“Wonderful Experience”

Captain Slate's SCUBA Adventures
Ranked #3 of 25 Tours in Tavernier
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Operating since 1978, CAPTAIN SLATE'S SCUBA ADVENTURES is the premier dive, snorkel, and glass bottom boat operator. Located in Tavernier, we take groups to dive or snorkel at the best sites off of the Florida Keys. With three boats , your voyage experience is kept personable, relaxed, and exclusive. Don't forget - a visit to the Keys is not complete without the world famous Creature Feature! Our highly qualified staff offers PADI, NAUI, SDI, TDI, SEI, IANTD, DAN certifications and more, so start or continue your dive education here! What are you waiting for? Book your diving adventure!
Key Largo
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2011

This was my first experience snorkeling. The staff were very helpful and gave me encouragement. Thanks to Will I was able to relax and enjoy my experience. Jenn also gave me much needed reassurance. I should point out I am a senior citizen and not accustomed to ocean activities. I will certainly try it again and recommend Captain
Slates if you want friendly helpful service plus a loy of fun.

1 Thank southfloridatiger

Le Claire, Iowa
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Diving the Florida Marine Park with Captain Slate”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2011

I had the best open water diving experience of my life and have been diving since 1972. The dive shop staff and crew are super. They're professional, proficient, caring and their easy good humor makes for a great atmosphere in the shop and on the boat. They booked me into the Hampton Inn for $99/night. Rooms are gorgeous and spacious. They too have a wonderful, caring staff. The dives were super, the Friday "Creature Feature" is particularly exciting. Pet and hug the sharks. It's a blast! I wouldn't dive the Park with any other shop.

3 Thank LWJohnsen
Miami, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Took care of me on my first dives...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2011

I cannot express how thankful I am for the crew of Captain Slate's Atlantis Dive Center. This past weekend was my first time diving and they could tell I was nervous. They took care to always ask me how I was doing and were extremely helpful throughout both days.

Visited May 2011
1 Thank ABMontes01
Miami Beach, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Not as glamorous as they look; would look elsewhere if you want a nice time"”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2011

Being a tourist, we saw a big beautiful building which avertised snorkeling, which we were looking to do. Inside, there was big beautiful pictures with Captin Slate and numerous fish, 'CHRIST of the sea,' and a beautiful coral reef with beautiful fish, ect. The man behind the counter was a cantankerous man, and lead us to believe they were one of the only place providing the sevice. He talked so fast I couldnt understand him(looking back, I think he was purposefully doing this to confuse us as he was throwing around figures and times), and when I asked a couple questions he got very irritated. I should have moved on, but lead to believe they were one of the very few that took snorkelers, and they happened to have a couple seats avialable, we took them. It took 40 minutes to get to our destination, and then add 10-15 minutes for the 'glass bottom boat' (which I have to say is quite a joke; they lifted the seat up we were sitting on, and eveyone stood around this in choppy seas almost falling on each other). After finally getting there, and listening to alot of bad jokes from Gene, the mate, (we were given our equipement along the way, which looks like it all had been used for about ten years.) We were parked next to nice boats, and given no direction except to not touch the coral reef. We had to swim quite a long way to get to the reef, and this was my husbands first time. He was extremely nervous, I tryed to talk to him and help him feel safe, but he had no trust that the swim vests would hold him up. He swam back to the boat three times to get new equipment as the first vest had a hole in it and that was what started his panic. The crew did nothing to help him, he was in shere panic by the time he returned to the boat the second time, and the crew just got a good laugh at it. My facemask leaked the entire snorkeling experience, the boat was so far away I didnt want to take the time to return to the boat to get new, as we only had 40 minutes as it was. The trip for me was a disaster. And my poor husband will probably never get in the water again to go snorkeling, I mean this, he was traumatized by the experience. And he is right, the boat was so far away if something happened they couldnt get to you, and I dont think they even cared or would try. When I climbed back in the boat I handed the mask to the captin (I think it was Elmo) and told him I thought it had a leak as it leaked the entire 40 minutes (I had to keep stoping and emptying the mask, I tryed tighting it, I tryed everything), he thru it back in the bucket with the rest of them and said, 'maybe you had it to tight,' funny, I didnt have a sucktion mark on my face, there was no marks on my face, but alot of coughing from swallowing salt water. Spend alittle more money, go with someone who is safe, and cares about they clients. NEVER WILL I GO HERE AGAIN. AND IF YOU LOVE YOUR KIDS, DONT LET THEM GO EITHER. To add insult to injury, the coral reef experience I only saw a couple fish, that was it. All those beautiful pictures were just pictures. end of story.

5 Thank reneepoirier
Long Beach, California
“Fantastic Trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2011

This was my first experience of snorkeling and was nervous about it. Our Captain Elmo and his mate Gene were very nice and friendly and made you feel very safe about what was happening and how to work the equipment. Jenn at the front desk was very pleasant and explained all you needed to know. These people really seem to enjoy their job and really like people. Great first experience !