“Smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Historic Tavernier Inn Hotel

Historic Tavernier Inn Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Tavernier B&B and Inns
Alabama
“Smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2011

This is a tough review to write. I could not decide if it deserved a 2 or 3 rating. In the end I decided on a 3.

This is more a B&B with a bathroom than a hotel. The rooms are tiny and the bathrooms- wow, when i sit on the toilet my knees hit the wall. I am 6'1" 230 and had a rough time in this room, anyone bigger can forget it.
Major construction on the road also was a pain.

The Pros;

the room was clean
the bed was comfy
the room was only 90 bucks

The Cons;

small room
NO amenities at all
Parking is a pain
nothing really within waling distance.

Bottom Line- for only one night I sucked it up and made it do, if I had been staying longer I would have paid extra and gone somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Datadude76

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Brevard County
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2011

From reviews, I knew this hotel was older and "quaint," and I expected the room to be small, but there were some standard hotel services that this hotel lacks. There were no electrical outlets in the bathroom, and only one in the bedroom (with a power strip, so things could be plugged in). There were no provisions to hang clothes, and after snorkeling you need some way to hang damp swim clothes and towels without hanging them off the corners of the framed wall pictures! Maybe all rooms aren't like this; I saw that the room across the hall had a closet, but this one didn't. Most disappointing of all was the fact that the hotel apparently offers NO cleaning during your stay, unless you stay longer than a week! When our room hadn't been cleaned at the end of the second day, I asked at the desk, and the lady on duty told me that they don't clean bathrooms/floors/change sheets or exchange towels unless the stay is longer than a week. I thought maybe this was just a "Keys" thing, but from reading reviews of other budget hotels, that doesn't seem to be the case. We did get clean towels when we asked for them, but I felt lucky because the desk clerk said "let me see if there are any."

Good points - the price is a good value.
- The room was VERY clean when we checked in.
- No bugs!
- The bed was very comfortable.
- The room was very quiet.
- The TV and A/C worked great; I didn't use the internet because I went there to get away from that!

But because of the lack of basic service and amenities, I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BobLindsay

Travelers are raving about these Tavernier hotels

Indian Harbour Beach, FL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2011

We stayed here on 2-18-2011 on a Friday night. The rate was $120, and there was only one place cheaper in Key Largo for $105, that got terrible reviews on this site. Anyways, the room is small, everything was clean, and it was pretty much no frills. Easy check-in and check-out with a key drop for the morning. There is a great restaurant next door for breakfast in the morning called Sunrise Restaurant. The prices are cheap and the food is excellent. There is also a shopping plaza about 1/2 mile south with a pub, supermarket, chinese food, subway, etc... Again, great location. We would definitely stay here again. Check out my pictures for a detailed look at the hotel and rooms.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank beachsideandy
Durham, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2011

If you need a place to stay the night in the Key Largo area, this is a great little hotel just off Route 1. This hotel suited our needs perfectly, as we needed a decent place to stay for one night and didn't want to spend a lot of money as we were not planning on spending time at the hotel. The lady at reception was friendly and let us use the office bathroom when we tried to check in early. As the room was not ready, she told us that a key would be left for us in a drawer, as we were not going to return until later at night. The key was there waiting for us upon our return. I was a bit worried about what the room would be like, as this hotel seems to be at the lower price-range in the Keys. To my relief the room was very clean and seemed to have been recently painted. The bed was very comfortable, similar to those at the Holiday Inns I've stayed at recently. The towels were fluffy and white and the bathroom smelled like bleach. The decor in the room is contemporary, and not dated as mentioned in many reviews about several other hotels in the Keys.
It was very quiet when we got back to the hotel around midnight. We heard some noise in the morning as other guests were leaving early and were chatting outside our door, but it didn't bother us. Might be a good idea to bring earplugs if you're a light-sleeper and want to sleep in.
I would not stay here for a beach holiday where you want to relax at the hotel, but this is a great place for somewhere to sleep for a night or two if exploring the Keys. There is parking behind the hotel and deck chairs in the front and back,

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Monica N
Key Largo, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2010

We stayed at the Tavernier Inn because of the historical value. We expected small rooms so we were not surprised and it still had everything we could need. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. It was also very interesting looking at all of the pictures f the old keys. Not only will I recommend it i will be staying there again in a few weeks.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank MrsScope
Aubrey, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2010

When traveling to a place like the Keys, my husband and I don't care much about the extra amenities of the hotel since we won't be spending much time in the hotel; we just want a clean place to stay that doesn't break the bank.
If you are looking for an inexpensive, yet clean, place to stay while in the Keys, this is it. It's a charming little Inn that gives you a more authentic Keys experience.
They have renovated the entire inn. We had free high-speed internet that is faster than many higher-end hotels we've stayed at, a flat screen TV, new linens, new towels, new bedspread, new paint, new bathroom tile and fixtures, etc.
We stayed for three nights. There was no daily maid service for this length of stay, but they would bring up anything you needed.
The front desk staff was helpful and nice.
They had a "get the third night free" deal when we went, so the price was even lower than expected! Check out their website for lower prices-Expedia's pricing was $10/night higher than their website had.
Helpful note: this is an older (remodeled) building, so the water takes a little bit of time to warm up. My first night there I thought there was no hot water: I was just not used to plumbing in an historic building. Give it a minute ... the hot water WILL COME! :)
Loved it and will definitaly stay here again when we return to the Keys.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ItsATrip2010
Budapest, Hungary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2010

We spent a night in the hotel on our way to the Keys. The staff was really helpful all the time, but unfortunately wireless internet was not available in the room and the walls were so thin that we had to listen to the family next to us arguing even around midnight. The air conditioner was also quite loud, we had to turn it off after a while which resulted in uncomfortable heat.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BP-Shepherds
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tavernier
Coconut Palm Inn
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,286 reviews
Dove Creek Lodge
Dove Creek Lodge
#6 of 19 in Key Largo

Been to Historic Tavernier Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!