“Good Customer Care; small irritations/inconveniences” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Garden Inn Tampa North

Hilton Garden Inn Tampa North
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Temple Terrace
Winter Garden, FL
“Good Customer Care; small irritations/inconveniences”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Check in and bar staff were very helpful and friendly. Hotel was generally clean, but dated. Rooms were the same. Air conditioners/heating units in our room either made rooms too hot or too cold....and stinky air came out of heating unit in suite so we just turned it off and dealt with stale air. Beds were comfy and clean, though. Bath in suite was a handicapped "roll in" type shower I guess(?) but tiles were grimy looking so we didn't use it. Only stayed one night so not a huge invonvenience. Went down to bar and bartender was very helpful and friendly. We asked for a bottle of wine to take back to our room and she helped us select one, opened it and gave us two wine glasses. Wine was good and reasonably priced.

Room Tip: 1 bedroom suites are kind of narrow and dark.... I'd opt for a larger standard type room.
    • 5 of 5 stars
Sarah B, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Tampa North, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Karen,
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with the Hilton Garden Inn Tampa North! We love getting feedback as it helps us improve our services!
I am extremely sorry about the issue you had with the heater in your room. When the heat has not been run for a while (we have been blessed with some great warm weather this January!) it can make a slight burning smell when turned on for the first time and lasts for just a few minutes. I am very sorry you had this experience. Additionally, the tiles in our assessable rooms with roll-in showers have been treated to prevent our guests from slipping on them, which gives them a slight cloudy look, but rest assured they are cleaned daily and steam cleaned and re-sealed bi-weekly.
I am very glad you had some great interaction with our team here, I have shared your kind words with them as well.
Thank you again for your sincere comments, we look forward to having you as our guest again in the near future!

Sarah Schmidt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Hungarian first
Little Rock, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Stayed at this property while visiting my son. They rolled out the red carpet for us. The staff was unbelievably friendly and helpful. The location is very near USF and Busch Gardens and has easy access to I75 and I4. We wanted to rent a movie and they offered us a free rental (I do have diamond status so this helps).

The breakfast is fairly good but didn't ever have lunch or dinner.

I will stay at this property again and again.

• 5 of 5 stars
We very much appreciate your review of your recent stay at our hotel! We want all of our guests to have a first class experience while staying with us and to feel like we have “rolled out the red carpet
for them, and we are all very happy that this was your experience.
We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Tampa and will be sure to provide you with another great experience!

Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband and I have been traveling back and forth for 2 years from Tallahassee, Florida to Tampa, Florida to Moffitt Cancer Center. We love staying at the Hilton Garden Inn Tampa North. It is in a perfect location. It is close to Moffitt Cancer Center and Busch Gardens. Also, we always get great service and the staff is wonderful! They are professional, friendly and caring. We have formed special friendships with Sara Bates, the General Manager, Katie, Ann, Tarah and Tracy, who go above and beyond to make us feel welcomed. What we really love about these ladies is their positive, up beat attitudes and they are so much fun!

Room Tip: We have liked all of the rooms we have stayed in. What is so great for Moffitt patients is that t...
1 Thank Harriet T
We cannot thank you enough for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. I can safely speak for the entire team when I say we enjoyed having you here as much as you enjoyed staying here. We all very much enjoyed our chats with you, and taking you both to see all the neat things Tampa has to offer. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Tampa, we can swap notes about Ikea!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Treated like family. Great staff smiling and seeing I was relaxed and happy. Woud recommend to anyone wanting a great friendly quiet environment. Fast service. Food excellent. Felt safe there. Near USF and Busch Gardens and inter state.

• Stayed January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
Sarah B, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Tampa North, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words! Our team works extremely hard to ensure each and every one of our guests has an outstanding stay with us, and we are all very pleased that this was your experience. We hope you get the chance to stay with us again next time you are in Tampa!
Thank you again!

Palm Coast, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I echo "John G.'s" review, along with others who seem to indicate the same issues...unlike the other surprising "5 star reviews". Have not only stayed at other Hilton Garden Inns before, with absolutely NO issues and on the contrary, always exceptional...but have also stayed at this hotel itself in the distant. However, seems the hotel has really taken a downturn since our last stay. Chose this hotel over others with lower rates, because I know the normally quality stay in a Hilton property. Unfortunately for me, however, this did not turn out to be the case this time. Started out with an issue from moment of check-in. Despite a quite empty hotel (seemed as though they had quite a bit of vacancy available), we were given a room that the moment we walked in, had CLEARLY been a very "smoking friendly" room, to say the least. The smell was absolutely horrible and "hit you in the face" the moment you walked into the room. The hallway outside was no better...had a smell that we could only describe as a "dirty diaper". Besides the smell, we immediately noticed the bedspread had several clear and mysterious "stains" on it. We immediately went back to the front desk and were given another room, however to our disappointment, not so much as even an apology for the other room or inconvenience was given. We then got to the second room, which didn't smell nearly as bad as the first, however still was not up to the standards of what we know Hilton to have. At this point we needed to get ourselves going to Busch Gardens, which was what our trip was for. However, upon our return in the evening, just moments after returning, we used the bathroom to wash up for bed, only to attempt to wipe our faces with dirty towels. One towel had several hairs in it, and two others clearly had been used to wipe mouths from toothpaste, as it was clearly left on the towel. Needless to say, this was quite disgusting. We then pulled the bedding back, and that too appeared as though it had not been changed from the previous guests. To add even more, we then went to retrieve our waters out of the refrigerator, only to find that the refrigerator was not even working. It was simply one situation after another since arrival. At this point it was late and we were quite tired. I called down and explained the situation with the refrigerator in particular and we were told they would "get someone on it right away". A short time after, a gentleman appeared at the door, came in and did a quick turn of the refrigerator dial only to say that it was simply not working. Then, instead of even attempting to change it out, etc, instead, this gentleman came clearly prepared to move us to another room, as he came with other room keys. That to me seemed to indicate one of two things...they new the refrigerator was already broken or even if they were unaware, knew they weren't going to even try to bother fixing or replacing it, rather it would be US to be inconvenienced late at night. (Mind you at no point again were any apologies even given for our inconvenience) We then moved rooms yet again, having to move all our belongings late at night and when we were already dressed for bed and tired. We again went to the front desk to explain what had occurred and of our extreme disgust and disappointment. We had already planned another night stay in the area but were going to go to another local hotel. The woman at the front desk however, offered another night at no cost after what occurred, along with breakfast coupons for the following morning. So that night we went to bed as we were very tired and already disgusted with the issues since arrival. We woke early and went down to breakfast, which unfortunately I have to say was also not what you expect of Hilton standards. Many of the items were stale and the service left much to be desired. We also both had stomach issues after that breakfast. We spent the day at the park and upon arrival back, our first issue was that our room key had "expired" from what we were told, and did not work. So yet again, another trip to the front desk. Upon entering the room, we realized that the temperature in the room did not seem the setting we had left it. We again were tired and also quite disgusted with having to consistently go to the front desk and complain, that we hoped that we could change the temperature and it would gradually adjust itself. This never happened unfortunately, and we went from being both extremely warm at times during the night...causing us to sweat...to literally freezing. There was simply no way to regulate the temperature correctly. To add to this, since we were so tired the night before after being moved yet again to this, the third room, we didn't take notice as to why we were so uncomfortable sleeping in the bed. Although the pillows are VERY flat, it turned out it was a much broader issue. The "dial" for the "adjustable" mattress was broken and the bed instead literally had "holes" your body would slump down into while sleeping, since it was "deflated". We did complain yet again to the front desk, but were told to contact the manager "Sarah" for further help. I have done so as of yesterday, and have yet to receive a return call. Just overall an extremely disappointing stay to say the least. We will definitely NOT return to this hotel upon our return, which we happen to have passes and go to the parks on a frequent basis. I feel ANY amount paid was unfair for the standard of "quality" we received. Truly, truly disappointing.

Room Tip: Want a good room...stay at another local hotel like the Embassy Suites or Comfort Suites.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank Pocketfullasunshine
I understand how disappointed you must feel regarding the cleanliness and maintenance issues you encountered. I sincerely apologize for this. As we utilize reviews to assess our guest needs, this is one of the areas that we want to be very vigilant in to ensure comfort and satisfaction for our guests. I'm so sorry that we were unable to meet expectations and based upon your review and other's like Jon G, I am actively participating with our housekeeping and maintenance teams to ensure these problems do not happen again. I hope that if you travels bring you back to the area that you will consider staying with us again. I am glad we were able to provide you with a complementary night stay with us as well as breakfast for your family.
Thank you again, I appreciate your honest feedback and please feel free to contact me if you have additional comments. While I did not get your phone message, I did receive a message on Monday that was quite long, but was pure static, and I could not make out anything the person was saying, I was hopeful they would call back so that I could connect with them, could that possibly have been you?

Kind regards,

Fernandina Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Very convenient to school and restaurants, entertainment. We have stayed here in the past and always return because we have had such great service, pleasant, courteous staff. The hotel and rooms are always clean, bright and well kept.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your stay with us! I am so pleased you continue to have great visits with us and we work very hard to ensure all of your visits are first class! We have some exciting upgraded and improvements coming in 2013 and we cannot wait to share them with you!

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I do quite a bit of business in Temple Terrace and I always stay at this HGI. The hotel is right off of I75 so it is pretty easy to get to. Its a standard HGI, but the staff makes the stays here very pleasant, which is why I keep staying here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for your review! We have a pretty amazing team here who really know how to take excellent care of our guests and we are always pleased when our efforts pay off. We hope you get the chance to stay with us again very soon!

Thank you again!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Temple Terrace
Hampton Inn & Suites Tampa - North
Hyatt Place Busch Gardens
Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa-USF/Near Busch Gardens
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens
Wingate by Wyndham Tampa/At USF
Holiday Inn Express Tampa North - Telecom Park

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Tampa North? Share your experiences!