“Don't stay here”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Tavernier
Sonoma
“Don't stay here”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Don't even think about staying here. They REFUSED to cancel my reservation a month and a half in advance and INSISTED on charging me the full amount for my 3 nights. Not just one night, ALL THREE. I called in advance before making the reservation to check their policy and they ASSURED me repeatedly that it was fully refundable if I cancel up to a week in advance.

They insisted that I was given a special rate and therefore non-refundable when actually it was the same rate across the board. This is a horrible policy I have only seen used at 2 star airport hotels but it seems that's what they aspire to be. A woman in reservations said she had no way to cancel the reservation which wasn't true.

I opened a dispute through American Express and I still couldn't get my $714.18 for 3 nights back because the Accounting Manager told a HUGE lie and said I never cancelled the reservation. So to summarize, the reservations woman says she can't cancel the reservation then manager said I never cancelled the reservation so it's not refundable. Nice work guys. I've reopened the dispute and will keep fighting this until I get my money back.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank traveller3482

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (579)
  • Polish first
Pompano Beach, Fl
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We arrived at Ocean Pointe Suites Yesterday 4/25/2013 planing to stay 2 nights. In order to get a decent room we had to look at 4 different rooms. We finally found one that looked good enough to stay in. Well we were up at 5 AM and found Roches running around the kitchen.
We immediately left the place. I wouldn't stay here again if they gave me a free room. Most of the property is run down with very old furnishings and furniture. Not a well cared for place.

Room Tip: You will need to look at many rooms to find a decent one.
6 Thank broker6000
Kaitlin D, Administrative Assistant at Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo. We take pride in our property and strive to exceed guest expectations. When we fall short we share your disappointment. On behalf of our staff please accept our sincerest apologies. We have brought your concerns to the attention of the appropriate department manager and assure you we will follow up with them in addressing all your concerns.

Travelers are raving about these Tavernier hotels

Miami, Florida
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Rooms – were nice and quaint. The unit we had (1207) was very plain. Nothing out of this world. But then again if you’ve done condo rentals before you know that this is all you need. Clean beds, bathrooms and a full size kitchen to do what you wish for breakfast and a few lunches! Two rooms very plainly decorated but nice and clean – no cobwebs or dirty corners. Regular size TV in master bedroom and living room plus a queen size sleeper sofa. There was a washer/dryer combo – dated but useful. A small balcony you can admire the outside for a few but only big enough for one person. The walls are thin and most of the guests were not cognizant that others might still be sleeping at 7:30AM. It felt like every morning a group of kids were running the halls. The pool is a decent size and makes up for the small make-shift beach they have towards the back. Still a nice little beach for a handful of people. Keep in mind though that the Keys – any part of it – do not have natural beaches so many of these places will have a man-made beach for your enjoyment. So you can’t hold it against them if they try to re-create such an environment. The staff for the most part was helpful but do not plan on having a huge area for eating in their “restaurant/lounge”. They have a full bar but not really a full service restaurant/sit down area. They do try. There's a CVS and a Winn Dixie around the corner for any last minute needs plus tons of great restaurants to eat at! Overall I will come back if I can get the Groupon pricing or a more competitive price based on their regular rates. We did enjoy it and while it might be a bit dated it’s a place you can come to and crash for a few days of R&R.

Room Tip: Go with an open mind...sleep, eat, relax...no other luxuries needed!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Simba9960
Kaitlin D, Administrative Assistant at Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
On behalf of our staff we appreciate you taking the time to review our property. Thank you for choosing Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo as your destination of choice when visiting the Florida Keys. We value your comments and observations in reference to your most recent stay. We hope your future travels bring you back to Ocean Pointe.
Wautoma, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 23, 2013

This place was gorgeous. The suites were very clean, It was a plus that they had a washer and dryer. Beach wasn't that good during low tide. Didn't get a chance to see it during high tide though. Pool area was nice and clean. This hotel made me feel like I was in my own home. Wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. Great price as well! Best hotel I have stayed in witht he best price.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Kaitlin D, Administrative Assistant at Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
On behalf of our staff we thank you for taking the time to review our property. Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo appreciates your genuinely positive comments in reference to your most recent stay. We look forward to serving you as our loyal guest again in the near future.
Hudsonville, Michigan
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We recently received a weeks stay at OP as an early Christmas present from my in-laws. We are a fishing family so they thought this would be a great place for us to go. You need a boat to do any fishing in the keys we now know. I know what they paid for us to go and would not recommend paying what they did for it. The site that she booked it off from stated that this place rarely comes up for reservations. I did not look at reviews on tripadvisor as I had seen them on another site and they looked amazing (and I didn't want to be disappointed if I saw bad ones) Well, I should have looked. We did request building 5 and a top floor to which they happily accommodated and the view was amazing. I was however terribly disappointed in the room. We stayed in 5411 and it was old, musty, and not very well kept. There were no dish towels for drying dishes, a very small bottle of dish soap (I had to ask for another one as it didn't seem to clean very well at all), no dishwasher detergent and no laundry detergent. I only bought laundry soap in the packs as I needed to do some laundry and those small packs I could put in my luggage to get them home to Michigan. The only thing new in the room were the TV'S. The couch and beds all sagged underneath which to me meant they were old (the king bed in master was not to shabby but not great). There were no pizza pans or cookie sheets to put in the oven. The oven itself smoked at first use and was very old. We bought disposable aluminium pans to broil our fish on. We were told when we checked in on Saturday that we would get room service on Tuesday and we never received it. We then thought they forgot and it would be on Weds. while we went to Key West and upon our return found it not done either. I called the front desk and asked if we could get it for in the morning and they said yes. They finally showed up at 2:00 in the afternoon and actually brought hand towels, trash bags, dish soap and extra towels. I was thrilled to get new towels as we had been using a bath towel for drying our dishes. Thank goodness my mother- in- law suggested I take some paper plates along so I had a break from cleaning as they did not have more than 6 of anything there. The pool was good and that is where the kids spent most of their time. Not much to do here so our kids were bored and you had to pay for kayak use if you wanted to go fishing outside of beach/ marina area. My youngest chased geckos most of the time. My hubby and I went to the bar area a couple times, but be sure to get a map of the place as it has a "buy 1 get 1 free" drinks special. We never knew there was a "happy hour" time and drinks were $8 each so we did not do this much. Overall it was a nice and clean property and quiet too. Don't go in the mangrove area next to marina by building 5 as it seemed to be the dumping ground for everything. Lots of glass and garbage and debris from tree trimming and plants. We just looked over it from our tiny balcony. If anything, they need to update and/or require rooms to be updated as this place could be so much more and maybe even incorporate more children's stuff like a splash pad area. I think they could even consider extending the beach as well on the other side of the marina towards other units. I was not able to view this area but I know the only beach was by the clubhouse and it may have been nicer for those in buildings 1,2,& 3.
We will be back to the area just might stay a different place, to see what else is there and for sure one with a motorboat included : )

Room Tip: Request Building 5 and a top floor room so you don't have to hear foot steps above you. But you...
1 Thank Becky S
Merritt Island, Florida, United States
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Our room was great (Ocean View). These are condo units so each room is different but ours was very good. There was some wear on the floor and the stove is way outdated but the bathrooms were updated and more like 5 star (shower was incredible).

Front desk guy was awesome! I am a stickler for customer service and this guy was amazing. The pool and tennis courts are very good. The beach is not that great but the beaches in the keys are not that great anywhere.

The only real negative was the beds could have been more comfy!

We have already decided we are coming back in May!

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Kaitlin D, Administrative Assistant at Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Oak Forest, Illinois
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Our room was a little outdated, but it was clean and that's what is most important. View of the water was great, and it was very quiet in our building...couldn't hear any outside noise which was great. Loved having 2 bathrooms in our 1 bedroom suite - definitely a plus. We got an awesome deal for this room on Groupon - and it was definitely worth it.

Room Tip: Building 4 on the top floor had a great view of the ocean.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tavernier
Atlantic Bay Resort
#5 of 20 in Key Largo
Coconut Palm Inn
Coconut Palm Inn
#2 of 20 in Key Largo

Been to Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo? Share your experiences!