Our visit here was extremely disappointing. We were fooled apparently by the pictures on their website and the high reviews on Tripadvisor rating it as very good or excellent but this place is terrible if you are looking for clean & functional accommodations. We booked one of their "pool view" cottages and it basically has a view of a gravel parking lot and parked cars. We entered our cottage and were greeted by a "chemical smell" that had the odor of a very strong disinfectant that was very unpleasant. We were greeted by bugs running on the floor as soon as we turned on the lights, a dead cockroach in the corner, the only lamp in the bedroom was broken (not a burned out light but the socket was pulled out and just dangling...can you say electrical shock hazard?). The condition of the cottages was terrible, where do I begin; the tile grout was black and has not been cleaned in years, the kitchen appliances were terrible (rust), the television was a vintage 1970's model, the AC was mounted on the wall over the bed in the bedroom and the louvers were broken so it blew down on your face when you slept, there was no AC in the sitting area with the pull out couch so our kids who slept in the room had no AC circulation and that room was always warm, the AC broke on the last night so we all endured one night of 90 degree weather with no AC at all, the grounds were not kept up and maintained, the landscaping was overgrown, some of the tiki hut covers around the property were literally falling apart, all the outdoor seating on the beach area was the least expensive molded plastic seats you can buy from walmart for about $3 per chair, there were a few addirondack chairs that were so filthy we could not sit on them, there was dog/cat poop on the beach from the roaming cats. Worse part was we picked this place partly because it was on the bay side of the key and they advertised "an exclusive private beach" for swimming but 50% of beach access is coral and you can't walk on it and the other 50% was either mangrove or sea grass & slim clogging the access to the water so there is no nice place to enter the water from "the beach". We were going to use the pool but it had a green shade to it and was not maintained, the decking was so warn that it had jagged and worn brick in the coping that could easily cut your hand and feet if you touched or rubbed along side it.
We did meet the front desk manager one time for about 5 minutes and she seemed nice but its clear that this "hotel" is owned by someone who just rents out the rooms and puts no money back into maintenance and cleaning. There were other problems we saw but suffice it to say we would not recommend this place at all. I also forgot to mention the mold/mildew all over the shower floor in the tile grout. Yuck..this place with its lack of maintenance, roaches, and misleading advertising/reviews should be priced for rentals at about $50 per night vs $200 per night.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Atlantic Bay Resort is nestled in Tavernier, the loveliest part of Key Largo and the diving capital of the world. We are conveniently located 1-1/2 hours south of Miami, and 2 hours north of Key West, the southernmost tip of the continental USA. The little jewel we call Atlantic Bay is a small resort that faces the Gulf of Mexico's Florida Bay. It is located on three tropical landscaped acres with 500 feet of waterfront. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotels.com, Orbitz and Cancelon so you can book your Atlantic Bay Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Atlantic Bay Hotel Tavernier
- Hotel Atlantic Bay
- Atlantic Bay Resort Key Largo/Tavernier