“Definitely worth seeing!”

Florida Keys Wild Bird Rehabilitation Center
Ranked #1 of 20 things to do in Tavernier
More attraction details
Owner description: As a part of the FKWBC, the Laura Quinn Wild Bird Sanctuary is home to over one hundred non-releasable, permanent bird residents as well as wild birds including hawks, owls, vultures, pelicans, terns, gulls, herons, spoonbills, and many more. Visitors are invited to learn about our birds and the fragile ecosystems of the Florida Keys. The Sanctuary is open to the public from sun-rise to sun-set. Admission is free, but donations to help the FKWBC to continue to fulfill our mission are gladly accepted. The Florida Keys Wild Bird Center's mission is to rescue, rehabilitate, and release native and migratory wild birds that have been harmed or displaced, to provide or locate a humane shelter for those birds that cannot be released, and to educate the public toward the importance of coexistence with all wild bird species. The Florida Keys Wild Bird Center is a 501(C)(3) Charitable Organization.
Reviewed June 27, 2014

This is an amazing wild bird sanctuary where you can get up-close and personal with egrets, pelicans, and birds-of-prey. While the grounds certainly need some upkeep, they are clearly doing the best they can with very limited resources. There is no entrance fee, although you will certainly want to leave a donation when you see the good work being done here. It only takes about an hour to see the center.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,171)

Reviewed June 26, 2014

My wife and I enjoyed our visit to the Bird Rehab center. This is a short tour (30 min) and this facility is doing wonderful work providing a rehab facility for the birds. The cost is free.

Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

Over the years, I've seen the growth and the success of the Wild Bird Center and I am impressed! One of the best places in S Florida to visit, worth the drive if you are in Miami or Ft Myers. HELP THEM OUT!! They do good work!!

Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

This was an incredible experience. I stopped by with my 11 year old & we both enjoyed our visit immensely. The "pelican crossing" sign was met with guffaws as indeed a pelican was crossing! We both left with a great appreciation of the selflessness some people demonstrate in their care & attentiveness to nature! Highly recommended!!!

1  Thank Jonitlove
Reviewed June 9, 2014

My family and I happened to pass by here after our snorkeling trip was cancelled due to bad weather... The attraction is free, you park and you walk in. The place seems nice and relaxing, the trees, the birds, and even the ocean at the end of the little park. What took me off guard was the place and how it looked. It seemed a little deteriorated and like the birds needed more food. Maybe it was because it was early morning and they were just feeding and watering them for the morning but something seemed a little off. The birds were neat though and really cool to see them

Its free, and cool birds. Maybe its been updated since I last went but its worth visiting. It will only take about 20/30 mins at most. Its a quick in and out type of thing