“Ocean Point”

Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Tavernier
“Ocean Point”
Reviewed July 24, 2005

Continetal breakfast quite sparse. Not enough towels. Pool was out of commission one day. Approximately one month after stay, they billed my Credit Card 200.00 without notification or authorization for alleged damage. 30 days later! Unbelievable!. No one would return my phone calls, left numerous msgs, always got the run around. Filed dispute with CC company and got my money back. Staff was not overtly rude, but they did not make any effort to be helpful, friendly or informative. The only plus was the suite did accommodate my family of six okay. We basically just slept there.

• Stayed June 2005
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (580)
  • Polish first
Reviewed June 15, 2005

I chose Ocean Pointe for the room setup. I was not disappointed with that feature. There is plenty of space, the kids slept opposite the master bedroom on the pool side of the building while the master bedroom was on the ocean side separated by bath and kitchen. All appliances worked fine. Having a washer and dryer cuts the luggage in half. The setup is similar to a lot of house/condo rentals (no to little housekeeping). This worked fine for us as we would rather have the privacy. Towels are a sparse resource and I would advise buying a couple souvenir beach towels upon arrival. I appreciated the large room safe located in the master bedroom closet. My wife enjoyed the Jacuzzi tub in the master bedroom. The beach is pretty bad, but the park beach is just down the street and is one of the Key's best.
The pool was nice and the kids enjoyed it.
Checkout/check in went smooth and I had no problems at all and it took less time than at MGM Grand Las Vegas.

I went diving with Ocean Divers once and was greatly disappointed. The boat broke and we were pawned out to Rainbow Reef. The dive locations were changed from the Christ of the Abyss and a wreck to a 19' shallow reef dive. The boat captain hustled everyone off the boat in cattle fashion while reminding us of the one hour deadline imposed by him.

All in all we had a good vacation.

• Stayed June 2005
15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Oshawa, Ontario
Reviewed June 2, 2005

The Resort part of the name is very misleading. The beach turned out to be a swamp which smelled absolutely putrid. The few brave souls who ventured into the ocean returned quickly to rinse off the slime. The boat dock was also quite rank. The water is pretty much stagnant in the dock area. There appeared to be a couple of kayaks, but of course no one was using them -- I do not wonder why. The pool was large and clean, but offered little in terms of shade. The four patio umbrellas were almost always occupied.

There are a number of "coupons" that are offered to entice the visitor to the facility, but if you try using one, the front desk people brush you off like flies. Service is especially poor. Inquiries are met with rudeness -- imagine, expecting service from an establishment in the service business.

The accomodations are spacious, but not very clean. The unit we stayed in required some work. The furniture was quite worn -- my husband and I would not sit on the couch without putting a sheet over it. The side chair and the kitchen set were equally in need of recovering -- or better yet, replacement. The bed was the worst bed I had ever slept on. The mattress must have been found at a $99.00 sale. You could lift the mattress off with one hand -- just to illustrate how many springs must have been in the mattress. The kitchen cupboards needed refinishing and the dishwater door might have maimed you if you were not careful. A call to housekeeping for dishwashing liquid was not fulfilled. The resort was out of dishwashing liquid.

If you are looking for a well run place, do not go to this place.

• Stayed May 2005
8 Thank roseyposey133

Travelers are raving about these Tavernier hotels

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed May 5, 2005

We stayed at the OPS April 23-30 of this year. We had reservations at a smaller location and had last minute thoughts about our choice. Our suspicions about the other property were correct and we were ALL quite surprised at the beautiful property that was OPS. I had made a reservation for 5 people, but when we checked in we were assigned a room in Building 4 that only had 2 beds.

I called the Front Desk and was told in a very rude way that there were no other units available and we would have to stay put.

I personally went to the Front Desk the following morning and spoke with a different Clerk. She quickly and efficiently changed our room to Building 5. When we returned from Key West later that evening to change buildings, the same lady who had checked us in was on shift. She was very pleasant and helpful. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for her Manager. He was very rude to her in front of me, and then proceeded to go back to his office with another lady on shift and laugh at her. I was appalled and disgusted by his act. I was even more saddened by seeing the clerk cry and shake because of his rudeness and brash manner. I just wanted to hug her and wipe away her tears. And pop him and his co worker in the snout. I decided that I should just move to my new room and cool off. (BTW, Building 5 Unit 5406 is quite nice *S*...thanks to the family in Chicago who own it).

So I did the next best thing...I went back to the office the following day and reported them to the General Manager. She was quite pleasant and assured me that the situation would be dealt with. I really hope that she did. A property is only as good as the people who manage it and who are employed there.

The beach was great with the added attraction of a pier and gazebo. The pool area and the grounds were also well cared for. Maid service was no problem for us. When I needed clean towels, I just found a cleaning lady working and changed out dirty towels for clean ones. No big deal. The washer and dryer as well as the dishwaher were quite useful. And the unit was tastefully decorated (thanks again to the folks in Chicago!) Also, an added bonus having a gate guard on duty 24/7.

When we checked out the following Saturday, my credit card had been charged incorrectly, but the General Manager that I had the pleasure of speaking with earlier in the week made quick business of the charge and we were out the door in record time.

Overall, I had a pleasant stay, but could never quite get the bad taste out of my mouth from the rudeness shown by the managerial front desk staff on the evening shift. What goes around comes around...hopefully, the Desk Clerk that was treated so rudely by her Manager can put this bad experience behind her and look forward to happier days....and the kindness and wisdom of one good General Manager who has assured me that it would not happen again.

13 Thank Carrie_WV
Reviewed April 21, 2005

Absolute worst customer service ever!
At check-in a young inexperienced girl behind the desk was telling all the guests that there were no rooms available!
We pre-paid for this trip months ago. We paid for a room, a room they don't even have? The overwhelmed and frazzled young girl at the desk kept saying things like, "I'm sorry, it's only my second day, you’ll have to talk to the manager" The manager was offering NO assistance to the inexperienced desk worker and was very rude. We wondered "if this is the kind of attitude we are getting from the manager and we haven't even checked in yet, do we really even want to stay here?" and the answer was NO but that decision was already made for us by the unavailability of any rooms! This would never happen at a Hyatt, or Sheraton or one of the names you know.
At the request of another wary traveler the manager finally came up to the front desk and told the guest his room was not available nor were there any rooms available. The guest stood in shock waiting for more of an explanation and the manager just looked up at him with a condescending glare, and said "what" in a very rude and disdainful manner. Needless to say we were totally appalled by his terribly unprofessional attitude and just appalled by the whole situation in general. We Not unlike any of the other "guests" in the room, spent a long day traveling, dealing with luggage, rental cars, and sitting in traffic. Our expectation of a pre-paid room with the minimal amount of customer service seemed reasonable, and modest. We certainly did not deserve the unprofessional, rude, and reprehensible treatment we received at Ocean Pointe.
We were getting quite fed up and didn’t see the point in waiting any longer only to be told that there are no rooms available. So I asked the girl "are ANY rooms available?" and she said NO and I asked when they would be available and she said "I don’t know" I asked her to refund our money as we will stay elsewhere. She said she didn’t know anything about giving refunds and that I would have to wait and talk to the manager. We found all of this to be totally unacceptable. We quickly realized that Ocean Pointe represented nothing associated with a relaxing vacation, so we immediately contacted our travel agent. Almost in tears, I explained the unpardonable experience and she couldn’t believe it either. She told me in all her many years of working as a travel agent she had never heard of such a thing. She was able to get us a room at the Sheraton and when we arrived there, we were greeted with smiles by helpful courteous staff that were already well informed of our arrival and gave a sympathetic understanding of our hardship. Within minutes, we had a room, and were drinking pina coladas at the beach. Now that is good service!

Months before the trip we had read the reviews on line about Ocean Pointe and most of them were bad so we were hesitant but decided to give it a try ..worst mistake ever!
Ocean Pointe is deserving of every gloomy review, and was, by far, the worst travel experience of our lives. It is unfortunate that we tried Ocean Pointe rather than going with a name that we know just to save a few bucks. We will never do that again and we would never recommend Ocean Point to anyone!

Stayed March 2005
17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Mansfield, UK
Reviewed April 18, 2005

We stayed at the Ocean Pointe Suites between April 6th and 13th 2005, having booked it as a birthday treat for my wife. After reading some of the reviews on here, I began to think I had made a mistake but how wrong I was.

We found the place clean, the staff friendly and had a great time!

We stayed in condo 2302 which was on the third floor of building 2. It was a very clean, one bed, two bath condo with all the necessary kitchen and laundry appliances. The sea view was there but was slightly restricted by the corner of building 3, but hey I didn't spend a lot of time out there and the view was still great!

The pool was large and clean with a jacuuzzi as well. There was a lane seperated off for those who wanted to do laps. There were always plenty of sun loungers, but I could see there being a shortage at the busier times of the year.

There was a small beach area with a volleyball net and two floodlit tennis courts for the more active.

A complimentary breakfast was available in the cafe area adjoined to the reception. It was a choice of cereals, bagels, muffins, fruit and drinks. Again I could see it getting quite cramped at busier times of year. For those that didn't like it, then there's always the cooking facilities in your suite or the numerous eateries on the nearby US1 who served breakfasts.

We had a fantastic stay and found it an ideal base pretty central between Miami and Key West. We will definitely go back and would highly recommend it.

31 Thank Keith M
Reviewed April 6, 2005

This is our third time visiting this property and expected the same as in previous years. I admit we arrived a little early and didn't expect our room to be ready. That was OK since we wanted to go get some lunch. When we came back again, I went up to the front desk area, we were told that the room was ready, however, they needed to bring us towels. We told them that was fine, we just wanted to drop our luggage off and relax down by the beach. All the beach chairs were taken, no place to sit other than the HARD concrete-like sand. Not very comfortable. The pool was filled as well, no chairs there either. OH WELL, let's make the best of it. We finally found a couple of plastic balcony chairs and sat in them. When we finally went back to the room, we noticed no towels were delivered as promised. Called the front desk and asked, "I'm sorry sir, we'll get someone to bring them". Waited an hour an a half, NO TOWELS. Called again, "I"m sorry sir, the cleaning people have left for the day, and they have the key to the towel room. You can have beach towels." These were like sand paper, but made the best of it. We now noticed how dirty our room really was. Carpet was filthy, bathroom was in need of repairs, mold in the grout and floors, kitchen area was smelly, and we asked for a non-smoking room and the place reeked of smoke. The kind that is in the carpet, curtains, walls etc. We made the best of it. The next day we decided to head down to Key West for the day, since our place was all jammed up. Notified the front desk of our towel situation and they assured us, we would have them for sure. NOPE, we came back around 9 PM, no one stepped into our place to clean up, or bring our our towels. After many complaints, we just gave up and used the same beach towels that we had from yesterday. The lesson in all of this is, bring your own towels or put up with NO SERVICE. The "continental breakfast" is a joke. If you like bagels and muffins, then you're all set. This is the last time for us at this place. Not bad for a mediocre place. Looks nice, but, unkept. Staff is really appologetic, but, does nothing to help you.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tavernier
Atlantic Bay Resort
#5 of 20 in Key Largo
Coconut Palm Inn
Coconut Palm Inn
#2 of 20 in Key Largo

Been to Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo? Share your experiences!