Tripadvisor
Tavernier
All reviews the cottages private beach wonderful hosts bocce ball small cooler conch key key west snorkel gear flora and fauna thought of everything tiki hut grounds are immaculate charcoal grill little slice of paradise bahia honda adirondack chairs small kitchen
Selected filters
Reviewed January 13, 2020 via mobile

If you’re looking for a relaxing, feel-at-home, immaculately themed and maintained cottage type stay, then this is a must for you. The owners go above and beyond the norm to make you feel special. Each cottage has a special theme. And, the grounds are immaculately manicured with faux tiki torches lining the drive/walkway, BBQ grills at each cottage, hammocks, several covered patios and numerous outdoor recliners. While there is not a long walking beach there is a sunset viewing area and space for sunbathing or just relaxing. There are a lot of things to see and do in the area. However, keep in mind that Tavernier is about an hours drive from Ft. Lauderdale and Miami. And, it’s about another two hour drive to Key West. So, plan your trip wisely. But, do consider this privately owned and operated gem a place to relax and enjoy Tavernier, Key Largo, Islamorada, and points beyond.

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank VegasHopper
Reviewed January 3, 2020 via mobile

My wife and I had a short last minute trip down to key west and decided to take our time getting back to Miami so we wanted a nice hotel between the two. I was looking at reviews for Island Bay and thought it sounded great so booked it.

The reviews did NOT do it justice, this is little almost boutique resort was well above my expectations even after reading all of the great reviews. The owners live on site and you can tell them take great pride in providing amazing service and accommodations.

As an entrepreneur myself, I love finding businesses that truly value giving a great experience. The attention to detail was unbelievable. The entire resort property was meticulously maintained. We had originally planned to leave in the morning to hang out in Miami during the day before our flight home, but totally changed our plans and just hung our on the beach all day at the resort. They even have a little shower house at the beach that you can check out earlier and then just hang out afterwards.

Thank you Mike & Carol for an amazing visit. We will definitely be back any time we are back in the keys!

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank 222RandyS
Reviewed January 2, 2020

We stayed in two of the rooms (first #9, then #2) and let me tell you...I was thrilled from the moment we turned into the drive! The attention to detail is second to none! Everywhere you look you are reminded you have arrived in the islands, yet it it is not over-done On the contrary, it is a feast for the eyes and I delighted in the little surprises and the unexpected fresh flowers everywhere! The rooms are very clean and the staff is exceedingly friendly and their customer focus is simply amazing. Our very understanding hosts were so very kind to us as our weather delayed flight was a 26 hour ordeal and they allowed us a late check in and time to sleep in the next morning...a MUCH appreciated accommodation! The grounds are kept as immaculate as the rooms and I was happy to be in a small, intimate setting. What was an even greater bonus to me was we had this lovely, quiet resort with pretty easy access to just about any type of activity we wanted to do within a short drive. Key West was probably the furthest place we drove to, but, we went on Christmas day, somehow seemed to avoid any major traffic, and still saw the things we wanted to. Mostly, we stayed local and, I will be honest, didn't miss out on anything! I want to give Carol and Mike extra thanks because we stayed over the Christmas holiday and I was even able to arrange for them to purchase a small gift for my Fiance' to leave on our doorstep Christmas morning as a surprise from me. He was really touched and completely surprised! It is a quiet, beautiful paradise, and...believe me you, a true labor of love. (Do ask to see the pictures of the place when they bought it...you'll be floored at the amazing transformation and, again, those details I truly loved.) Thank you, Mike and Carol (and Emily) for making our stay so wonderful!

Room tip: We stayed both close to the beach and closer to the office (and street) we truly didn't hear much noise outside the room at all.
1  Thank SWsadie
Reviewed December 31, 2019

Island Bay resort was outstanding! The owners are great people, very accommodating. The units and entire property are very clean and well kept! Beautiful sunsets at the dock. Kayaks and paddle boards in good shape and easy to use. We would stay here again for sure if we ever travel to the Keys again.

Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed December 28, 2019

First time visit to IBR (and the Keys as well). Spent last four days in Key West (#1) and the stay was wonderfully serene. Switched over to the MB resort for days 5 and 6 (will post a review there as well). Mike and Carolyn were excellent. Had one small glitch with shower drain, ran into Mike trimming palm trees coming back from office and he literally dropped his trimmer to come down and fix the problem. Maid service superb. Used both kayak and paddle boards - great for paddling out and watching the sunset. Well worth returning to.

Room tip: Our most relaxing times easily were just hanging out on the deck chairs, hammocks and paddle boards/kayaks - any room will be fine.
1  Thank Pat B