Island Bay Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Coconut Palm Inn(Key Largo)
  • Pool
View Hotel
MB at Key Largo(Key Largo)
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
View Hotel
All reviewsthe cottagesprivate beachwonderful hostsbocce ballthanks mikekey westconch keysmall coolersnorkel gearthought of everythingtiki hutcharcoal grilllittle slice of paradisebahia hondachaise loungessea grasssmall kitchen
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 22, 2010

My family went down to the Keys, so my husband and I could do our check-out dive. We really enjoyed our stay at the Island Bay Resort. We stayed in the Conch Key Cottage. I loved how how Carol and Mike decorated it in a Conch motif--conchs on the bedspread to conchs on the plates and glasses. A nice touch was the beach music CD that was playing in the room when we arrived. We had plenty of space in the two-room cottage. Our 12 year old loved having his own room and TV. The kitchenette was a nice size and we kept it well stocked for breakfast and snacks. The bathroom was small, but the shower was more than ample sized. Thought it did take us a day to realize that that temperature on the shower regulator was reversed (you have to turn it to "C" to get hot water, and vice versa). The bed was very comfortable and I had no problem sleeping. And there were extra pillows and blankets if we had needed them. And I loved the fact that there was a washer and dryer available, especially with a pre-teen boy who changes his clothes twice a day!!!

The grounds were nicely decorated and we loved having the chaise lounges to sit on an watch the local fireworks on July 4th. We were planning on going to Founders' Park in Islamorada, but Mother Nature was threatening with her own "fireworks" that evening. And the sand on the beach was raked every evening. And even though Island Bay Resort is right off US 1, the Resort itself was quiet. All we heard were the birds and the geckos.

We were a little intimidated by using the beach because of all the sea grass, but now that I thing about it...hey, we went scuba diving and saw sharks and barracudas...what was I worried about?!

Next time we go down to the Keys, we would stay at the Island Bay Resort in a heartbeat!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank clemren
Reviewed July 21, 2010

We chose this resort because of the reviews on this site. We found the resort to be less than what we expected. Our cottage was very small and dated. No room to put clothes and to just sit and relax. The kitchenette was tiny as well as the bathroom--except for the shower. The shower was bigger than the kitchenette and bathroom! The wall air conditioner was very noisy. The bed was not comfortable to me...too soft. The outdoor property is also small. I was hoping to have a better view of the water. The property is kept up well--clean and organized. In my opinion, this resort is nice for 1-2 days at the most. We just stayed too long!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Soloandbolo
Reviewed July 5, 2010

Discovered this resort through Tripadvisor's Top Ten Resorts (#1 ranking.) We stayed in lodge #10. The property is located on the bayside of the Key's. The temperature while we were there was in the 90's with 80% + humidity. This precluded us from doing the majority of our outdoor activities, e.g. wading/swimming in the bay because the water felt like tepid bath water and was filled with grass. Also, it was too warm to drive down to Key West and play tourist.
The owner's, Mike and Carol provided us with a list of restaurants in the area for BLD. They were all okay. Nothing to get excited about. The grounds were well maintained and the lounge chairs and umbrellas were quite comfortable near the bay. We didn't avail ourselves of the free kayak or the barbeque pits.

There were only a few negatives about the lodge where we stayed, the airconditioning unit was positioned atop the bedroom wall and didn''t cool-off the other rooms, e.g. kitchen and bathroom, and , in many cases there was only two utensils or plates provided and no dishwashing detergent. Also, the bathroom towels were rather skimpy/flimsy. Finally, the bedroom lamps were set-up for three-way bulbs, but they only had one-way 100 watt bulbs. I know that I am being pickiyune, but the owners' were frugal when it wouldn't have cost them much to upgrade.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravelEnthusiast1_10
Reviewed June 29, 2010

We went to Island Bay based on the reviews from Trip Advisor. Mike and Carol manage a really nice place. The rooms are very comfortable. The microwave, coffee pot, stove, and refrigerator came in handy, especially for those mornings when I went diving and did not have time to go out for breakfast. The TV’s have a DVD player built right in and we took our NetFlix with us.

The beach was small but adequate with lots of comfortable tables and chairs spread about to give you some space. We especially used it in the evenings to consume the occasional bottle of wine. Overall, the upkeep on this resort is immaculate.

I found the pillows on the bed to be too hard for me, but that's probably a personal thing. The only suggestion I really have is that they add wi-fi to all rooms. I was taking a grad class (no choice on the timing) and needed Internet access to get to my course work and complete/submit assignments. You can pick up the wi-fi in a cozy area just outside the office (and there is an overhead fan) but it was just too hot to spend hours doing homework. My laptop kept losing the signal (but the iPAD worked fine) outside the resort office. When I needed to do school work I ended up driving to the nearest Starbucks, which sufficed, but it would have been easier to have the access in my resort room. Yeah, taking homework on vacation does suck but it just goes to show that there is never a good time to take a class.

If you are a diver, then the closest dive shop to the resort is Conch Republic Divers and I give them high marks. Nice boats, good crews, and they generally got you where you wanted to go, even in rough weather. Bay Island has special lockers set aside in an area where you can wash and then hang up your gear (with locks provided). You can wash your gear at the dive shop, but it was easier I found to take it back and wash and hang it to dry at the resort.

The only restaurants within walking distance are a Dairy Queen, meaning you have to run across US 1 (do so at your own peril!) and Chad's, which is what I can only describe as the best gourmet sandwich shop/family restaurant in which we have ever dined. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner were all excellent. Chad’s is located on the same side of the road as the resort and is about a three-minute walk south.

Besides Chad’s we ate at Snappers (it was OK, the baked stuffed shrimp was good), the Fish House (also OK, tho $9 crab cake was bottom burned but they replaced it and the dining room was tiny), Old Tavernier (very good, try the veal chop), and Braza Lena which was wonderful if you are a meat lover, but beware the “one price” does not cover coffee, sodas, deserts, etc and they slip in an 18% gratuity. I thought $160.00 for two people (and only one of us had any alcohol – a glass of wine) was a bit pricey. On off nights we simply went to McDonald’s or got something to eat at the Win Dixie supermarket. Sign up for their membership card (free from the Win Dixie cashier) and then you can reap all the discounts.

I don't know if we'll ever go back to Key Largo. We usually vacation in October but by a fluke we had to take vacation in June this year and our usual destination, Disney World, is just too hot and too crowded for us in June. However, if we ever do go back, we would without hesitation stay at this resort again.

Word of warning reference flights out of Miami: We had a 10:10 flight departure on a Monday morning and left the resort just prior to 06:30, thinking we had given ourselves enough time to return the car and make the airline check in with two hours to spare. The last 13 miles in Miami consumed almost two whole hours, and we missed the flight. We called American (from grid lock traffic) and paid $100.00 for confirmed seats on a later flight. This was my fault for not anticipating the gridlock that affects Miami during rush hour, but just be aware of it. I should have left at least an hour earlier.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Gwijie
Reviewed June 9, 2010

We loved our stay at Island Bay, the owners have put alot of time and thought into making a perfect place to relax and get away from everyday life. We feel lucky to have stayed at this wonderful little haven and would not hesitate in returning.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family