“Paradise within Paradise”

Island Bay Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Tavernier
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 14, 2013

To Mike and Carol,(Owners & great hosts) Thank you for literally the best resort stay of my life. You have a paradise within paradise. You and your wife are the most accommodating,charming and warm people my wife and I have met. The cottage was perfect! (Islamorada) The individually themed cottages are fantastic,super comfortable and the beds are a dream to sleep on. Of the many amenities your resort provides, I loved the kayaking. Your three four legged public relation's cats' are the best. I Hope I did not spoil her too much for you. Your recommendations on places to eat and places of interest were great. Snapper's is awesome! My only regret is I did not stay longer. I will NOT make that mistake again. My wife and I will be back as soon as we can.
Warmest Regards,
Scott & Tacha

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank akers2003

Reviewed February 10, 2013

As Kenny Chesney sings, "everybody has to break free from reality" and Island Bay Resort is the place to do it. My bestfriend and I escaped our reality here (me from frozen NJ and she from a cold Alabama) for 4 great days recently. From the second you turn into the property you are in a small piece of paradise. Mike and Carol are so accommodating and you can see the love they have for their property. Everything was perfect - from our accommodations down to the perfect beach chaise lounge chairs and sunsets. We will be back. Hopefully very soon!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank RollTide09
Reviewed February 4, 2013

My husband and I loved this cozy resort. Mike and Carol have lavished much love and care on the property. The grounds are beautiful with great details such as upscale lounge chairs and umbrellas, Tiki hut with upholstered furniture, solar-powered Tiki torches, cut-out details on the pergolas; the cottages were amazingly clean, with comfy bed, and chairs and table on your own front porch. The resort feels like a secluded garden but is intimate enough to make new friends with the other guests if you're feeling sociable. We'll be back!

3  Thank SusieBChicago
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We love this small resort! Mike and Carol (the owners) have a love affair with their property and it shows. From the welcoming drive through the property to the carefully decorated and maintained rooms to the places for people to gather, the Island Bay Resort is top notch. This very comfortable, welcoming motel is a must if you are visiting the Keys.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Linda P
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We booked the first half of our Keys vacation here (second half in Key West) and we don't want to leave! The rooms/cottages are very cute and comfortable. The resort grounds are beautiful and well maintained. You can tell the owners take a great deal of pride in their property. We spent most of our days on the beach at the resort, which is swimable; and most of our evenings on the deck of our cottage, enjoying the breeze and some drinks. If you prefer to cook your own meals, there is a grocery store 1.5 miles away. We had a great sandwich from Chad's Deli, which is only a block away. When we come back to the Keys in the future, this will be the only place we look to stay!

Room Tip: The lower the room number, the closer you are to the water. Also, there are only ten units, so rese...
6  Thank UPnAboat
Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

The cottages are cute & very teeny & this place is cool with kayaks you can borrow & a bocce court...The owner's photos are gorgeous and you will see a lot of them in your room... BUT after heading south & north again and having visited the Keys a fair few times over the years - (camped on Bahia Honda (gorgeous) rented houses & stayed in other hotels -) This place is for a select crowd ... Its little & very simple - & for another 60-70 bucks you can get a two bedroom unit with a full kitchen & a pool down the keys -
I liked the place, I just think its over priced. The cameras everywhere (guess b/c its off the highway & there's no one there after 6pm) made me uneasy.

• Stayed: January 2013
21  Thank Indimama
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We spent six nights at Island Bay the week of January 13th and really enjoyed it. We stayed in the effiency room facing the beach which was so nice, sitting on our nice deck and enjoyed the view and watched the sunsets.The grounds were kept up so nice. The beach had the hammocks and comfortable beach furniture especially the cabana with the real comfortable couch and chairs.Lots of palm trees and vegetation.The rooms were well furnished with a stove top, microwave, fridge and sink. They had all the tableware and utensils that you needed. The bathroom was nice and I really liked the shower. The best thing I liked about Island Bay is that it was the first time we visited the Keys so we did our busy tourist thing everyday and by mid afternoon we were ready to go back because it felt like going home to relax and kick back. Mike and Carol were freindly and helpful with tips and information. A week there went fast and if we return to the Keys, I would go back to Island Bay Resort.

Room Tip: Book ahead and get the effiency room #1, it faces the beach, smaller room but you will spend most of...
2  Thank gerald_1958
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tavernier
Atlantic Bay Resort
Courtyard by Marriott Key Largo
Holiday Inn Key Largo
Holiday Inn Key Largo
#10 of 20 in Key Largo

Been to Island Bay Resort? Share your experiences!