“Lovely evening”
Review of Old Tavernier

Old Tavernier
Ranked #6 of 29 Restaurants in Tavernier
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Serving the upper keys community for 30 years Old Tavernier Restaurant offers its guest visiting for the first time or welcoming back our local guest back again a warm, safe and friendly place to enjoy the casual flavor of our lounge or the back patio overlooking the marina to our white table clothed dining area, but casual dress is fine!. We offer an international menu that includes the areas best pizza to Prime beef and fresh regional seafood. Offering a full menu until 11:00 pm on Friday and Saturday.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Dinner for 2. It is on the water but has a small number of out door tables. Our 8:00 PM reservation didn't get us one. It is not accessible-you have to walk up a flight of stairs to get to it. Then we entered thru the very noisy, crowded bar. Once we found an employee we were directed to the entrance to the dining room where we were seated promptly. The yellow tail snapper menieure was delicious. Husband had little neck clams with pasta in a white wine sauce with tomatoes and mushrooms which was also delicious. The dining room was noisy-even when we left and there were only 2 other occupied tables. They have a full bar which we learned is not so common at restaurants in Key Largo.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (599)

Reviewed January 4, 2020

From the very beginning it was horrid. We were seated only to be ignored for 20 minutes. We finally got a waitress to come over she asked if we had anyone help us yet and we said no. The maitre d rushed over and told her to go back to her tables. He apologized and asked us if we wanted some wine on the house, we declined because we don’t drink. Still hopeful that we would have a nice dinner he sends over a waitress who says she’ll take care of us and also apologizes. She asks us what would we like and being thirsty I order a sparkling water. My husband and I having been seated there for so long already knew what we wanted so we ordered the apps the salads and the main course. Well wouldn’t you know we sat there again for another 10 minutes for her to send out a salad and still no water. I’m so disgusted by this time and ready to leave but my husband is hungry and it’s already late and he says let’s just deal with it. I’m not happy about it but we stay. Ugh! We ask someone other than our waitress about the bottle of sparkling water and finally she brings it over once again apologizing about it and tells us our appetizers were ALMOST ready?! REALLY!!! So finally after waiting another 10 minutes she brings out the oysters Rockefeller. They were not to die for as we were told. Small no bacon and warm not bubbling. Ok she brings out the escargot I eat one and I’m like wait a minute what the heck? Was that cold? I eat another and yes it’s freaking bone cold. By this time I’m like oh no this gotta be on purpose. My husband eats 3 of them and says yeah they’re cold. There’s one left and someone walking around dressed in black asks us if everything was ok and I said absolutely not. The escargot are cold. He’s like oh no I’m so sorry but seeing that they are almost gone I believe he thinks I’m just a complainer by now. I’m pretty livid now but still sit there because of my hungry husband. I’m wondering what’s next by now and lost all hope for this place. Finally the dinner comes out an hour and a half later. My husband ordered a rib eye and I the lamb chops. She puts it in front of me like don’t these look nice I’m like umm yeah I guess. I was so over this place. My husbands steak looked nice too. I cut a piece of the chop and it’s ok. Not very flavorful. Cooked without any olive oil,butter or salt and pepper. My husbands chowing down and he cuts a lice of his steak and I try it. Holy S&@# it’s so cold. WTF!!! I’m done. My husband is telling me let’s just get through this and we’ll never come here again and to not say anything I’m like yeah ok. The same guy comes over to ask if my food was good I told him I’ve had better and let him know that my husbands steak which mind you is almost gone is cold. He doesn’t believe because it’s almost gone. Oh well we are told we can have a free desert because our troubles but cannot have anything but the coconut cake. Lol this place is a joke. Everyone raves about it and it was the worst experience I’ve ever had in a restaurant. What’s even worse is the same waitress started taking care of another new table of victims? next to us. She brought them bread water and told them the daily specials that we were not told about UGH!!!! Old Tavineur needs a revamp from management all the way down to the service. Let me retract that I do believe the only person doing a good job was the bus boy. I had enough time to check it out.

Date of visit: January 2020
3  Thank Kabbal_13
Reviewed January 3, 2020

The evening view was lovely, the staff was very(but not intrusively so)attentive. The food was- Fabulous! I have been in the restaurant/catering business pretty much my whole life and this was the best meal I have had in a really long time-bread to dessert was top shelf-we all cleaned our plates!

Reviewed December 21, 2019

Prior to traveling to Key Largo, we cheked out several restaurants, etc. on Trip Advisor and this restaurant was a recommendation. Our experience is completely different. The Server was fair to good, but the food was terrible. We had Vongole and Veal Parmesan. Vongole: The white garlic sauce was missing garlic/etc.. It tasted like chicken soup and the pasta was way overcooked. I could only eat half of it. Veal Parmesan: The veal was very poor quality, the marinara sauce tasted like tomato sauce from the can-no flavor and once again the pasta was way overcooked. Bread: The was no bread served. I asked the server for some and she said it was only on request. I asked her how would I know this and that she should ask if the customer wants bread. My suggestion is to pass on this restaurant!

1  Thank Bruce428
Reviewed December 12, 2019 via mobile

We had a great waitress she had been there along time. Very attentive and knowledgeable about area and great food