“Perfect couples resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Island Bay Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tavernier
Island Bay Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Tavernier
GreenLeadersSilver level
Upstate, NY
“Perfect couples resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

I have so many good things to say about this resort I don't know where to start. I guess the size is the biggest factor in all of them. It is small, only 10 rooms, and many of them have a max occupancy of 2 people. There aren't a million kids running around and there are no guests allowed. Your hosts Mike and Carrol are very helpful with planning outtings and resturant choices. The grounds and rooms are meticulously kept, down to the smallest detail.
If you are looking for a calm, relaxing resort, Island Bay Resort is the right place for you.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Super_Vacationer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Port Orange, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

The best experience I have ever had in a hotel/resort--period! First off-let me say that I have stayed in dozens of other hotels in the Florida Keys. I grew up in Florida and have taken many-a-vacation to the keys.
The attention to detail at Island Bay Resort is amazing. The property has everything you could possibly need on a relaxing vacation (kayaks, a relaxing tiki hut with plush cushions, hammocks, games, lounge chairs, umbrellas, showers, etc). It is definitely for couples and is just beyond beautiful! The owners keep everything picture perfect. They bent over backwards for us and I just can't say enough about what a great experience it was! Mike and Carol are super friendly and hard working for their guests! Relaxing, romantic, fun and beautiful. When I go back to the keys I will be staying at ISLAND BAY RESORT! *****

Room Tip: There are NO bad rooms!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Nathan S
Rochester Hills
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here because of tripadvisor reviews. I can see why people are thrilled with this resort. My daughter and I stayed for one night. I am Leary of independent hotels in the Keys. The attention to detail was unbelievable! Mike and Carol really know how to make you feel like a VIP! I would recommend staying here to anyone looking to be pampered.

• Stayed July 2013
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

We have visited Island Bay Resort before and recently spent our anniversary there. Upon entry onto the property you notice the tropical and lush landscaping, along with flora and fauna. We love the location as it is located near many great restaurants, parks, other local points of interest and a beautiful beach. It is also close enough to Key West to take day trips. We stayed in the Boats and Birds cottage. Each cottage is themed and we enjoyed the pictures of the boats and birds in this one. Rooms are clean and energy efficient, with a small kitchen included. The beach is steps away with plenty of comfy lounge chairs and umbrellas for shade. The beach is also the best place to watch the sunset on the property with a glass of wine. Carol and Mike are gracious and accommodating hosts. They recommended a fishing guide for us which made this trip memorable. We will continue to come back to Island Bay Resort to visit Carol and Mike and the beautiful Keys.

Room Tip: Rooms are extremely clean and inviting. Each cottage is themed with authentic pictures of the Keys.
Green Features: Very environmental friendly resort with recycling receptacles, energy saving appliances, lights and a towel reuse program.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dbender407
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

We were looking for a weekend getaway that was quiet, and had a great view. Island Bay Resort did not disappoint. We arrived early Friday and walked to Chad's restaurant while awaiting check in time of 2:00PM.
Chad's was very good. Ended up eating there at least once a day.
Check in was great. MIke gave us a list of restaurants he recommended. We tried about 5-6 of them and were never disappointed.
The room (#4) was very clean and nicely furnished. Air conditioner kept the room very cool. Lot's of pictures that Mike took adorned the walls. We enjoyed looking at them. Even had a digital display in the room with a slideshow of MIke's wonderful photography.
The beach was on the bayside, so the water was always very calm The ground are meticulously kept. There were plenty of padded lounge chairs with umbrellas for shade, if needed.
The view was great.
Mike and Carol were wonderful hosts.
If you are looking for a quiet getaway, this is the place.
Book early. We waited 2.5 months to book a 3 day weekend. They are heavily in demand.
They only have 9 units, so they book fast.
Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: The lower the room number, the closer you are to the water.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Airportjohn
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

We spent several days researching places to spend our anniversary weekend, Island Bay doesn't disappoint. The rooms are very comfortable and clean. The shower is quite large with a high shower head (taller people will appreciate this). The owners (Mike and Carol), have obviously put a lot of time and love into this beautiful place. The grounds are lovely too. This place really has everything going for it. Close enough for day trips to Key West, but just far enough out of the craziness. We would definitely stay here again. Anyone can feel confidant staying here.

Room Tip: Cottage #1 is closest to the beach. We stayed in #9 (closer to the highway). But had no problem w...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SonjaT603
West Palm Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

I was in the Keys on business for two days and stayed at the Flora & Fauna Cottage. Very nice and relaxing with stunning grounds and well maintained. The owner was working keeping the grounds manicured at all times during my stay. It is beautiful! I sat outside at night and read and it was so peaceful and quiet. The only down side was it has very poor WiFi. I travel with my laptop all the time and staying in a hotel currently with 5 bars as well as at home. Here the signal was so weak it was one or two bars so one morning I was cut off more than 26 times while trying to work. I mentioned to the lady when I left just because they have a strong signal in the office does not mean anything as far as cottages. I am in the IT business and work with many cottages and hotels and you have to set up access points, boosters, and additional routers in order to accommodate cottages - you need at least 4-5 bars at all time. 1-2 bars is not strong enough in order to maintain a connection. I was unable to watch my TV shows online as the signal was not strong enough. If you are going for leisure only and do not need internet - it is ideal, but if you are going for business - you will have problems until they correct this problem. i also had problem on my HD Nook Plus with the signal. All in all it is a beautiful property and very quiet.

Room Tip: I stayed in #3. The lower the number the closer you are to the water. The higher the # the closer t...
Green Features: Very good and they maintain environmentally friendly practices
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Judy C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tavernier
Atlantic Bay Resort
Hilton Key Largo Resort
Hilton Key Largo Resort
#14 of 19 in Key Largo
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,770 reviews

Been to Island Bay Resort? Share your experiences!