“Wish we'd stayed longer”

Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Tavernier
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I booked this hotel as part of a package with my flights through Flightcentre.co.uk and didn't have chance to check reviews before booking.
My booking didn't show an arrival time and when we got there at 3pm our room was not yet ready. We went along to a local eatery for a late lunch and returned an hour later to find everything ready for us. We had a voucher from Flightcentre and check in was very quick and easy.
We stayed in Building 5, on the second floor, which was a lovely 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment. Spotlessly clean and well maintained. Very well furnished and with a great kitchen. One double room and a twin room. We stayed only 2 nights and ate out both nights but if staying longer it would be no problem to stock up and prepare meals on the property.There is a large fridge/freezer, a big cooker and a washer/dryer available to use. Plenty of towels in the bathroom and pool towels also provided. An iron & ironing board and a safe are also provided.
Parking right outside the building and a very short walk to the reception building, the onsite pool and the beach. Plenty of sun loungers available. The property is in a gated community with the units all privately owned - felt very safe.
There is a bar/snack bar and little shop selling a few basics in the reception building and all the staff we met were very pleasant.
If we ever return to Key Largo this would be my first choice of hotel. There is so much to see and do in the Florida Keys and I wish we had booked a couple of extra days just to relax on the beach.

Room Tip: The property has several buildings and I understand the units are all different as they are privatel...
1  Thank rosiewillow
Kaitlin D, Administrative Assistant at Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

On behalf of our staff we thank you for taking the time to review our property. Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo appreciates your genuinely positive comments in reference to your most recent stay. We look forward to serving you as our loyal guest again in the near future.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

My husband and I returned to Ocean Point Suites for 9 nights in October - previously, we had stayed for a short trip in February and enjoyed it so much we planned to return.
We really enjoy this property, the location, the conveniences, and the staff. While the condos are not "perfect" in every way, they are comfortable and the view is excellent. I understand all rooms are different, so if you get one you don't like, tell the front desk and see if they can move you. You need access to a vehicle to fully enjoy a longer stay at this location. There is plenty of free parking.
The pool is lovely, and a nice peaceful way to relax, although we both got a few bug bites sitting around in the shade here. The grounds are well kept and clean. The staff are friendly and we had absolutely no worries about safety and security while here, either our room or our rental vehicle.
We stayed in room 2311, which is Building 2, Floor 3, Room 11. Although this unit was not quite as nicely renovated as the one we stayed in February, we had a balcony and gorgeous view from both the sitting room and our bedroom. We made good use of the oven, microwave, dishwasher, and washer/dryer - all worked perfectly.
In short, this a great resort and good value - if you get a decent room, you are set. If you are picky and demand only the best, don't stay here - pay more up the highway for the major hotel. If you are sensible and flexible, try this place and see how great it really is!
We will be returning again for another stay in the future.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

I would give Ocean Point four stars except for a few things. I believe a resort should offer more free amenities that they do not. They charge for wifi and also charge to use the Kayaks,and possibly more things that I do not know about.

The suites are very nice and have all the comforts of home, except they do not supply dishwasher soap for the dishwashers and the sliding glass patio doors seem to go off track very easily and are hard to put back together and they stick.

I have been a guest two times in two different suites which were both nice, decorated differently by the owners of the units. I do think is should be mandatory for the owners to put in black out shades or blinds in the front bedroom windows- the 2nd suite I stayed in had very sheer blinds and Im sure people can see through them at night and they didnt block out the sun in the morning.
All in all i do love this place and I will be returning for another trip in Dec! They sent me a 10% discount for another stay before Jan 1st. Thank you :)

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank TravelSwiss2009
Kaitlin D, Administrative Assitant at Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

On behalf of our staff we appreciate you taking the time to review our property. Thank you for choosing Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo as your destination of choice when visiting the Florida Keys. We value your comments and observations in reference to your most recent stay. We hope your future travels bring you back to Ocean Pointe.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for our anniversary. We had stayed here last year with friends and liked it so much we came back. it is near the beginning of the Keys which is good as we like to scuba dive.
When the staff had seen we had stayed here before and that we were here for our anniversary they upgrded our rom at no extra cost.
This is a better deal than at the hotels as there was a full kitchenand we were not having to eat out for all our meals. they have a nice pool and added a pool bar since our last stay.
As these are condos and not a hotel don't expect maid service every day. However if you do need something you just have to call the front desk and they are right on it. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are on the upper floors.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Kaitlin D, Administrative Assistant at Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Our family took a trip to key west in June, and this hotel was our stop-over for the night. The hotel sits close to the beach and owns a huge piece of land there. It's also quiet just off the freeway. The suite we got was spacious and adequate. In the morning we got thunderstorm and could see rainbow straight from our balcony. The hotel seems to be a great place to spend time by itself, unfortunately we were in a hurry and didn't get to enjoy all the facilities. Will definitely stay in future.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I spent 3 nights here for the second half of our honeymoon on our way back home to Key West. Overall we really enjoyed our stay, but this property didn't quite live up to its expectations.

Pros:
Our room was beautiful! (Room #2303) It was very modern and well appointed. These units are indivually owned and I had read horror stories of getting an old room so I'm glad that didn't happen to us.
Parking was easy and plentiful
The pool was very nice
The property is centrally located so it made trips to key largo or islamorada very easy
The security staff at the gate always had a smile on their face when they let you in, they seemed to really enjoy their job and the guests!

Cons:
The front desk staff: there was a book in our room highlighting all sorts of trips and activities that can be arranged, it had Ocean Pointes logo on it and said something along the lines of "let us help you plan your trip". I called to inquire about the fishing trip noted on the list and the girl at the desk simply says "I don't know." It was like pulling teeth getting her to find out the answer to my question. Don't advertise that the resort will plan your trips and not educated your staff on said trips. I didn't get the name of the girl I spoke with but she couldn't have been more eager to get me off the phone.
The "ocean view" I paid for was definitely partial and should have been priced as such, I live in the keys so I understand mangroves surround our islands, but I saw 3x as much greenery as I did water.

Overall it was a good trip. Would I come back? Probably not. I would recommend it to families though, just make sure to plan your own trip and don't rely on the staff here to do so for you!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank nekelli

Reviewed October 18, 2013

Our first stop in The Keys, after drving down from Tampa ,was a peaceful affair .The room we had booked was 'nt ready so we were upgraded to a suite that was as big as my flat,lovely views out to sea.Our receptionist "Martha" was very helpful in suggesting a great place for a Birthday dinner and organising a taxi .Unfortunately we were on the move to Key West the next day but would definitely return........one day

Room Tip: Our Suite was a fair walk to the beach/bar/pool ....but if youre more active near the tennis courts
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tavernier
Atlantic Bay Resort
#2 of 20 in Key Largo
Dove Creek Lodge
Dove Creek Lodge
#7 of 20 in Key Largo

Been to Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo? Share your experiences!