to order omelet was very good. The location is convenient to many areas, including Busch Gardens. Will stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites New Tampa I-75 Bruce B. Downs
Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa-USF/Near Busch Gardens
4 mi away
La Quinta Inn & Suites Tampa North I-75

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Tampa North? Share your experiences!