“The Diving Experience At It's Best” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Captain Slate's SCUBA Adventures

Captain Slate's SCUBA Adventures
Ranked #3 of 25 Tours in Tavernier
More attraction details
Owner description: Operating since 1978, CAPTAIN SLATE'S SCUBA ADVENTURES is the premier dive, snorkel, and glass bottom boat operator. Located in Tavernier, we take groups to dive or snorkel at the best sites off of the Florida Keys. With three boats , your voyage experience is kept personable, relaxed, and exclusive. Don't forget - a visit to the Keys is not complete without the world famous Creature Feature! Our highly qualified staff offers PADI, NAUI, SDI, TDI, SEI, IANTD, DAN certifications and more, so start or continue your dive education here! What are you waiting for? Book your diving adventure!
Tampa, Florida
“The Diving Experience At It's Best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2011

Captain Slate's Dive Center took me on the best dives I've been on in the keys. If you are looking for an amazing dive experience, this is the place for you.

Jen, manning the fort, greets you with a smile, great sense of humor, and all the paperwork...
Captain Slate lures the creatures of the "City of Washington" wreck into your arms during the creature feature dive...
Captain Wes offers a wonderfully executed ride out to the reef and expert knowledge of the local waters...
Adam turns any diving dream into a reality...
and Thom will talk your ear off with great stories all while gaffing the mooring line and getting you and your gear aboard safely...

the crew: the best
the location: paradise
the dive: awesome

Thanks to everyone at Captain Slate's....now you'll never get rid of me !

See you next time !

Visited March 2011

Normal, Illinois
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Best part of my spring break trip!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2011

We got there around noon and decided to do the 2 location snorkel. At first we thought we would go out on a glass bottom boat but that is for 1 location only.. and the 1 location is 2 hrs vs. 4 hrs for 2 locations... so we opted for the longer trip. The gears include mask, fins, and life jacket, but we wanted to play it safe and got shorties for $7.50. This was well worth it because even though the water temperature was 70F +, it was still cold for us.

We had Adam, Tom, and Wes (captain) on our boat and they were all super duper friendly... definitely entertaining. Compared to Sunset water sports in Key West, these guys are much more personable... definitely more of a family feel. I even got to drive the boat for a little bit because Wes was just that cool! Tom went in the water with all the snorkelers to help those with little experience and those who were having troubles. He was definitely attentive and patient with new snorkelers. He even took my friend by the hand to help her feel comfortable in the open water while getting familiar with breathing through the mask. He also helped me take underwater pictures...which turned out awesome by the way! Our first site had very good visibility. We could see through the bottom and it was 20 ft deep. We saw parades of barracudas (they look intimidating but none of us got bitten, so...) and many many colorful fish. The only thing that disappointed me was that the reefs were not colorful. Adam was the dive instructor and he was absolutely hilarious. I could not have asked for a better crew.

The boat rides took about 40 mins there and 40 mins back. This may seem long but inner reefs aren't as beautiful as the outer reefs, which obviously would take longer to get there. Despite the rather long boat ride, the view is gorgeous. You get to relax and take in the beautiful scenery. One of the best $50 I've ever spent.

After this experience, I definitely want to be a certified diver. And this would be the place I go to get certified.

Highly recommended.

Visited March 2011
Ann Arbor Michigan, USA
“Great experience, great instructor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2011

Spent 4 days diving with the crew of Captain Slate's and not only learned a lot (Did my advanced trianing) but had a great time. Adam was my dive instructor, never once did I feel unsafe. He routinely asked me if I was comfortable and ready for the next task at hand. Adam did a stellar job in my training. Captain Slate's came highly recomended and lived up to its billing. I found all the staff very friendly and helpful.

Visited February 2011
Boston
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Worst place to dive”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2011

Dived the Spiegel with this operation back in January. We were in a larger group, and was expecting a boat for ourselves, but instead, they packed us onto another boat with at least 10 other people. The experience was cramped, chaotic, and disorienting.

The captain and deckhand were not identified, and no briefing (safety or divesite) were provided. We were pretty much left on our own.

Would NEVER dive with these guys again.

Visited January 2011
3 Thank jjykim
San Diego, California
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Slow”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2011

I found out that on other trips they do fish feeding. Learned from my friend that the new school of thought is that this is detrimental to wild animal behavior. He also said that he thought is was illegal in this area. Guess they have some sort of exemption. Regardless, I didn't really like the boat that much because it took so long to get there and I saw a bunch of other boats pass us. Later I drove to some of the other places and found a couple of shops that had nicer staff and seemed to be more my style. I'll try them out next time.

2 Thank SnowWorry