This was my 3rd stay at Island Bay and as usual I had a very nice time.
I stayed in 2 rooms, since I had waited a little too long to book (this place is getting very popular!) and couldn't stay in the one room the whole time.
My first night was in room 4, which was a small studio, with a micro kitchen. It was tiny, but very comfortable and clean.
The next 2 nights were in room 6, which was about twice the size, with a real kitchen and refrigerator. The bathroom was identical the the ones in the smaller rooms, but this room had a totally seperate bedroom with one of the absolute best air conditioners in all my stays in so many different places in the Keys. Both of the units were silent, yet very capable of cooling down the rooms, even in the heat of mid-May.
The large flat screen tvs (one in the main room and one in the bed room) both swiveled out from the wall and had many cable stations.
I used the Weber bbq outdoor 2 nights and the bigger kitchen made for much easy meal prep, as did the larger fridge. I wished they had more supplies in the kitchen, like foil, cling wrap, spices and sauces, but there's a Winn Dixie close by to pick all that stuff up.
I did some snorkeling around the docks to the left of the property. It was overcast and the visibility wasn't the best, but I saw plenty of fish, with lots of snapper hiding under the docks and some bigger schools of fish swimming in to grab a bite! There were barracda and cassiopea jellyfish all over. I even managed to see a very tiny seahorse, hiding in the sea grass, just before coming out of the water at the beach!
But be sure to take care with bug protection. I forgot to reapply bug spray after snokeling and got attacked by no-see-ums, probably while I was grilling outdoors, wearing dark shorts. Will bring lightweight long pants and shirts next time!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Island Bay Resort provides you with a complete "Florida Keys experience." Our hotel is centrally located between Key Largo and Islamorada and just two hours from Key West and Miami. Enjoying your Florida vacation is easy. Swimming, snorkeling, kayaking, boating and sunbathing can all be enjoyed from our resort's beach. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Island Bay Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Island Bay Hotel Tavernier
- Island Bay Tavernier
- Island Bay Resort Key Largo/Tavernier