“Best food in the Upper Keys”

Old Tavernier Restaurant-Lounge
Ranked #6 of 22 Restaurants in Tavernier
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Serving the upper keys community for 30 years Old Tavernier Restaurant offers its guest visiting for the first time or welcoming back our local guest back again a warm, safe and friendly place to enjoy the casual flavor of our lounge or the back patio overlooking the marina to our white table clothed dining area, but casual dress is fine!. We offer an international menu that includes the areas best pizza to Prime beef and fresh regional seafood. Offering a full menu until 11:00 pm on Friday and Saturday.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

This restaurant is fabulous - phenomenal food and great service, with an intimate atmosphere. The restaurant bills itself as 'waterfront', but the waterfront is actually a canal. However, it is a romantic white-tablecloth restaurant. The calamari appetizer is large and flavorful, pasta dishes are wonderful, but the restaurant really shines in its preparation of fish - both whole and filleted. Service is very attentive, but not pushy. This is our go-to spot for special occasions!

There are newer reviews for Old Tavernier Restaurant-Lounge

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Lovely location, excellent food and good service. I always recommend this place to all my customers and none of them have been ever disappointed. All the dishes I have tried are good but the chicken alfredo pizza is one of my favorites "just delicious".I encourage to give this restaurant a try you won't be disappointed either. One of the best in the Upper Keys.

Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

We went here based on the advice of a friend who comes on a regular basis. We arrived at the bar and asked for a table for 7. As we waited for the rest of our party to arrive we ordered drinks. The bartender was very pleasant and gave us great service. When the rest of our group arrived, we were seated in the dining room. One couple in our group had been there in the past and wanted to order the Pizza. Well the server informed us the pizza is not served in the dining room, only the bar area. We were never asked where we wanted to sit or what we would be eating. The staff did move us to the bar area and we were given the same menu as the dining room. The pizza is not on the menu among some other items such as salads they have. I think they just want you to order the higher priced and average entrees. I will give this place another try but will stay in the bar area with the more reasonably priced "secret" menu if I can find it.

1  Thank Renee2851
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I visited Old Tavernier and sat at the bar and had a glass of wine and a few appetizers. They were delicious. I had the beef carpaccio (my favorite) and shrimp and scallops neptune. The bar staff was super friendly and food was amazing. You can tell its definitely a locals place, if the locals hang out there is must be good and it was. It is my new favorite hang out!

Reviewed June 22, 2013

So nearing the end of our 2 week vacation in Florida - everglades - down to the keys and on the way back up, we were looking for a memorable meal near the end of our journey. Since we were staying in Tavernier, we didn't want to go that far as we were also planning on having a drink or two. We checked out a couple of restaurants that we saw in a book, but considering there were no cars parked out front decided to pass on both of these. Deciding to turn around instead of going back over the 7 mile bridge, we were headed back up the keys and decided to go into Old Tavernier.

We were sure glad we did! We walked in and saw the table cloths on the table and decided that we were not that fancy so sat in the lounge. Since it was darker than we thought had to go back out to the car to get some reading glasses - which we normally need but fail to admit each time haha. When I came back, my wife already had a glass of wine in her hand and the bartender/waitress came out to ask what I would like. Got a good glass of wine and started reviewing the menu. We joked w/ the bartender that the restaurant was very beautiful and a little fancy for us - she laughed and said this is the keys - just relax. She made us feel so at home - and we were not the only comfortable ones. All night long regulars were coming in and chatting it up w/ her, but we didn't hear much as we were deeply involved in each other and our food - whoa the food.

My wife ordered a couple of appetizers - crevettes - sauteed scallops, shrimp and mushrooms as well as the mushroom neptune (crabmeat & mushrooms, cheese). I decided to go with the special - blackened scallops & shrimp w/ risotto - and it was super special!! We both had salads (very fresh & good dressing (ranch & bleu cheese - kinda thin). Service was top notch - our bartender understood when we needed something and when to leave us alone. One of the best, freshest meals on our trip. Finished off w/ more wine and I had a jalapeno infused margarita (heard someone talking about this and I am a sucker for some heat being in SoCal). Lastly we decided on the fresh - did I mention fresh - key lime pie and coffee - we were definitely done for at this time (after 2+ hours). Was not cheap (not expensive) - but it was so worth it - they have a full well stocked bar - your regular and some interesting drinks. We will be stopping by on our next trip. Do yourself a favor and sit a while in here.