“Great stay at Florida key's”

Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Tavernier
“Great stay at Florida key's”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

We took the two bedrooms suits which was great
Master bed was really comfy
Second room had two twin
Large leaving room area with kitchen table
Kitchen was also good addition
Washer and drier in the room
Very clean and friendly service

Pool area was very nice including hot tub

Beach area was little far and hardly no sand

Stayed December 2013
Kaitlin D, Administrative Assistant at Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
On behalf of our staff we appreciate you taking the time to review our property. Thank you for choosing Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo as your destination of choice when visiting the Florida Keys. We value your comments and observations in reference to your most recent stay. We hope your future travels bring you back to Ocean Pointe.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (563)
  • Polish first
Homestead, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

Very disappointed with our experience at Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo. We booked a two bedroom and stayed in room # 2407 for two nights from 12/20/13-12/22/13 with our three children and in-laws. I wish I had read these reviews before booking. You do not get what you see in the professional photos. This is total false advertisement.

As far as the little positive feedback I have; the master bedroom had a fairly new bedroom set. The mattress in the master bedroom was clean and very comfortable. The washer and dryer in the unit were also upgraded. The a/c was also working very well. The staff was very friendly and attentive upon checking in. The facility grounds were well maintained.

Here goes the negative. My biggest issue with this place was that the kitchen had a roach issue. You can tell the place has been fumigated because a lot of the roaches were found dead. Nevertheless, it was quite disgusting and unpleasant to have small roaches all over the kitchen floor, pantry and counter top. I am 7 months pregnant and could barely get myself to eat any of the food we brought or cooked. Aside from the master bedroom and washer/dryer, the rest of the unit was outdated and old looking.

After we unpacked and started getting ready to go to sleep (and before we noticed the roach issue), we pulled out the sleeper sofa and one of our teenage boys laid on the bed and his feet sunk through the bottom of the frame. There was a broken coil on the sleeper sofa frame that caused the corner end to sink in. I called front desk and they immediately sent over a maintenance person who told me he would not be able to fix it and they offered to switch our rooms. They did immediately bring us a key for another room on a different floor and we went to check it out but the rooms were even older looking than the room we were in. My husband didn't want to go through the trouble of moving all our stuff so we decided to just stay in the original room and our teenage boys had to put a chair under the edge of the sleeper sofa to hold the mattress from caving in. After I showered the following morning I opened up a towel to find it with stains that appeared as if the towel was placed on a dirty surface after folding it. The master bedroom comforter had a blood stain on it that was covered by another sheet that was placed on top of it. (see my photos)

Every time we passed by a room with the doors or windows open I would peak in to see if the rooms were nicer than ours and they were pretty much all the same. If 90% of the units are not remodeled they should not be using pictures of their nicest units to advertise. That's not what you are getting. All this does is set up guests for disappointment. Honesty is the best policy.

If it had not been because my mother in law had been looking forward to this trip for a long time and they planned to go fishing that night I would have asked for a refund and driven back home or found another hotel. I really wish the hotel management would have shown more concern about the roach and bed issue and offered some sort of compensation. This really took away from the pleasant impression I received from the staff upon checking in.

On the morning we were checking out I was alone in the room with my son and I heard someone open the door. Thinking it was my husband I walked out of the room in my pj's and found the cleaning lady entering the room. Keep in mind this was at 10:45am (15 minutes before regular checkout time) and we had been given an extended check out until 12pm anyways. The lady didn't even knock before entering.

On my way to check out and drop off the keys I encountered maintenance staff pressure cleaning the area below the check in office. The floor was tiled and was all wet. Again, I am 7 months pregnant and was concerned I would slip and fall which thankfully did not happen. I don't understand why the facility would conduct these type of activities right at check out time when guests have to go up the stairs to check out.

Our experience this weekend was overall negative. I tried to make the best of the weekend getaway but honestly I would have been better off staying at home.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank Cristina T
Thank you for taking the time to review Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo. We take pride in our property and strive to exceed guest expectations. When we fall short we share your disappointment. On behalf of our staff please accept our sincerest apologies. We have brought your concerns to the attention of the appropriate department manager and assure you we will follow up with them in addressing all your concerns.

Travelers are raving about these Tavernier hotels

Davie, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

This place was great. The staff was super friendly. I got my room upgraded from a single bedroom with an island view to a two bedroom condo with a full kitchen and an ocean view. This place was amazing. The pool/hot tub was also great, especially considering there was a bar right next to the pool. I would highly recommend this place to anyone looking for a hotel in this area.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
On behalf of our staff we thank you for taking the time to review our property. Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo appreciates your genuinely positive comments in reference to your most recent stay. We look forward to serving you as our loyal guest again in the near future.
Altamonte Springs, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

Friendly staff. They upgraded our unit to an ocean view. They are individually owned condos that people rent. We only stayed one night on our way to Key West but I would stay again. They have a private beach and a tropical atmosphere. Very nice.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank cel201
Fort Collins, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

We arrived after dark and had to through the back entrance due to parking lot being paved. That wasn't a problem, and the gate guard was friendly. The front counter clerk was also friendly. Finding the room was a little confusing. The map they give out shows each building having a name, but the signage refers to building numbers. The room was about what you would expect for the price, maybe even just a bit more. There were large flat screens in the main room and bedroom, and the bed was comfortable. I slept well until the refrigerator starting making a loud howling noise. The "continental breakfast" was toasted bagel and 6oz O.J. My overall impression is that your experience is going to vary quite a bit depending on where your room is. Some of the rooms overlook the marina and are closer to the ocean. Others are farther away without much view. It's not the kind of place your going to sit and relax at. The real disappointment was that you have to pay for wireless. This is the first time I've encountered this and I have to say that had I known this ahead of time it would have been a deal breaker (@ $7/night). This is the kind of amenity that travelers expect, probably even more than a telephone.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Wildjohn2
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

Just got back from a 4 night stay at Ocean Point Resort. I was a little nervous reading some of the reviews, but we had a great stay!! We had a 2 bedroom condo, 4th floor ocean view. It was not as fancy as the ones in the pictures, but nicely decorated, clean, and everything was in working order. We enjoyed the pool area, beach and view from the bar! It was a nice 4 days. However, all these bad reviews could be eliminated if the Ocean Point management forced the owners to udated their condo if they want it to be rented. It only gives the whole resort a bad reputation if a few rooms are not well kept. It would be easy to walk into each and every condo with a to do list for the owners. If they dont upgrade the unit, they dont get rented. So, all these follow ups on this site from management is just lip service they could solve this problem if they really wanted to!

Room Tip: Make sure you get an updated room, don't settle for less!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank dive4funbrian
Kaitlin D, Administrative Assistant at Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
On behalf of our staff we appreciate you taking the time to review our property. Thank you for choosing Ocean Pointe Suites as your destination of choice when visiting the Florida Keys. We value your comments and observations in reference to your most recent stay. We hope your future travels bring you back to Ocean Pointe.

We also wanted to inform you we absolutely follow up with all guest concerns. Any Trip Advisor in which specific details are mentioned we privately message each reviewer to inquire as to which room they stayed in. Then we follow up with our Housekeeping Manager, Rooms Quality Manager, and General Manager to inspect the room, and provide our owners with feedback and detailed plans for improvement. We have an internal rating system and if any suites fall short we contact our owners immediately. Ocean Pointe Suites can assure you there is an entire quality process behind every detail. If there is a specific suite number or details you would like to share please feel free to contact kdalton@opsuites.com. Thank you!
Springfield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

We had a picture postcard view of the marina and ocean. The rooms were nice sized,
nicely decorated and clean. We enjoyed the pool and the grounds. For the price you
can't beat these accommodations. We hope to return someday. Thanks for the great
experience

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tavernier
Hampton Inn Key Largo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,234 reviews
Creekside Inn Islamorada
Creekside Inn Islamorada
#4 of 4 in Tavernier

Been to Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo? Share your experiences!