“Don't eat dinner at this hotel”

Hilton Garden Inn Tampa North
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Temple Terrace
Reviewed February 26, 2013

The bed at this hotel was surprisingly comfortable. Too bad my whole stay was ruined by a horrible room service dinner. Followed by the general manager ignoring my request to remove the dinner charge from my bill. Really, why would anyone expect to pay for a meal they can't eat?

Stay away!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank leslieb534
Sarah B, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Tampa North, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. As you may recall in my email earlier yesterday and the email I sent the day you checked out, the restaurant had already adjusted off the charge for the shrimp that was not prepared correctly, so I took an additional amount off your charges. We work very hard to meet all of our guests needs each and every time, but unfortunately sometimes we fall short, in those situations we want to offer a resolution that the guest is happy with, and in most cases what the guest specifically requests is normally the best answer, so when you asked for a credit for the shrimp I felt that that credit plus an additional amount, plus my very sincere apology would be a good resolution. Unfortunately this was not the case. As I asked in my email to you, please contact me at your earliest conveyance so that we can come to a resolution that you are happy with.
Our restaurant normally gets rave reviews from our guests and we are very sorry this was not your experience, rest assured this is not the norm for our property and we want to do everything within our power to make this right for you.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

This was a good hotel to stay in. We were disappointed that there was no free breakfast for our family. The rooms were nice and clean, we stayed in a room with a separate bedroom and pull out couch and desk/table area which made it more comfortable for a family of 5.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Sarah B, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Tampa North, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

We appreciate your taking the time to write a review of your stay with us! I’m glad you enjoyed your stay in one of our spacious suites, with 7 room types to choose from, the chances are pretty good that we can provide a room that works great for any family! Because we offer a hot, made to order breakfast, Hilton Garden Inns do not offer a free breakfast, however at $9.95 for adults and $5.95 for kids, a lot of our guests find this to be a great value. Also keep in mind we offer bed and breakfast packages, with breakfast built into the price of the room!
We hope you will keep us in mind next time you visit sunny Florida!

Reviewed February 21, 2013

by far the best hotel in temple Terrace. my daughter goes to USF so I've stayed at all the others, and my search stops here. quiet location, nice pool, nice breakfast, nice staff. USF rates include free breakfast. adorable raccoon cruising around the grounds.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

We are HUGE USF Bulls fans and we work hard to make sure our USF friends and family guests have a great stay! I’m glad you had a good experience with us, and we are thrilled to be your home away from home while in Tampa. I never thought I would see our raccoon in a review, I will be sure to let him know he is making a good impression! Thank you again and we will see you soon!

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Spent two nights at the Hilton Garden Inn in Tampa, Temple Terrace as a get away weekend just me and my husband. We visited Ybor city, downtown Tampa and Bush Gardens. The hotel is a bit away from the normal congestion of traffic, but at the same time close to all attractions. We got there at 2 pm and we were promptly taken care of and given the room immediately. We stayed in the 5th fl. King size bied. The room was clean and quiet. They have a small fridge and a microwave. We did not have breakfast at the hotel since we are not big eaters and it was $10 for the buffet, but it was pretty full and the food look good. I would definetely stay there again in my next trip to Tampa. The only inconvenience I found is that they don't have a safe in the room, however, they offer one free of charge in the front desk.

Room Tip: I would stay on the top floors, less noise.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sarah B, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Tampa North, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! We are all very happy you had a great stay with us and enjoyed touring Tampa! Please keep us in mind the next time you are in town, we would love to have you as our guest again!

Saraj Schmidt

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We booked a king suite with a sofa bed for our 2 nite stay. I arrived about 3pm to be rudely told that " we don't do check ins before 4" meanwhile they were checking in the couple in front of me and handing them bottled water. When we did check in after Busch Gardens I was disappointed by our room, and not just the trash we found by the previous guest that housekeeping seemed to forget. When they cleaned our room they did an equally lax job. Our suite wasn't anything spectacular. The sofa bed was horrible, the mattress was even thinner than their flat pillows. When I requested a rollaway bed i was told she would check with housekeeping. when i didn't hear back i went down to the desk and was told i wasn't allowed to have one because we had a sofa bed. Even as a couch it was awful to sit on & tiny. The coffee pot didn't work, the button was broken and when I requested an extra towel it took 2 phone calls and over an hour to get them. The area is nice by Tampa's standards and its not far from the theme park but that's about the best part of the hotel. The pool is tiny and located next to a swamp. I can't wait to check out tomorrow morning and never look back.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

I am very sorry you had an unpleasant stay with us. Our goal is for all of our guests to have a clean, comfortable stay while staying with us here in Tampa. I would love to speak with you about this one on one so that I can get some more information from you, such as your arrival date, room number etc so that I directly address the team members you encountered. Our check in time is at 3pm, however, if you were in a suite, we only have a limited number and it may not have been ready yet, but that should have been explained to you. We are also prohibited from putting roll away beds in certain room types as there is no clear area to place the bed and it becomes a fire hazard, but that should have been explained to you as well. Our team is normally exceptional in their customer service, but it is evident in this case that we fell short.
Again, I am extremely sorry for your experience at our hotel, and I would love the opportunity to speak with you about this so that we can make this right, please contact me at your earliest convenience.
Thank you!

Reviewed February 16, 2013

This was the second night of a four night trip to Tampa in February. Compared with the nightmare property the night before this was a definite step up. Location of the hotel is excellent and very easy to find. We got there a little early but the front desk made sure they found us a room. It was on the second floor overlooking the pool and the conservation area. Check in was extremely efficient. Room was very comfortable and the staff was very friendly. We were there only one night since we had some business at USF. This was one of the few Garden Inn's I've stayed at that had a bar, which was still open when we returned around 10pm. It looked lively even on a Wednesday night. The only negative comment I had was about breakfast. The food was excellent (my wife and I both had omelets) but the service was terrible. We were there about 930 and the staff started breaking down the breakfast setup well before breakast ended at 1000 Our server filled my coffee cup once and never appeared again. I got someone else to get me a refill. I was tempted to leave no tip at all, since apart from the one cup of coffee, that's all I got. I had to find my own water at the buffet and everything else for that matter. The cook was very good, she kept everything hot and prepared a great omelet, too bad the wait staff let me down. I'll probably stay there again if I'm in the area but not sure where I will eat breakfast.

Room Tip: The side overlooking the conservation area and pool is very pleasant.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you very much for your review of your stay with us. I am very glad you were pleased with the hotel, but I am sorry we failed to meet your expectations at breakfast. I have shared your review with our servers and we will use this as a training tool to improve our service. We sincerely hope you get the chance to stay with us again and to give us the opportunity to show you why our restaurant normally gets very high guest ratings.
Thank you again and we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. Check in /check out process was very fast. Hotel is in a FANTASTIC location. Room was quiet and very comfortable. The furniture and rooms are a little out of date compared to the rest of the brand hotels, maybe it will be upgraded soon. However, great location and comfort. Fantastic price!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

We are all very glad you had a great stay with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn Tampa North! We are going to be making some great hotel upgrades in the coming year, and hope you will come back to visit to see our improvements!
Thank you again for your feedback!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Temple Terrace
Fairfield Inn & Suites Tampa North
4 mi away
La Quinta Inn & Suites Tampa North I-75
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Tampa North? Share your experiences!